Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1093353 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #690 on: December 19, 2007, 09:33:08 AM »
anyone else hear the Led Zep Song Title Spelling Bee this morning? Truly painful.
yes, it was odd, to say the least.  What's the big Zep deal?  Are they coming to SF?  It seems like yesterday was about the Satanic message in Stairway!

The three surviving members did a reunion show in London last week, and seems like tons of Fogheads can't get enough of it. Lots of rumors, but no confirmation of any further dates at this time. As always, Plant is being rather circumspect, but he did announce European dates with Allison Krause.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #691 on: December 19, 2007, 09:36:27 AM »
anyone else hear the Led Zep Song Title Spelling Bee this morning? Truly painful.
yes, it was odd, to say the least.  What's the big Zep deal?  Are they coming to SF?  It seems like yesterday was about the Satanic message in Stairway!
The three surviving members did a reunion show in London last week, and seems like tons of Fogheads can't get enough of it. Lots of rumors, but no confirmation of any further dates at this time. As always, Plant is being rather circumspect, but he did announce European dates with Allison Krause.
yes, even I know about the reunion, and it sounds like it was a good show, but it just seems like a little excess; but then again, excess is what it's all about, eh?   ;D
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: December 19, 2007, 09:49:25 AM »
yes, even I know about the reunion, and it sounds like it was a good show, but it just seems like a little excess; but then again, excess is what it's all about, eh?   ;D

In conjunction with the reunion show, they have released yet-another best-of CD and have released a remastered version of Song Remains the Same with bonus tracks. And those two goodies are a Morning Show prize giveaway every day this week. Hence the "spelling bee", in which folks thought "D'yer Mak'er" began with "G" or "J".

CG's website has a story saying Percy's put the kibosh on a reunion tour.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: December 19, 2007, 09:54:54 AM »

Was "Carouselambra" one of them?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: December 19, 2007, 09:55:32 AM »
Hey, did I miss it, or was there almost no discussion of the Concert for Kids after the fact?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: December 19, 2007, 10:12:28 AM »

Was "Carouselambra" one of them?

Yup. and the aforemention "D'yer Mak'er" and also "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" (and yes -- apostrophes and hypens count!)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: December 19, 2007, 10:13:55 AM »
Hey, did I miss it, or was there almost no discussion of the Concert for Kids after the fact?

I heard them talk about what a fab time they had during the first hour the next morning -- but then that hour's all I usually hear of the Morning Show

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: December 20, 2007, 09:28:15 AM »
Yesterday Dave read the "live" Sharks spot -- "You like your Thornton getting raves and your Nabokov making saves" -- and mispronounced Nabokov.  So today he read it again and simply deleted the Nabokov part.  Guess he doesn't follow hockey -- there's no Latino players ;)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: December 21, 2007, 09:52:33 AM »
Who's singing lead on this new Eagles tune, "Somebody"?  Doesn't quite sound like Frey to me, and I know it's not Henley. I only realized it was the Iggles when the harmonies kicked in.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: December 21, 2007, 10:08:34 AM »
Who's singing lead on this new Eagles tune, "Somebody"?  Doesn't quite sound like Frey to me, and I know it's not Henley. I only realized it was the Iggles when the harmonies kicked in.

I only heard it once, but I though it was Frey.

ETA: according to the AMG review:

"...the second disc of Long Road Out of Eden...generally feels stuck in the late '80s, as Walsh spends seven minutes grooving on "Last Good Time in Town" as if he were a Southwestern Jimmy Buffett with a worldbeat penchant, Glenn Frey sings Jack Tempchin and John Brannen's "Somebody" as if it were a sedated, cheerful "Smuggler's Blues," and the whole thing feels polished with outdated synthesizers."
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: December 21, 2007, 10:16:59 AM »

I only heard it once, but I though it was Frey.

ETA: according to the AMG review:

"...the second disc of Long Road Out of Eden...generally feels stuck in the late '80s, as Walsh spends seven minutes grooving on "Last Good Time in Town" as if he were a Southwestern Jimmy Buffett with a worldbeat penchant, Glenn Frey sings Jack Tempchin and John Brannen's "Somebody" as if it were a sedated, cheerful "Smuggler's Blues," and the whole thing feels polished with outdated synthesizers."

his voice/my ears are both getting old, I guess...

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
Actually 10@10 related
« Reply #701 on: December 21, 2007, 11:05:13 PM »
Hey all -- the new board looks swanky.  Glad all the old posts got migrated over in the update.  :-}

Actually this is 10@10 related... my wife heard a funny "sound button/bite" during NPR's Fresh Air the other day.

She swears it was a classical cover of that song that Dave often plays during 10@10s that has a latin sound/beat to it and a woman exclaiming "Ai, ai..." in ecstacy.

Does anybody know what song that is?  Maybe I'll have to post an audio of my wife doing her version of it to help.  ;-}

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Actually 10@10 related
« Reply #702 on: December 21, 2007, 11:53:36 PM »
Hey all -- the new board looks swanky.  Glad all the old posts got migrated over in the update.  :-}

Actually this is 10@10 related... my wife heard a funny "sound button/bite" during NPR's Fresh Air the other day.

She swears it was a classical cover of that song that Dave often plays during 10@10s that has a latin sound/beat to it and a woman exclaiming "Ai, ai..." in ecstacy.

Does anybody know what song that is?  Maybe I'll have to post an audio of my wife doing her version of it to help.  ;-}

I think you mean Jungle Fever by the Chakachas. It's showed up in a few 72 sets as well as one Valentine's Day and one Thankgiving Turkey set.

But we'd still love to hear your wife's version... ;)
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: December 24, 2007, 12:21:22 AM »
Apparently the KFOG jocks have been commanded to post about their favorites of '07. Most of them tossed off a cursory post of a few hundred words or so (although Rosalie must have listed 30+ albums at least). But check out what Annalisa posted. Yikes, she goes on and on and on about her favorite shows--and none of them are currently on the kfog playlist--Iggy, Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Arcade Fire, Patti Smith, and...Kid ROCK?!? And lengthy addenda on Henry Rollins and the Dalai Lama. By far the most interesting blog she's written, and I don't think she uses the phrase "you phenomenal human being" once...

http://www.kfog.com/Blog/Blog/ViewItem.asp?id=31&Entry=2059

And what did Dave post? He ignored the edict altogether and posted some slides of Morey family Xmases past. Worth a look, you'll get to see what Dave looked like as a longhaired, hippy freak around, say, 74 I'm guessing.

http://www.kfog.com/Blog/Blog/ViewItem.asp?Entry=2055&id=35
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: December 26, 2007, 03:10:27 AM »
Apparently the KFOG jocks have been commanded to post about their favorites of '07. Most of them tossed off a cursory post of a few hundred words or so (although Rosalie must have listed 30+ albums at least). But check out what Annalisa posted. Yikes, she goes on and on and on about her favorite shows--and none of them are currently on the kfog playlist--Iggy, Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Arcade Fire, Patti Smith, and...Kid ROCK?!? And lengthy addenda on Henry Rollins and the Dalai Lama. By far the most interesting blog she's written, and I don't think she uses the phrase "you phenomenal human being" once...

http://www.kfog.com/Blog/Blog/ViewItem.asp?id=31&Entry=2059

And what did Dave post? He ignored the edict altogether and posted some slides of Morey family Xmases past. Worth a look, you'll get to see what Dave looked like as a longhaired, hippy freak around, say, 74 I'm guessing.

http://www.kfog.com/Blog/Blog/ViewItem.asp?Entry=2055&id=35

SPOILER

Turns out Dave was the missing Winter brother:

“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”