Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456379 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Local radio news
« Reply #390 on: November 24, 2008, 03:50:28 PM »
an "inappropriate" gay reference regarding one of the players

Of whom can the appropriate gay references be made?

Just curious.

Elton John

bwhahaha!  TANC: Comcast has given me Logo (it was not available to me for quite a while) and I saw part of an EJ docu the other day.  And to the list I would add Carson Kressley and the rest of the Queer Eye queens, Rosie O'Donnell and Bruce Vilanch.

Since you mentioned Queer Eye, have any of the other principals from that show other than Ted Allen gone on to do anything notable? Carson's done a couple of things, but they seem pretty trashy/low-budget so far as I can see. And the other three have just faded back into obscurity, unless I'm not looking in the right places.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 24, 2008, 06:58:18 PM »

...unless I'm not looking in the right places.

That's a pretty inviting straight-line from a straight guy...but unfortunately I'm not coming up with a pithy rejoinder.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #392 on: November 24, 2008, 08:28:07 PM »

...unless I'm not looking in the right places.

That's a pretty inviting straight-line from a straight guy...but unfortunately I'm not coming up with a pithy rejoinder.
just ask Larry Craig!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 25, 2008, 01:07:58 AM »
have any of the other principals from that show other than Ted Allen gone on to do anything notable?

I saw Jai Rodriguez perform Journey's "Open Arms" at the Duplex once.  That's notable, in a different way.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 25, 2008, 07:46:20 AM »
have any of the other principals from that show other than Ted Allen gone on to do anything notable?

I saw Jai Rodriguez perform Journey's "Open Arms" at the Duplex once.  That's notable, in a different way.

TANC (in more ways than one): Barry Manilow does that on his new '80s covers CD.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 26, 2008, 09:30:40 AM »
Fresh Air ("I'm Terri Gross, and this is .. FRESH AIR") has a good one today:

eta: btw, on right now on KALW

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=97506729

Gamble And Huff, Riding Philly's 'Love Train'

Fresh Air from WHYY, November 26, 2008 - Producers Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff helped pioneer the sound of Philadelphia soul. Their renowned record label, Philadelphia International, produced the hits "Love Train," "Backstabbers" and "The Love I Lost."

Together, Gamble and Huff were responsible for 15 gold singles and 22 gold albums, eight of which went platinum; they were inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame in 2008.

"We wanted to take social themes and translate them to commercial recordings," Kenny Gamble said in 1988. "Philadelphia International was about spreading love."

Gamble and Huff have a new box set called Love Train.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 27, 2008, 10:10:11 AM »
For those who care: "Alice's Restaurant" will be on KFOG at Noon and 6, and on KPIG at noon, 4, and 8 (they've already played it at 9am -- once a day is enuf for me).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 24, 2008, 01:26:51 PM »
From our "Well, I guess it's better than nothing" file...

CBS is finally pulling the plug on the podcast format at KYCY 1550 AM, and on Jan 1st it will become... KFRC-AM with an oldies/classic hits format. From radio-info.com:

January 1 brings an oldies format to CBS Radio's 1550 in San Francisco - programmed by Scott Shannon.  The current podcast and variety-music-based format will last only until December 31, after which CBS “will ring in the new year with oldies on 1550 AM and KFRC.com.” It appears they'll be using the market’s heritage KFRC call letters on the current “KYouRadio” KYCY/1550. The most recent Bay Area station to carry the KFRC calls was the 106.9 that had been classic hits. As of late October, that frequency is now simulcasting all-news KCBS at 740. While CBS is keeping a classic hits stream alive at KFRC.com and an HD-2 channel. CBS isn’t calling the new 1550 “True Oldies”, which is the ABC Radio Networks service that was created by Scott Shannon. CBS does say that Shannon “will program and host the syndicated format featuring oldies – hits from the 50s through the 80s.”

The above tells me it will be voice-tracked and therefore pretty cheap to run. Dunno if they'll continue airing AT40, but it would certainly make sense to.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 31, 2008, 10:08:01 AM »
well, he used to be heard locally: Dick Bartley becomes another victim of the bad economy:

Tuesday morning’s Taylor on Radio-Info broke the news that the 18-year association between the producer/host and his syndicator is ending in three months. ABC is now notifying affiliates of “American Gold” and “Rock & Roll’s Greatest Hits” about the change – and Bartley’s looking for his next syndicator

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 01, 2009, 09:25:40 PM »
From our "Well, I guess it's better than nothing" file...

