Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456240 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Local radio news
« Reply #360 on: June 06, 2008, 09:40:47 AM »
The WashPost's LAST radio column:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/29/AR2008052903285.html
Sorry to see that era end, but it's fitting with radio as we know it dying as well.  We're rapidly losing our notions of monoculture, which is both a good and bad thing.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 09, 2008, 08:57:23 AM »
well, local if you have Sirius: Lou Reed gets pissed at a journalist. No, really?

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2008/06/lou_reed_talks_his_new_radio_s.html
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 09, 2008, 09:31:49 AM »
well, local if you have Sirius: Lou Reed gets pissed at a journalist. No, really?

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2008/06/lou_reed_talks_his_new_radio_s.html
What a fucking asshole.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 19, 2008, 07:59:53 PM »
For those of you who've been in the area long enuf to remember M. Dung and his "Idiot Show" on KFOG (or his days as the morning guy, pre-Morey)... he has a website and does a monthly podcast:

http://www.idiotshow.net

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 19, 2008, 10:29:56 AM »
Something for Mike especially:

Interval Signals Online, home to airchecks, identification announcements, jingles and signature tunes from radio stations around the world.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 14, 2008, 12:51:04 PM »
The Bay Area Radio Hall of Fame announces its 2008 class of inductees.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/07/PKPB12IKUR.DTL&hw=Radio+Waves&sn=003&sc=819

Just out of curiousity, anyone else think there's someone on this list who's getting the honor just a l-e-e-e-e-tle bit prematurely in their career, compared with some of the other names on the roster?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 14, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/07/PKPB12IKUR.DTL&hw=Radio+Waves&sn=003&sc=819

Just out of curiousity, anyone else think there's someone on this list who's getting the honor just a l-e-e-e-e-tle bit prematurely in their career, compared with some of the other names on the roster?

Ha. I assume you're referring to Renel -- I guess she gets points for working two jobs and never sleeping?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 14, 2008, 11:17:54 PM »

Ha. I assume you're referring to Renel -- I guess she gets points for working two jobs and never sleeping?

Ding-ding-ding!!!  Yep, that's who I was thinking of. And I think her exposure in so many venues is why she must have rated nomination. She's definitely talented, and I would have no trouble with her making the hall in, say, 10 years or so. But right now she's still got some dues to pay (besides sleep deprivation that is).

And an aside on that last point I honestly don't see how she can be at the ballpark til after 10 at night, and be up and talking lucidly on the radio at 6am the next day. She must be a serious afternoon napper. Long home stands must be just HELL.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 15, 2008, 11:45:24 AM »

Ding-ding-ding!!!  Yep, that's who I was thinking of. And I think her exposure in so many venues is why she must have rated nomination. She's definitely talented, and I would have no trouble with her making the hall in, say, 10 years or so. But right now she's still got some dues to pay (besides sleep deprivation that is).

And an aside on that last point I honestly don't see how she can be at the ballpark til after 10 at night, and be up and talking lucidly on the radio at 6am the next day. She must be a serious afternoon napper. Long home stands must be just HELL.

First of all, she and Peter are on air at 5am...but the key word in your sentence is 'lucidly'.  Not sure about your definintion of 'lucid' but she certainly stretches mine from time to time.   ;)  ;)  ;)

That said she's by far the nicest one of them all in public, and I do like her a lot.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 15, 2008, 11:51:08 AM »
First of all, she and Peter are on air at 5am...but the key word in your sentence is 'lucidly'.  Not sure about your definintion of 'lucid' but she certainly stretches mine from time to time.   ;)  ;)  ;)

That said she's by far the nicest one of them all in public, and I do like her a lot.

er, Mark... we're talking about Renel, not Renee...

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 15, 2008, 11:59:06 AM »

I guess I picked the wrong day to give up sniffing glue!  D'Oh!!!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 15, 2008, 12:20:43 PM »

I guess I picked the wrong day to give up sniffing glue!  D'Oh!!!

If Renee gets into the HOF before Dave... I'll START sniffing glue! ;)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 21, 2008, 03:05:41 AM »
Starting 7:40AM Monday, Oct 27, KCBS will be simulcast on 106.9FM.  KFRC programming can be heard online at kfrc.com or on HD radios at KFRC-HD2.  Story: KFRC-FM drops rock for all-news format
San Francisco Chronicle, 10/21/08
Don't expect to hear classic rock when you turn on KFRC (106.9 FM) Monday morning. The station's owner, CBS, will replace the format with a simulcast of KCBS (740 AM)...
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/21/DDLB13L3PG.DTL&hw=kcbs&sn=001&sc=1000

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 21, 2008, 07:36:55 AM »
Starting 7:40AM Monday, Oct 27, KCBS will be simulcast on 106.9FM.  KFRC programming can be heard online at kfrc.com or on HD radios at KFRC-HD2.  Story: KFRC-FM drops rock for all-news format
Don't expect to hear classic rock when you turn on KFRC (106.9 FM) Monday morning. The station's owner, CBS, will replace the format with a simulcast of KCBS (740 AM)...
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/21/DDLB13L3PG.DTL&hw=kcbs&sn=001&sc=1000

Wow. I mean, KFRC was doing *nothing* ratings-wise, but still.  Goodbye Csaey Kasem (locally).

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 21, 2008, 10:36:07 AM »
Wow. I mean, KFRC was doing *nothing* ratings-wise, but still.  Goodbye Csaey Kasem (locally).
Yeah, it's a bit of a bummer, as I did occasionally turn to KFRC at home and in the car for my fix of classic hits and of course to hear Casey.  At least he'll still be on KFRC thru their website and HD radio (and other webstreaming stations).  Guess I'll consider getting an HD radio for Casey, 10at10 and other programs (will KFOG-HD still do 24-hr 10at10's?).  I've been taping Casey off KFRC each Sat since March, so I'll miss that.  Hey, do they make HD radios with a cassette recorder?  No?!  Oh well.  But wait, there is another option!... move to Modesto to tape Casey Sundays 10am-1pm as it airs over Oldies 97.5 Modesto-Merced-Fresno! ;)