Author Topic: 23 July 2009: 1981  (Read 15684 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 23 July 2009: 1981
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2009, 11:19:12 AM »
So of course I'm late to the game, but um, what?  Joan Jett and Carmen Electra?  More so than just this video, apparently:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVlcAJFTPRo

This is great, I'd never heard it before.  Did Joan Jett formally come out, or is she in "open secret" territory? (I've long thought she and Pink will eventually become an item.)

News to me too -- that vid is 3 years old and I've never heard that song.

I just impulsively blogged on it.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2009, 12:10:17 PM »
So of course I'm late to the game, but um, what?  Joan Jett and Carmen Electra?  More so than just this video, apparently:

This is great, I'd never heard it before.  Did Joan Jett formally come out, or is she in "open secret" territory? (I've long thought she and Pink will eventually become an item.)

News to me too -- that vid is 3 years old and I've never heard that song.

I just impulsively blogged on it.

those are the best kinda bloggings!  Nice work, and I didn't know either that it was a cover of a Sweet song from (holy flaming mother of blog) 1974!  One more reason to worship at the altar of Chapman & Chinn (as if ya needed another).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2009, 02:10:52 PM »
7/23/09 - Thursday!  Checkin' out...1981!!!
   1.  Diesel - Sausalito Summernight
   2.  Clash - This is Radio Clash
(News:  Online Newspapers)
   3.  Steve Winwood - While You See a Chance
(News montage)
   4.  Men at Work - Be Good Johnny
(News:  Sandra Day O'Connor)
   5.  Blondie - The Tide is High
(News:  The Bohemian Grove Gathering)
   6.  Devo - Through Being Cool
   7.  Rush - Limelight
   8.  King Crimson - Frame by Frame
   9.  Kinks - Destroyer
 10.  Joan Jett - Bad Reputation
BONUS TRACK (Pete in San Jose):  Tommy Tutone -  Jenny (867-5309)
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2009, 11:35:21 PM »

News to me too -- that vid is 3 years old and I've never heard that song. And googling reveals this was a hot story... then. But afaik JJ has never officially come out. Carmen's sure better off with Joan than with Dave Navarro (ugh) or Dennis Rodman (double ugh)

JJ's old enuf to be Pink's mom, no?  mmmm... lesbian cougars!

No clue about the orientations of Ms. Jett or Ms. Electra, but you do know that song is a cover, right? Originally recorded by Sweet in '74, it was penned by Mike Chapman and Nicky Chinn, who wrote a number of Sweet's hits--Little Willy, Ballroom Blitz, Wig Wam Bam, to name a few, as well as Exile's Kiss You All Over and Toni Basil's one-off Mickey.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2009, 07:26:32 AM »

News to me too -- that vid is 3 years old and I've never heard that song. And googling reveals this was a hot story... then. But afaik JJ has never officially come out. Carmen's sure better off with Joan than with Dave Navarro (ugh) or Dennis Rodman (double ugh)

No clue about the orientations of Ms. Jett or Ms. Electra, but you do know that song is a cover, right? Originally recorded by Sweet in '74, it was penned by Mike Chapman and Nicky Chinn, who wrote a number of Sweet's hits--Little Willy, Ballroom Blitz, Wig Wam Bam, to name a few, as well as Exile's Kiss You All Over and Toni Basil's one-off Mickey.

yup -- see my post about 11 hours before yours  ;)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2009, 07:33:14 AM »

yup -- see my post about 11 hours before yours  ;)

Whoops. I see that y'all did. Props to Gaz for digging that out, and poops to yours truly for not reading to the end of the thread.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2009, 08:24:53 AM »
MAW in '81?  VHM anyway, one of their better (and less egregiously overplayed) tunes -- proxy of shray.

Meant to follow-up here: Men at Work in '81 is indeed a mistake (AL's first major screw-up that I can think of); their first LP first charted in July of '82.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2009, 03:07:08 PM »
MAW in '81?  VHM anyway, one of their better (and less egregiously overplayed) tunes -- proxy of shray.

Meant to follow-up here: Men at Work in '81 is indeed a mistake (AL's first major screw-up that I can think of); their first LP first charted in July of '82.

actually not, but I didn't say anything at the time since I was so busy on Tuesday & pissed that I'd missed it.  But Stone Roses was from 1989, not 91.  BOS anyway when I heard the replay that night...on my way home from the office(!).
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010