Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456264 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Local radio news
« Reply #405 on: January 19, 2009, 09:06:26 AM »

Also, he mentions that Webster is still officially just a fill-in for Dave, not the permanent replacement.
http://www.sfgate.com/columns/radiowaves/

Glad to hear THAT!

Although intially he seemed to curtail that syncopated delivery style of his & Renee seemed to be bonding, listening this morning it made me feel that the former was back full strength & the latter was over. 

FYI, the only other white guy in my company, a sales colleague on the east coast & generally good guy, talks like that or even worse.  Like I said, good guy, but hard to deal with on a conf call because you can never be sure when he is pausing or when he is done speaking.  Makes for lots of unnecessary interruptions & repetitions.

I've noticed he's gotten smoother, too, so I'm deducing that the choppiness and pauses come more from nerves than from his intended style.  He doesn't want to say the wrong thing, so he is holding back until the words in his mind are vetted sufficiently before his mouth takes over. 

I haven't noticed him saying "um" or "ah" a lot - which is good and proper for jocks on an established station like KFOG.  Perhaps the pauses are where his ums and ahs used to live?

Shray, next time you are on a conf call w that other white guy, check his ums and ahs: does he have a lot?  If not, I bet he once did and he's since learned not to say them and instead live with silent pauses.  Some people feel ... ah ... uncomfortable w silence when they have the floor, so they fill the void with some ... uumm ... sound.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 09:08:29 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 22, 2009, 10:06:04 AM »
Brad Kava is reporting that K-FOX was affected by the big nationwide layoffs by Clear Channel:  Laurie Roberts, thier longtime program director, was laid off, as was deejay Greg Stone.

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 22, 2009, 11:41:18 AM »
Brad Kava is reporting that K-FOX was affected by the big nationwide layoffs by Clear Channel:  Laurie Roberts, thier longtime program director, was laid off, as was deejay Greg Stone.

Dang me, I liked Roberts (she was also on-air mid-days opposite Annalisa).  She had a historical anecdote or piece of trivia for just about every song she ever played.  Didn't care much for Stone, but hardly ever listened to him. I just checked their website & they are indeed not there anymore.

Laurie Roberts is the one who once played Frampton's "Do You Feel Like We Do?" and commented that when Bob Mann passes away, his headstone will read:

Bob Mann
On the Keyboards
Bob Mann
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 22, 2009, 11:52:03 AM »

Dang me, I liked Roberts (she was also on-air mid-days opposite Annalisa).  She had a historical anecdote or piece of trivia for just about every song she ever played.  Didn't care much for Stone, but hardly ever listened to him. I just checked their website & they are indeed not there anymore.

Laurie Roberts is the one who once played Frampton's "Do You Feel Like We Do?" and commented that when Bob Mann passes away, his headstone will read:

Bob Mann
On the Keyboards
Bob Mann

And won't Bob Mayo be relieved that he's not the one who's dead.

ETA: Except I just discovered that Bob Mayo (who's the keyboardist you meant to refer to above) is already dead. Died on a train in Europe in 2004, while touring with Frampton.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:02:13 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 22, 2009, 02:13:45 PM »

And won't Bob Mayo be relieved that he's not the one who's dead.

ETA: Except I just discovered that Bob Mayo (who's the keyboardist you meant to refer to above) is already dead. Died on a train in Europe in 2004, while touring with Frampton.

That's my error, not Laurie Roberts'.  But it is interesting to note that he's already dead.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 23, 2009, 07:22:30 AM »

Bob Mann
On the Keyboards
Bob Mann
I always wait for that part of the song.  I thought his name was Buck Mayall for the longest time.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 09, 2009, 12:20:19 PM »

Apparently K-Fox has promoted Tim Jeffreys to replace Roberts in the PD chair:

http://www.radioink.com/Article.asp?id=1148309&spid=24698

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 28, 2009, 12:06:53 PM »
True Oldies Channel (KFRC-AM 1550) is doing a "Dynamic Duos Weekend", spotlighting pairs like S&G, H&O, The Carpenters, Sonny & Cher, as well as lesser lights and OHWs like Friend & Lover, Mel & Tim, and even Travolta/ONJ.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 02, 2009, 11:44:51 AM »
True Oldies Channel (KFRC-AM 1550) is doing a "Dynamic Duos Weekend", spotlighting pairs like S&G, H&O, The Carpenters, Sonny & Cher, as well as lesser lights and OHWs like Friend & Lover, Mel & Tim, and even Travolta/ONJ.

BTW, I just wanted to say I listened to this quite a bit this weekend and I didn't hear the Carpenters, not even once, even tho' their frequent promos mentioned them. Lots of Righteous Bros tho',including (god help us) "Rock'n'Roll Heaven".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 10, 2009, 11:52:51 AM »
For those who are radio-geeky like me... NYC's WXRK (K-Rock) is flipping formats to Top 40 ("92.3 Now") tomorrow at 5pm Eastern/2pm pacific.  Their soon-to-be defunct website (where they stream)
is here:

http://www.923krock.com/

and the soon-to-be-active new site is

http://www.923now.com/

ah lurves me a good flip!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 11, 2009, 01:59:21 PM »
For those who are radio-geeky like me... NYC's WXRK (K-Rock) is flipping formats to Top 40 ("92.3 Now") tomorrow at 5pm Eastern/2pm pacific.  Their soon-to-be defunct website (where they stream)
is here:

Just listened to the switch -- clever montage of "old" NYC Top 40 stations, including their main competition, Z-100, which they are not-so-subtly pointing out is 25 years old.  The first song is "Boom Boom Pow" by Black-Eyed Peas.  And so begins "92.3 NOW" (and cleverly, the last song on K-Rock was VH, "Right Now")
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 02:03:41 PM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 11, 2009, 02:03:45 PM »
is here:

Just listened to the switch -- clever montage of "old" NYC Top 40 stations, including their main competition, Z-100, which they are not-so-subtly pointing out is 25 years old.  The first song is "Boom Boom Pow" by Black-Eyed Peas.

k-rock is where I started listening to Howard Stern.  I think Jay Thomas was in the morning slot before Stern took over.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 14, 2009, 11:38:38 AM »
FYI, "True Oldies Channel" (1550 AM) is having an "Instrumentals Weekend", quite an array from '60s thru '70s, tho' it only seems to be once or twice an hour. Just heard Duane Eddy's "Because They're Young" (1960), the opening strains of which are identical to the "Final Jeopardy" jingle!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 14, 2009, 12:23:48 PM »
is here:

K-Rock is still doing alt-rock online; I've been listening this afternoon.  Finally caught up with MGMT's glorious "Kids" earlier this week and was delighted to hear it today; and was mightily impressed with Feist & Ben Gibbard's "Train Song."  Gibbard appeared on two other triff ones today: Postal Service's "Such Great Heights" and Death Cab's "I Will Possess Your Heart," both of which I like more as time goes on.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 16, 2009, 10:51:34 AM »
I've been digging "Kids" too, and on hearing it in the car this morning was wondering what you thought of it.

If you like "Such Great Heights" have you heard their song "We Will Become Silhouettes"? 

--Carlos Santana, 2010