CBS is finally pulling the plug on the podcast format at KYCY 1550 AM, and on Jan 1st it will become... KFRC-AM with an oldies/classic hits format. From radio-info.com:

January 1 brings an oldies format to CBS Radio's 1550 in San Francisco - programmed by Scott Shannon.  The current podcast and variety-music-based format will last only until December 31, after which CBS “will ring in the new year with oldies on 1550 AM and KFRC.com.” It appears they'll be using the market’s heritage KFRC call letters on the current “KYouRadio” KYCY/1550. The most recent Bay Area station to carry the KFRC calls was the 106.9 that had been classic hits. As of late October, that frequency is now simulcasting all-news KCBS at 740. While CBS is keeping a classic hits stream alive at KFRC.com and an HD-2 channel. CBS isn’t calling the new 1550 “True Oldies”, which is the ABC Radio Networks service that was created by Scott Shannon. CBS does say that Shannon “will program and host the syndicated format featuring oldies – hits from the 50s through the 80s.”

The above tells me it will be voice-tracked and therefore pretty cheap to run. Dunno if they'll continue airing AT40, but it would certainly make sense to.

Well, I tuned in briefly on Wed nite (they started the new format early) and within five minutes they played "Brown Eyed Girl". This struck me as... not a good omen.  Listened a bit more Thurs morning; heard some pretty decent stuff. It's Scott Shannon's syndicated "True Oldies Channel" service, it's '60s-and-early '70s-based  (in a hour I heard only one post-1975 song).  I was impressed to hear the Monkees' "Stepping Stone".

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 05, 2009, 01:20:25 PM »
End of an era for Niners radio fans

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/index?.

I have never really been a 49'er fan since living here, but I was a Joe Starkey fan.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 11, 2009, 09:32:32 PM »
In today's Radio Waves column in the Chron, Ben F-T hearkens back to Herb Caen's annual holiday poem (as well as those of Roger Angell in the New Yorker, which he makes reference to) with shout-outs to nearly every current bay area radio personality you can name--literally, including the airstaffs of KGO, KCBS, and most of the folks at KFOG (but not Dave Benson).

Also, he mentions that Webster is still officially just a fill-in for Dave, not the permanent replacement. And that Casey Kasem's reruns will resume on KFRC at its new home at 1550 AM.

http://www.sfgate.com/columns/radiowaves/
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 12, 2009, 07:32:01 AM »
In today's Radio Waves column in the Chron, Ben F-T... mentions that Casey Kasem's reruns will resume on KFRC at its new home at 1550 AM.

Glad to hear it, tho' I still haven't figured out when they're on -- no clue on their websire.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 12, 2009, 10:49:52 AM »

Also, he mentions that Webster is still officially just a fill-in for Dave, not the permanent replacement.

Glad to hear THAT!

Although intially he seemed to curtail that syncopated delivery style of his & Renee seemed to be bonding, listening this morning it made me feel that the former was back full strength & the latter was over. 

FYI, the only other white guy in my company, a sales colleague on the east coast & generally good guy, talks like that or even worse.  Like I said, good guy, but hard to deal with on a conf call because you can never be sure when he is pausing or when he is done speaking.  Makes for lots of unnecessary interruptions & repetitions.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 18, 2009, 08:59:04 PM »
Hey did anyone pay any attention to those Lennar Homes 55th anniversary adds that ran last week?  If you did (I heard them on KFOG, KFOX & KKSF) the festivities were at my development (called Sonata) on Saturday.  Went out to walk the dog & saw that in fact KFOX had a tent set up by the sales office & model homes.  Couple of interns gave me bumper stickers, admired the dog, had my fill out a form for a drawing.  Then an older guy walks over and asks me if I've seen the models yet, and what kind of house I'm in the market for.  Tell him I actually already bought one & rather like it.  He asks me which model & suddenly I recognize his voice & realize I'm not talking to some Lennar guy - it's Tim Jeffreys!

Turns out he lives in Pleasanton, only about 2 miles away (probably even closer to Wayback, come to think of it).  He asks how the neighborhood is shaping up, what the new school (visible from where we were chatting) is like, how my commute is, etc.  Says it only takes him half an hour or so, but then he never has to go during rush hour.  Asks me if I know all the different back roads to take to avoid trouble on the Sunol grade (which I do) & we compared notes on worst traffic jams we've experienced there.  I recollected that a year or so ago I won tix from him to see the revamped Earthquakes in their season/franchise opener & took my son.  He remembers giving those tix away (not specifically to me, but the promo that week), so we talk soccer for a few more minutes.  Nice guy.

--Carlos Santana, 2010