Author Topic: 4 December 2008: 1989  (Read 15342 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 4 December 2008: 1989
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2008, 10:42:23 AM »

ugh... another WOS to NKOTB, truly awful. Dave's love of crap like this is scary.

Donnie has carved out a minor film career, have any of the others amounted to anything?

Joey McIntyre does theater and was in the film version of the legendary musical The Fantastiks, which went straight to video a few years ago.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2008, 10:43:59 AM »
Oh, dear god.  NKOtB?  I don't think I've ever heard this before.

Hey Dave, any chance you're free for a beer with us this evening?  Tinka & Wayback, you too!
Hmmm, I'd say it's in the realm of possibility.  Who's us, and where's this going down?

Deets are on the Next Club Get Together thread.  
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 10:46:12 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2008, 10:44:23 AM »
Yay Metallica. That gruel can go in my bowl anytime
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2008, 10:47:26 AM »
Yay Metallica. That gruel can go in my bowl anytime

yer welcome to drool over that gruel!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2008, 10:54:54 AM »
Dave mentoned that Jethro Tull won the heavy metal grammy this year (89) -- - I seem to recall hearing some actual booing coming through on the TV when this happened.  From JTull's wiki entry:

In response to the criticism they received over the award, the band took out an advertisement in a British music periodical with a picture of a flute lying amid a pile of iron re-bars and the line, "THE FLUTE IS A HEAVY METAL INSTRUMENT."[10] In response to an interview question about the controversy, Ian Anderson quipped, "Well, we do sometimes play our mandolins very loudly."
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2008, 12:37:17 PM »
Dave mentoned that Jethro Tull won the heavy metal grammy this year (89) -- - I seem to recall hearing some actual booing coming through on the TV when this happened.  From JTull's wiki entry:

In response to the criticism they received over the award, the band took out an advertisement in a British music periodical with a picture of a flute lying amid a pile of iron re-bars and the line, "THE FLUTE IS A HEAVY METAL INSTRUMENT."[10] In response to an interview question about the controversy, Ian Anderson quipped, "Well, we do sometimes play our mandolins very loudly."

Someone, maybe one of the presenters that night, said something along the lines of (and I'm confident someone here can refresh my memory), "Well, you gotta give some respect to Jethro, he's been doing this a long time."
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2008, 03:19:17 PM »

Someone, maybe one of the presenters that night, said something along the lines of (and I'm confident someone here can refresh my memory), "Well, you gotta give some respect to Jethro, he's been doing this a long time."

When "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" first came on, a guy was getting pretty close to winning it all (I think he was at the 500 grand question) when he ran up against this question.  I'm screaming at the tv -- "It's Tull, it's TULL!"  He did not become a millionaire.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2008, 03:25:49 PM »
12/4/08 – Thursday!  Ooooooh, must be…1989!!!

1.   Rolling Stones – Mixed Emotions
2.   Johnny Clegg & Savuka – Dela
3.   Alarm – Sold Me Down the River
4.   B-52’s – Love Shack
5.   Metallica – One (BEST OF SET!!)
6.   Roy Orbison – You Got it
7.   Neville Brothers – Yellow Moon
8.   Don Henley – How Bad Do You Want it
9.   New Kids on the Block – Hangin’ Tough
10.  Melissa Etheridge – No Souvenirs

BONUS TRACK:  Lyle Lovett – Here I Am