Author Topic: The Facebook Thread  (Read 70003 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Facebook Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2010, 09:07:31 PM »
2) FB itself made me go thru a security thingy ("type these words in the box") before I could post a comment in a thread I myself started!   But the box wouldn't let me put my cursor there so I couldn't type the damn words. WTF??

Did you just try to start typing? I've run into a few of those things, sometimes the cursor automatically appears when you start entering text.

nope -- it was clearly their glitch. seems to have resolved itself in the last half-hour. But seriously: a security check to comment in your own thread?

I've had that happen when trying to post a link in response to a thread, but not with just plain text.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2010, 09:19:06 AM »
2) FB itself made me go thru a security thingy ("type these words in the box") before I could post a comment in a thread I myself started!   But the box wouldn't let me put my cursor there so I couldn't type the damn words. WTF??

Did you just try to start typing? I've run into a few of those things, sometimes the cursor automatically appears when you start entering text.

nope -- it was clearly their glitch. seems to have resolved itself in the last half-hour. But seriously: a security check to comment in your own thread?

I've had that happen when trying to post a link in response to a thread, but not with just plain text.

AH! you've explained it then -- my post indeed included a link (to your blog, as it happens*). But I've posted links in comments before and never got a security check. 

* I posted a clip of "Can't find the time" yesterday and one FB-friend gushed about how much he loved that song, so I directed him to your posts on the subject.

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2010, 09:37:10 AM »
couple interesting things, re: the anti-FB uprising. First, the "Don't Log-On to FB on June 6th" protest:

http://facebookprotest.com/

and a good article on how to delete your account permanently, from CNET:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20005556-245.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:56:28 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2010, 08:20:46 AM »
No more FB at work for me -- they're cracking down here.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2010, 01:10:57 PM »
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:15:50 PM by Wayback »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2010, 01:34:49 PM »
Man jailed for sending Facebook friend request
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/hottopics/detail?entry_id=70304&tsp=1

damn, that guy looks like the poster-child for hillbilly inbreeding.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2010, 07:33:47 PM »
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:24:39 PM by Wayback »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2010, 09:56:36 PM »
I just tried to post a comment on someone else's FB page and got a "you must confirm your account" pop-up asking for my "mobile phone" or "credit card" number -- WTFF?

addendum: I had tried to post a comment on a thread on AL's page that was started by that Scott Fisher dude  (he wanted to know when Live at the Archives would be repeated -- jeezus, the guy listens to KFOG 24/7 and he doesn't know they repeat it Sun nite? They've only been doing that for over a decade!).  Anyway I tried to post an answer and got the above-described pop-up, clearly looked like a Facebook dialog box.  But I was able to post a comment in an AL-originated thread with no problem. Again: WTFF?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2010, 09:58:41 AM »
I just tried to post a comment on someone else's FB page and got a "you must confirm your account" pop-up asking for my "mobile phone" or "credit card" number -- WTFF?

Wha-wha-WHAT?!  This sounds REALLY fishy.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2010, 01:47:58 PM »
Some dude is kvetching about getting "extremely frustrated" that AL hasn't played any of his 10@10 requests - the recent one being Opposites Attract.  Um, maybe if you didn't choose songs that SUCK.  Wasn't that a "duet" with Paula Abdul and MC Skat (lol) Kat? 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2010, 03:09:47 PM »
Some dude is kvetching about getting "extremely frustrated" that AL hasn't played any of his 10@10 requests - the recent one being Opposites Attract.  Um, maybe if you didn't choose songs that SUCK.  Wasn't that a "duet" with Paula Abdul and MC Skat (lol) Kat? 

Bwahahaha!

Indeed, AL has to be careful not to overdo the Hits From Hell angle.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2010, 03:16:58 PM »
FB was down or painfully slooooooow for a couple of hours earlier today. In the article about it on SFGate, one wag commented:

"Facebook went down for only two hours causing millions of US workers to resume office duties — bounces entire country out of recession instantly"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2010, 01:35:06 PM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2010, 08:46:22 AM »
Have you seen those "bucket list" ads on FB? "things to do in _____ before you die"?   Just got one that was a Contra Costa County bucket list -- I'd say the #1 thing to do in CCC before you die is... get the fuck out of CCC.

And in other news, FB founder Mark Zuckerberg was named Time's Person of the Year. Amazing what a movie about you can do.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2010, 09:54:15 AM »
Have you seen those "bucket list" ads on FB? "things to do in _____ before you die"?   Just got one that was a Contra Costa County bucket list -- I'd say the #1 thing to do in CCC before you die is... get the fuck out of CCC.

And in other news, FB founder Mark Zuckerberg was named Time's Person of the Year. Amazing what a movie about you can do.

I live in CCC most of my life, and I can't come up with anything.  There are some golf courses I could recommend, I suppose, but none of them are bucket list worthy (say, like Pebble Beach or The Old Course in Scotland would be).  Um, Mt. Diablo is nice....  Go look at it.  Done.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing