Author Topic: 22 April 2009--it's 1979 :( (no Earth Day)  (Read 8789 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 22 April 2009--it's 1979 :( (no Earth Day)
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 10:49:45 AM »
Finishing off with some o' that Punk Rock Music. BOS4, Talking Heads introducing a little-known Al Green song to a new group of fans. Bet the Reverend's offering plate was a bit heavier that year.

that buys a lot of grits!  ;)

Or a lot of aloe vera!

ETA: At least we got a backsell today!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 10:56:22 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 11:07:35 AM »
Finishing off with some o' that Punk Rock Music. BOS4, Talking Heads introducing a little-known Al Green song to a new group of fans. Bet the Reverend's offering plate was a bit heavier that year.

Or a lot of aloe vera!

Is it worth the effort to even e-mail KFOG and complain (in the nicest possible way, of course) about no Earth Day set? This isn't one of those once-in-a-while sets like April Fools, it's one Dave has done every year for as long as I can remember.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 01:09:13 PM »

Or a lot of aloe vera!

Is it worth the effort to even e-mail KFOG and complain (in the nicest possible way, of course) about no Earth Day set? This isn't one of those once-in-a-while sets like April Fools, it's one Dave has done every year for as long as I can remember.

Efforts might be better directed in expressing a desire to get Dave producing new 10@10s again. I am thinking that it's management that's dragging their feet by this time, not Dave. If they axed Benson as a cost-cutting measure, perhaps they feel they can afford to just play re-runs that they already own and not pay DM to create new ones. They need to know that we are starting to look elsewhere for fresh material and tuning away from KFOG.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2009, 01:42:14 PM »
4/22/09 - Checkin' out...1979!!!

1.  The Babys - Every Time I Think of You
   2.  Doobie Brothers - What a Fool Believes
   3.  Ian Gomm - Hold On
   4.  Rod Stewart - Do Ya Think I'm Sexy
   5.  Tim Curry - I Do the Rock (BEST OF SET!!)
   6.  Dire Straits - Commuique
   7.  Supertramp - Gone Hollywood
   8.  EWF & the Emotions - Boogie Wonderland
   9.  John Stewart - Gold
 10.  Talking Heads - Take Me to the River

BONUS TRACK:  Rickie Lee Jones - Danny's All Star Joint
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2009, 09:16:58 PM »
Don't give up 'cause we got Tim Curry doing the Rock.

I think this may be the Clubhouse's consensus #1 song.  I can't think of any other one that gets so many people to sing its praises, and never a word of dissent.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2009, 09:18:49 PM »
if ya want Rod's body and ya think he's sexy... you're probably a 56-year-old woman.

Ack!  WOS.  Bailed before the chorus.  What's on the Sound?

it's "album side Wednesday", so no Earth day set from Larry either.

Not for a second did I even think an LA station would acknowledge Earth Day.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2009, 10:47:24 PM »

I think this may be the Clubhouse's consensus #1 song.  I can't think of any other one that gets so many people to sing its praises, and never a word of dissent.
huh?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2009, 08:44:16 AM »

huh?

I was trying to say that seemingly every single person who posts here *loves* "I Do the Rock," and I don't know if there's another song for which that's the case.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2009, 08:48:48 AM »

Now *that* would be a cool thing to track -- our daily voting as a club.  If Dave ever comes back, we might try to develop something.  Voting would have to be strictly limited though.  One BOS, one WOS, maybe one HM.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2009, 09:48:37 AM »

huh?

I was trying to say that seemingly every single person who posts here *loves* "I Do the Rock," and I don't know if there's another song for which that's the case.
count me out on this one!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2009, 10:20:48 AM »

huh?

So Geoff, do you activley dislike it? or do you not actively like it?  I would count the former as a nay vote & the latter as an abstention.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2009, 02:22:13 PM »

huh?

So Geoff, do you activley dislike it? or do you not actively like it?  I would count the former as a nay vote & the latter as an abstention.
I would never BOS this song.  It's mildly amusing, but not worthy.  Sorry to spoil this perfect storm.  I can't believe there's nothing we agree on!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2009, 02:35:57 PM »

huh?

I would never BOS this song.  It's mildly amusing, but not worthy.  Sorry to spoil this perfect storm.  I can't believe there's nothing we agree on!

What about Hot Tuna's Water Song? Is there anyone here who actively dislikes that one? Seems to me it gets a pretty enthusiastic response whenever it's appeared.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2009, 06:29:48 PM »

huh?

What about Hot Tuna's Water Song? Is there anyone here who actively dislikes that one? Seems to me it gets a pretty enthusiastic response whenever it's appeared.
you got my vote!  But I'm sure someone probably doesn't like it!
 ;) ;)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2009, 11:02:48 PM »

Ooh, good call - I enthusiastically love that one.

Since there are some stats geeks among us - maybe someday we could some polls on this site to replicate what we do at the Singles Jukebox: a song is proposed, people vote on it on a 0-10 scale, and songs are ranked by average.  "I Do the Rock" would get a 10 from me; "Water Song" probably a 9.