Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1093578 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #3375 on: January 22, 2015, 10:38:43 AM »
Oh hey, if anybody wants to hear a "Geezer" embarass himself, tune in for tomorrow's 7:30AM "Mind the Gap", where I miss a really easy question. To be fair, 1) I shouldn't have been using a speakerphone, 2) I should've asked them to replay the clip, 3) I had Google open, 4) the prize is a concert that's on a school-night, so we wouldn't have been able to go anyways.

Yeah, I'm just trying to make myself feel better. Also, the "hipster" was a 29-year old guy from Berkeley who's going to be on Jeopardy next month. Gah!

you're practically a part-time deejay at this point!

I meant to mention earlier that Kaiser has purchased temporary naming rights -- "from the Kaiser Permanente studio" sez the promo.  I remember when AL was on K-FOX they had the "DGDG.com studios" so it's become a widespread thing I guess.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: January 22, 2015, 10:38:54 AM »
New Releases Thursday has mysteriously morphed into... New Releases Tuesday. Renee, NoName and Greg each play a fave new song of theirs in the course of the show. Renee's pick today was Father John Misty (he's not a priest).

Yeah, that is weird how it moved to Tuesday. A search for New Release Tuesday turns up... a podcast of Christian music?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Release_Tuesday

Looks like they killed New Release Thursday back in December: http://www.kfog.com/common/more.php?m=56&r=23&mode=3&is_corp=0

Ah, here we go: https://www.facebook.com/kfogradio/posts/978388478856054

KFOG Radio
January 6 at 7:00am ·
New show for the New Year so we might as well make it New Releases TUESDAY!! Here's No name's pick for the week...do you like the latest from the Foo Fighters? ‪#‎KFOGMorningShow‬

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: January 22, 2015, 10:39:51 AM »
I meant to mention earlier that Kaiser has purchased temporary naming rights -- "from the Kaiser Permanente studio" sez the promo.  I remember when AL was on K-FOX they had the "DGDG.com studios" so it's become a widespread thing I guess.

Ah I heard that too. So weird. Does that mean they can get flu shots during the show?

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: January 22, 2015, 10:40:17 AM »
Whoa, "Today in Rock History" -- I don't think I've ever heard that canned thing before. Have they been playing it long?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: January 22, 2015, 10:44:22 AM »
New Releases Thursday has mysteriously morphed into... New Releases Tuesday. Renee, NoName and Greg each play a fave new song of theirs in the course of the show. Renee's pick today was Father John Misty (he's not a priest).

Yeah, that is weird how it moved to Tuesday. A search for New Release Tuesday turns up... a podcast of Christian music?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Release_Tuesday

Looks like they killed New Release Thursday back in December: http://www.kfog.com/common/more.php?m=56&r=23&mode=3&is_corp=0

Ah, here we go: https://www.facebook.com/kfogradio/posts/978388478856054

KFOG Radio
January 6 at 7:00am ·
New show for the New Year so we might as well make it New Releases TUESDAY!! Here's No name's pick for the week...do you like the latest from the Foo Fighters? ‪#‎KFOGMorningShow‬

radio history trivia: stations used to do a lot of special things on Thursday mornings (big contests etc) because that was the day-of-the-week that weekly Arbitron diaries traditionally started (when folks used to fill those out by hand). Now that ratings are done differently, I guess Thurs is just another day. The Peak does New Releases Wednesday, iirc.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: January 22, 2015, 10:44:55 AM »
Whoa, "Today in Rock History" -- I don't think I've ever heard that canned thing before. Have they been playing it long?

A month or two, at least. I think it's a space-filler for the stream, I don't think it goes out over the air.
Let's get right to it.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: January 23, 2015, 10:25:14 AM »

A month or two, at least. I think it's a space-filler for the stream, I don't think it goes out over the air.

Ah that would explain it, as I seldom listen to the stream.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: January 27, 2015, 07:38:31 AM »
Renee's pick for New Releases Thursday Tuesday was "Kansas City" from that New Basement Tapes project. Better late than never, I guess.

It also appears they haven't dumped Mike Inouye's traffic reports after all.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: January 27, 2015, 09:48:53 AM »
Siouxie's "Kiss Them For Me" in regular rotay seems a mild surprise to me; don't recall hearing it outside 10@10.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: January 28, 2015, 09:49:21 AM »
KFOG is having their Holiday Party today -- WTF?

The Decemberists "Make You Better" is a welcome addition to the rotay, and I don't say that very often.

OTOH: I never need to hear "Hey There Delilah" ever again. And my word is good.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:59:37 AM by RGMike »

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: January 28, 2015, 10:52:47 AM »
OTOH: I never need to hear "Hey There Delilah" ever again. And my word is good.

Mine, too.  When I heard the beginning of that I was sorely tempted to actually call in and complain loudly, but given a 'Classic Set' was in the offing, I figured there was probably no one likely willing to pick up the phone and listen to my rant.

True fact though...the Delilah in question was his real college sweetheart & the reason they were so far apart in the lyrics is that she was training for the Olympics in Track (hurdles, iirc) and made the team as a 1st alternate but never got to compete.

Song is still waaay overrated & was WAAAY, WAAAY overplayed back in the day.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: January 28, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »
True fact though...the Delilah in question was his real college sweetheart & the reason they were so far apart in the lyrics is that she was training for the Olympics in Track (hurdles, iirc) and made the team as a 1st alternate but never got to compete.

Steeplechase actually. Check out a Wall Street Journal blogger try to learn to do it from her in their funny series "How Hard Could It Be?"

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2012/07/13/london-olympics-delilah-dicrescenzo-steeplechase-how-hard-can-it-be/

But yeah, I don't like the song either.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: January 29, 2015, 09:57:18 AM »
Altho' I don't have much use for DMB -- and here he is for the 2nd time this morning -- I'll concede it makes sense for KFOG to play him a lot because, really, who else in town does? Alice, maybe? certainly not The Bone or K-FOX. OTOH, "Tainted Love" is played by KISS-FM and probably even KOIT.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: January 30, 2015, 09:40:29 AM »
Altho' I don't have much use for DMB -- and here he is for the 2nd time this morning -- I'll concede it makes sense for KFOG to play him a lot because, really, who else in town does? Alice, maybe? certainly not The Bone or K-FOX. OTOH, "Tainted Love" is played by KISS-FM and probably even KOIT.

Dave Mathews Band?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: January 30, 2015, 09:50:38 AM »

Dave Mathews Band?

Yes.