Author Topic: 30 Oct 2008: 1985  (Read 14398 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 30 Oct 2008: 1985
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 10:30:45 AM »
I just phoned Dave to ask if he'd seen the "Literal a-ha" video.  He hadn't so I sent him the link.
Cool.  I enjoyed it.

"Sketch-eeeeeee ARRRRRMMMM!"

Pipe Wrench FIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 10:32:15 AM »

Song number four was by The Replacements, methinks...  anyone know what it was..

I think it must have been "Bastards of Young", I only heard a snippet before my player crapped out, but pretty sure it wasn't "Kiss Me on the Bus", which is the only MOrey candidate for '85.

ETA:  Actually it was "Swingin' Party" which is most likely an ABB.  Kudos to Dave!

One ABB in an otherwise crappy set is a hollow victory. (Sorry, non-functioning players bring out the crankypants)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2008, 10:32:29 AM »
VHM for the ad medley, and LOL at earlier clip of Reagan presenting Michael Jackson an award citing his role model behavior!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2008, 10:32:42 AM »
oh man, do you remember the McD LT?  How the big innovation was to keep the tomato and lettuce in s SEPARATE section of the styrofoam container?   

~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2008, 10:33:57 AM »

Song number four was by The Replacements, methinks...  anyone know what it was..

I think it must have been "Bastards of Young", I only heard a snippet before my player crapped out, but pretty sure it wasn't "Kiss Me on the Bus", which is the only MOrey candidate for '85.

ETA:  Actually it was "Swingin' Party" which is most likely an ABB.  Kudos to Dave!

The JCM appears to be a bustout also, and now here's Dire Straits "Ride Across the River" which has only been heard thrice (& not for a couple yrs).  So I think the sucky tunes in this set are merely indicative of how sucky 1985 was generally - imho.

...we are the chosen; we're the partisans...

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2008, 10:34:15 AM »
oh man, do you remember the McD LT?  How the big innovation was to keep the tomato and lettuce in s SEPARATE section of the styrofoam container?   

Definitely.  So we can pretty much blame Mickey D's for the hole in the ozone.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2008, 10:35:06 AM »
VHM for the ad medley, and LOL at earlier clip of Reagan presenting Michael Jackson an award citing his role model behavior!

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2008, 10:35:41 AM »

The JCM appears to be a bustout also, and now here's Dire Straits "Ride Across the River" which has only been heard thrice (& not for a couple yrs).  So I think the sucky tunes in this set are merely indicative of how sucky 1985 was generally - imho.

Brothers in Arms was pretty much the best thing about 85, and most of the decade, for that matter.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2008, 10:35:50 AM »
And here in '85, John Cougar Boyscoutcamp is tellin us we gotta stand for something, or we'll fall for anything. Now this is a bit of a rarity.
a lyric later ripped off by country hunk Aaron Tippin -- the guy who just teamed up with "Joe the Plumber" to get Mr Plumber a record deal. 
Then they'll set up a duet of Mr Plumber with Mr Clean ;)

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2008, 10:36:21 AM »

Eek!  Amazing he would wear that get-up for an audience with the prez.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2008, 10:38:16 AM »

No kiddin!  He's even got that single white glove thing going on.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2008, 10:39:08 AM »
And here in '85, John Cougar Boyscoutcamp is tellin us we gotta stand for something, or we'll fall for anything. Now this is a bit of a rarity.
a lyric later ripped off by country hunk Aaron Tippin -- the guy who just teamed up with "Joe the Plumber" to get Mr Plumber a record deal. 
Then they'll set up a duet of Mr Plumber with Mr Clean ;)

Ha! Olbermann suggested JTP be hired to play Mr Clean in commercials.  Too bad The Shield is ending its run; he could be Michael Chiklis' stunt double.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:41:54 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2008, 10:40:14 AM »

No kiddin!  He's even got that single white glove thing going on.

"Nancy, can you tell the new butler that I was only joking about Star Wars?  Tell him to lighten up..."

http://instantrimshot.com
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2008, 10:40:21 AM »

Brothers in Arms was pretty much the best thing about 85, and most of the decade, for that matter.

I'd argue for Scarecrow myself, and if the JCM was indeed a bustout, then kudos to Dave.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2008, 10:41:23 AM »

Ron (in hushed voice): "Uh, Nancy, who is this guy again?"
Nancy: "Michael Jackson!  He sings, dances and spends time with America's young men"