Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1095721 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #3345 on: December 10, 2014, 11:40:33 AM »
Time for it to go away, along with a number of the other songs in heavy rotation (Kongos, Hozier, Vance Joy, Milky Chance, and the list goes on).

Take off you Hozier!

Hee. I was *so* hoping he was Canadian.

Sadly, there's not a milky snowball's milky chance in milky hell that those songs are going away. They're still playing that annoying "Sweater Weather" song, which is a year-and-a-half old.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: December 10, 2014, 12:53:50 PM »
Time for it to go away, along with a number of the other songs in heavy rotation (Kongos, Hozier, Vance Joy, Milky Chance, and the list goes on).

Take off you Hozier!

Hee. I was *so* hoping he was Canadian.

Sadly, there's not a milky snowball's milky chance in milky hell that those songs are going away. They're still playing that annoying "Sweater Weather" song, which is a year-and-a-half old.

I'm afraid you're right. At least Mumford et al seems to have been given the heave-ho for now.
Let's get right to it.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: December 10, 2014, 01:42:35 PM »
Where did they steal that title from anyway? I know I've heard it elsewhere.

TANC: The original just came up on my iPOD.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: December 10, 2014, 01:47:32 PM »

Who's the artist?
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: December 10, 2014, 02:44:51 PM »

Who's the artist?

Your question made me check to see if the J Geils Band song was a cover. It's not, but written and produced by organist Seth Justman. If Wiki's not lying, that is.

However, there apparently is a cover version by none other than Captain Jack!

ETA: And now I realize that "Centerfold" doesn't ever mention "Angel In Blue Jeans". Selective hearing on my part, I guess. Or the threat of rain.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 04:11:58 PM by Big Fingers McGee »

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: December 10, 2014, 04:37:23 PM »

Who's the artist?

Your question made me check to see if the J Geils Band song was a cover. It's not, but written and produced by organist Seth Justman. If Wiki's not lying, that is.

ETA: And now I realize that "Centerfold" doesn't ever mention "Angel In Blue Jeans". Selective hearing on my part, I guess. Or the threat of rain.

Oh. I thought you were talking about an actual song titled Angel in Blue Jeans.

Bet Seth Justman's blood runs cold when he hears the Train song.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: December 10, 2014, 08:57:54 PM »

Who's the artist?

Oh. I thought you were talking about an actual song titled Angel in Blue Jeans.

Bet Seth Justman's blood runs cold when he hears the Train song.

But the J Geils Band actually have a song called "Angel In Blue", which might have been what I was thinking of.

AFAIK, "Angel In Blue Jeans" is an original. I do believe all of Train's hits are original, FWIW

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: December 15, 2014, 11:56:37 AM »
I love the Hozier song. I like how the lyrics are elegant/irreverant/poetic/sing-songy at the same time and his vocal range really is impressive. But that Vance Joy song can go. (Although, I’m not nearly as tired of it on KFOG as I am of it on Live 105 -- who knows how Riptide ended up #1 on Alternative.  ::) )

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: December 29, 2014, 11:07:42 AM »
BIG NEWS: I haven't heard the promo myself, but a 'snipe posted that KFOG is running a teaser for the "new" Morning Show and Irish Greg's voice was definitely heard.  Wow.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: December 29, 2014, 11:15:13 AM »
BIG NEWS: I haven't heard the promo myself, but a 'snipe posted that KFOG is running a teaser for the "new" Morning Show and Irish Greg's voice was definitely heard.  Wow.

Whoa. Wonder if Webster or Peter Finch are part of this plan as well? "We're getting the band back together, man!"
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: December 29, 2014, 11:31:19 AM »

Whoa. Wonder if Webster or Peter Finch are part of this plan as well? "We're getting the band back together, man!"

I suspect they're happy with Webster in afternoons.  And a Renee/Greg pairing would be fine with me -- RR has been surprisingly good in the AM and having Greg to banter with instead of Mud, or Leeanne, or whatever her producer's name is, would make her even better IMHO.

Peter Finch? dunno, but since KGO is in the process of cutting back news and bringing back talk hosts, It's possible Peter could be looking for a job.

I'm wondering if they advertised back in July to throw people off the scent, and perhaps they had Irish Greg in mind all along -- and were waiting for IG's contract at 103.7 to be up at the end of the year?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 11:36:30 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: December 30, 2014, 07:51:17 AM »

I suspect they're happy with Webster in afternoons.  And a Renee/Greg pairing would be fine with me -- RR has been surprisingly good in the AM and having Greg to banter with instead of Mud, or Leeanne, or whatever her producer's name is, would make her even better IMHO.

Peter Finch? dunno, but since KGO is in the process of cutting back news and bringing back talk hosts, It's possible Peter could be looking for a job.

I'm wondering if they advertised back in July to throw people off the scent, and perhaps they had Irish Greg in mind all along -- and were waiting for IG's contract at 103.7 to be up at the end of the year?

The plot thickens: I finally heard the promo. Greg says he's "bringing a friend" but is "contractually" forbidden from saying who it is. Which has me a bit worried. That would indicate it's someone who works for (or was recently fired from) a competitor. Peter works for KGO, which is part of the Cumulus family, so I don't know why they wouldn't be allowed to mention him. But Live 105 recently fired No Name, and I fear he could be a possibility. 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: January 02, 2015, 09:14:13 AM »
Listening to Renee this morning and shortly before 8 she played "Pepper" by Butthole Surfers, which I don't think I've ever heard on KFOG outside of a couple of 10@10s.

And I heard another Morning Show promo -- sounded like No Name to me, albeit a more subdued, less-shticky version of him.

It's official -- it is indeed NoName. Hopefully a KFOG-friendly version of him. He may be using his real name, Mike Nelson.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 10:32:56 AM by RGMike »

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: January 05, 2015, 09:19:08 AM »
Yeah, we ran into Greg at Concert for Kids down in San Jose, and he swore us to secrecy that he was coming back (although we heard the promos too). Great detective work, Mike on guessing that it was No Name.

He's definitely been acting like the new kid today, being very very deferential to Renee and Greg, telling them they can call him No Name, or Mike, whatever they like.

Everybody seems quite enthusiastic, of course. Great to hear Greg again. Wonder what happened to the old producer, Mud (Liane?).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: January 05, 2015, 09:32:41 AM »
Yeah, we ran into Greg at Concert for Kids down in San Jose, and he swore us to secrecy that he was coming back (although we heard the promos too). Great detective work, Mike on guessing that it was No Name.

He's definitely been acting like the new kid today, being very very deferential to Renee and Greg, telling them they can call him No Name, or Mike, whatever they like.

Everybody seems quite enthusiastic, of course. Great to hear Greg again. Wonder what happened to the old producer, Mud (Liane?).

Well, to be fair, there were only a couple of possibilities, given who would "fit" at KFOG and who was available in the local talent pool. I'm guessing Mud went back to KGO which is where she was before.

NOTE: a *lot* of "welcome back Greg" comments on the KFOG FB page. NoName... notsomuch. "sorry, but i've switched stations because of that guy's voice for years. stop shouting like you're 'straining' on the toilet!" Heh.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:22:59 AM by RGMike »