Author Topic: RIH Robert Novak  (Read 4696 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

SFGuy

Re: RIH Robert Novak
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 09:31:47 PM »
That's nice. Just because you disagree with his political view a rot in hell?? Nice tolerance by the left. You don't have to say RIP, either. Just say he died.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:36:55 PM by SFGuy »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:29:10 PM »
That's nice. Just because you disagree with his political view a rot in hell?? Nice tolerance by the left. You don't have to say RIP, either. Just say he died.

Maybe Mike meant Rest in Heaven?
 ;) ;) ;)
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 07:35:57 AM »

Sorry dude, we do that all the time here.... whoever posts first gets dibs on the title. And IMHO he was a pretty evil guy, just for his role in the Valerie Plame thing alone.  When Olbermann dies, you can post an "RIH" for him!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 07:37:53 AM by RGMike »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 08:58:37 AM »

Sorry dude, we do that all the time here.... whoever posts first gets dibs on the title. And IMHO he was a pretty evil guy, just for his role in the Valerie Plame thing alone.  When Olbermann dies, you can post an "RIH" for him!

While I thought Novak was pretty contemptible, I am also bothered by the RIH notation, and don't quite know how to say that.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 09:05:26 AM »

While I thought Novak was pretty contemptible, I am also bothered by the RIH notation, and don't quite know how to say that.

I think you just did...  It seems SFGuy closed his account: he's appearing as "Guest."   

Phil Bronstein wrote yesterday about his personal experience w Novak, which interfered with the someimtes automatic reverence paid to a recently deceased figure.  (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/bronstein/detail?blogid=47&entry_id=45706) I don't know if Mike has such a close "connection" to Novak's SOP, but everyone is entitled to an opinion.  The RIH certainly is an opinion (not sure if it's the opinion of the "intolerant left", though).

I thought of what my mom says "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything," but that didn't stop Novak.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 09:08:49 AM »

I think you just did...  It seems SFGuy closed his account: he's appearing as "Guest."   

Phil Bronstein wrote yesterday about his personal experience w Novak, which interfered with the someimtes automatic reverence paid to a recently deceased figure.  (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/bronstein/detail?blogid=47&entry_id=45706) I don't know if Mike has such a close "connection" to Novak's SOP, but everyone is entitled to an opinion.  The RIH certainly is an opinion (not sure if it's the opinion of the "intolerant left", though).

I thought of what my mom says "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything," but that didn't stop Novak.

Well, if we've lost SFGuy then I'm sorry -- but I didn't invent "RIH", it's been used here before (tho' I'm too lazy to go hunting for another example -- Jerry Falwell is probably one).  I think Gaz may have been the first to do it.  But jeez, if ya can't be flip and snarky here, then I dunno...

BTW, Bronstein's piece was great (and supports my opinion), but there was another piece yesterday by one of SFGate's other outside bloggers that talked about Novak's charity work. So, to each his own.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 09:18:18 AM by RGMike »

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 09:28:02 AM »

Well, if we've lost SFGuy then I'm sorry -- but I didn't invent "RIH", it's been used here before (tho' I'm too lazy to go hunting for another example -- Jerry Falwell is probably one).  I think Gaz may have been the first to do it.  But jeez, if ya can't be flip and snarky here, then I dunno...

BTW, Bronstein's piece was great (and supports my opinion), but there was another piece yesterday by one of SFGate's other outside bloggers that talked about Novak's charity work. So, to each his own.

Agree, that Bronstein's piece makes his point pretty succinctly. And I don't think our posting RIP or RIH is truly going to have any sway in which way the man's soul actually goes. He pretty much cast that die himself while he was here.

Btw, I had to laugh at this comment to the Bronstein blog:

by the way phil, either dye the beard or un-dye(?) the hair. you look like an Its-it.

:D :D :D
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 09:33:38 AM »

yes, it was a good piece and what you wrote wasn't in extremely poor taste.   Novak prided himself on his "The Price Of Darkness" nickname  -- although I think it referred to his access to the Beltway and not the "H" thing.
~CPL593H~

SFGuy

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 04:40:25 PM »

Deleting my account was in error, I was doing other stuff. Clicked a link here, I thought was something else. I thought asking for my password again and deleted me.

I just thought he didn't deserve a RIH that a Kim Jong II or a Hugo Chavez or a Dick Chaney would (or a Jesse Helms deserved). I thought he was an asshole on TV but I don't think he deserved the RIH. I didn't even like the guy.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 04:46:58 PM »
I just thought he didn't deserve a RIH that a Kim Jong II or a Hugo Chavez or a Dick Chaney would (or a Jesse Helms deserved). I thought he was an asshole on TV but I don't think he deserved the RIH. I didn't even like the guy.

Glad you are still around, man.  I'd hate to lose a member over some talking head of whom I've never heard.

In the immortal words of the 'oo, "let's forget him better still."

;D
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 06:09:20 PM »

I guess what I should have said is I don't know how to say it without making things worse, which I think I did.  I apologize to Mike for implying he should censor himself in his own house.  I'm sorry people get their feelings hurt.  

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 08:47:58 PM »
No apology necessary, Geoff.  And SFGuy, I'm glad we didn't lose you!

SFGuy

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 10:43:08 PM »

Now I have to rebuild my post count. The other one is gone now.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 11:21:29 PM »

Now I have to rebuild my post count. The other one is gone now.
I've been trying to see if I could 'bring you back from the dead' but can't figure out how!