Author Topic: The Facebook Thread  (Read 69166 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Facebook Thread
« Reply #150 on: June 27, 2012, 07:41:17 AM »
more annoying Facebook "tweaks":

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/26/tech/social-media/facebook-uproar/index.html
It's kind of curious how these major news stories have come out about all the addresses getting changed to @facebook.com, but mine hasn't.  I can't be the only one.  No fact-checking anymore?  Just run with whatever rumor is being posted on facebook?

Mine was changed and so have a lot of folks I know. Maybe you were just lucky.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 27, 2012, 08:36:10 AM »

No fact-checking anymore?  Just run with whatever rumor is being posted on facebook?

That's the American way! I'll have to check my address to see if it's changed.

About a year or so ago I swear half my FB friends were posting things about 2011 being a 'snake eyes year', which only occurs every 864 years or something. Had to do with calendar alignment. Had to point out that 2011 and 2005 have exactly the same layout.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 28, 2012, 07:25:22 PM »
I've been inundated this week with FB posts from friends liking/sharing boomer-nostalgia pics of the "if you know what this is, then LIKE" variety. Pictures of Fess Parker,  old salt & pepper shakers and on and on.  Most hilarious was a picture of Shari Lewis' puppet LambChop

but the caption said "Do you know who this guy is?"

er... GUY?? Pretty sure LambChop was a girl, kids.

oh, and these posts tend to be from radio stations or local websites that are NOT local to where the FB-friends in question actually live. So forgive me for suspecting spam.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 07:35:22 PM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 29, 2012, 12:49:42 AM »
I've been inundated this week with FB posts from friends liking/sharing boomer-nostalgia pics of the "if you know what this is, then LIKE" variety. Pictures of Fess Parker,  old salt & pepper shakers and on and on.  Most hilarious was a picture of Shari Lewis' puppet LambChop

oh, and these posts tend to be from radio stations or local websites that are NOT local to where the FB-friends in question actually live. So forgive me for suspecting spam.

The one I've been seeing a lot over the last month is not a picture but a paragraph of text extolling all the great things about having been "a child of the 50's, 60's, 70s, or 80s" and asking that you "like" it if you were born in that period. Jeezus, people, that's a spread of 40 years. What percentage of the US population do you think was born in one of those decades? That's everyone between 22 and 62 years of age, and includes a whole lot of baby boomers. That doesn't exactly make you unique.

A lot of what I see on FB these days only serves to persuade me just how stupid a whole lot of our citizenry are.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 12:55:15 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 29, 2012, 09:16:13 PM »

The one I've been seeing a lot over the last month is not a picture but a paragraph of text extolling all the great things about having been "a child of the 50's, 60's, 70s, or 80s" and asking that you "like" it if you were born in that period. Jeezus, people, that's a spread of 40 years. What percentage of the US population do you think was born in one of those decades? That's everyone between 22 and 62 years of age, and includes a whole lot of baby boomers. That doesn't exactly make you unique.

A lot of what I see on FB these days only serves to persuade me just how stupid a whole lot of our citizenry are.
Stoopidity reigns supreme.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #155 on: July 30, 2012, 10:30:55 AM »
I chased one of these down yesterday, asking one to like if they recognized an old washing machine.  It turned out my friend actually did click it.  That doesn't mean it's still not some insidious data-mining droid, but I wanted to pass along this one instance.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2012, 10:43:25 AM »
I chased one of these down yesterday, asking one to like if they recognized an old washing machine.  It turned out my friend actually did click it.  That doesn't mean it's still not some insidious data-mining droid, but I wanted to pass along this one instance.

yeah, when I realized how many "likes" each of those posts had, and the whole 6-degrees-of-separation factor on FB, I realized it was quite possible that a friend in Jersey had seen a pic that originated in Seatle, or wherever. Still refusing to click on them myself, tho'.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 16, 2012, 03:08:09 PM »
Will somebody kindly tell JF to try to stop adding my birthday to his calendar. I swear he's tried this seven times.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 16, 2012, 03:30:38 PM »
Will somebody kindly tell JF to try to stop adding my birthday to his calendar. I swear he's tried seven times

I had to think for a few mins who JF is -- he spends so little time on the 'snipes page. 

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 16, 2012, 03:35:41 PM »
Will somebody kindly tell JF to try to stop adding my birthday to his calendar. I swear he's tried seven times

I had to think for a few mins who JF is -- he spends so little time on the 'snipes page.

Well, I guess if I stumped you (if for a few mins), then I'm doing an adequate job of "identity concealment".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 16, 2012, 08:09:24 PM »

Well, I guess if I stumped you (if for a few mins), then I'm doing an adequate job of "identity concealment".

I just noticed that he's trying to do the same to me. I've just ignored it in the past.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 17, 2012, 06:15:16 AM »

I just noticed that he's trying to do the same to me. I've just ignored it in the past.

I wonder if he has a virus. He can't be that dedicated to getting us on his 'calendar'. Can't he? Plus he's managed to wish me a happy birthday the 'traditional' way.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 17, 2012, 09:16:04 AM »

I wonder if he has a virus. He can't be that dedicated to getting us on his 'calendar'. Can't he? Plus he's managed to wish me a happy birthday the 'traditional' way.

I get requests all the time from people that I am pretty sure are not actually making requests (at least not on purpose).  I haven't traced it too far, but the birthday thing, Bubble Safari requests and that sort of thing get ignored every time.

Also, I've seen a few friends 'like' Mitt Romney, and was surprised in each case.  Then one of them made a special post assuring us that he HAD NOT liked Mitt, that he must have been hacked.  Which made a lot more sense.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 28, 2015, 12:41:33 PM »
wow, we haven't posted in this thread in 3 years!

Just wanted to say that FB appears to be down at the moment, at least for me.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 28, 2015, 03:19:21 PM »
wow, we haven't posted in this thread in 3 years!

Just wanted to say that FB appears to be down at the moment, at least for me.

Probably an overload of people posting comic book pictures, or posting waivers of Terms Of Service, or something similarly asinine.