Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456260 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local (and other) radio news
« on: April 07, 2005, 09:13:22 AM »
Well, I think it's pretty big...

My fave local station, Oldies 1510, which I've been singing the praises of here since November, is about to be history.  Which is very sad, they were playing a fine mix of stuff (they're a simulcast of their sister station in LA which I'm hoping will stream one of these days).  The station was sold the other day for a cool 5 mil -- a nice chunk o'change for a low-power AM with a crappy signal.

BUT -- and here's the good part -- the new owners are apparently planning to use 1510 to simulcast KPIG, the GREAT South Bay progressive/alt/freeform station that you can't hear north of San Jose and that charges a yearly subscription for their web stream. Woo Hoo! Set a button on your car radio NOW!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 08:16:59 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Big local radio news
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 09:30:45 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

My fave local station, Oldies 1510, which I've been singing the praises of here since November, is about to be history.  Which is very sad, they were playing a fine mix of stuff (they're a simulcast of their sister station in LA which I'm hoping will stream one of these days).  The station was sold the other day for a cool 5 mil -- a nice chunk o'change for a low-power AM with a crappy signal.

BUT -- and here's the good part -- the new owners are apparently planning to use 1510 to simulcast KPIG, the GREAT South Bay progressive/alt/freeform station that you can't hear north of San Jose and that charges a yearly subscription for their web stream. Woo Hoo! Set a button on your car radio NOW!

never heard of KPIG, but I should be able to get them in my office, what's their frequency Kenneth?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 09:43:15 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

never heard of KPIG, but I should be able to get them in my office, what's their frequency Kenneth?

They're at 107.5; the Bone may drown them out where you are. I think their signal is directional for that reason. But they're pretty terrific.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 09:46:20 AM »

Their standard frequency is 107<oink>5 on your FM dial, but you may only be able to get their signal sporadically if at all. They're based in Freedom, CA, down between Santa Cruz and Monterey, and have a teeny tiny transmitter that's held together with scotch tape and old rolling papers. I've never been able to get their signal anywhere outside of the Monterey bay area (and not that well there), unless the wind was right and it was the third Tuesday after a full moon.

However I am PSYCHED that they may be accessible in this part of the world, even via AM. I've got a KPIG sticker proudly displayed by my desk.

Btw, I believe KPIG was the first commercial station ever to stream on the web.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: KPIG
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 12:55:12 PM »
Quote from: "urth"

Their standard frequency is 107<oink>5 on your FM dial, but you may only be able to get their signal sporadically if at all. They're based in Freedom, CA, down between Santa Cruz and Monterey, and have a teeny tiny transmitter that's held together with scotch tape and old rolling papers. I've never been able to get their signal anywhere outside of the Monterey bay area (and not that well there), unless the wind was right and it was the third Tuesday after a full moon.

However I am PSYCHED that they may be accessible in this part of the world, even via AM. I've got a KPIG sticker proudly displayed by my desk.

Btw, I believe KPIG was the first commercial station ever to stream on the web.
Great news.  Whenever we travel to Monterey/Santa Cruz, we tune in 107.5 and stay there until we drive out of the area.  They are so eclectic, it's unreal.  Example: On the way north, I heard a song by 3 Twins (related to the Subdudes somehow) play this song called "Look at this day the Lord has made" (or something like that)  This song had the coolest rhythm, but I can't find a copy anywhere!  Too cruel to play cool musice you can't get!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 01:04:18 PM »
The story about this was by Brad Kava in yesterday's Merc (on their wesite if you're registered).  He says the simulcast will start in July.  Can't Hardly Wait!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 07:31:25 PM »
Keep us posted. I've heard KPIG before too but will surely forget come July.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 09:28:27 AM »
saw no reason to start a new thread for this tidbit, but: last nite The Bone flipped Little Steven and Joel Selvin; LS started at 9 and JS at 11. Not sure if this was a computer glitch or a permanent switch (and I'm starting to itch!) but FYI.

I'd certainly prefer to hear all of Steven before drifting off to sleep, but I caught a few minutes of Selvin and he did another "B-sides" show and those are always enlightening.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 08:03:08 AM »
SF is getting the first podcast radio format, on 1550 (currently KYCY, a talk station):

http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,67344,00.html?tw=wn_story_top5

and in related news, Happy 73rd birthday to Casey Kasem!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 07:42:44 AM »
More on the 1550 AM podcast format:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/04/28/BUGETCGGLH1.DTL

and here's the station's website:

http://www.kyouradio.com/

Gaz, I'm especially interested to hear your thoughts on this.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 07:49:22 AM »
KFRC's AM version at 610 is no more.  Infinity sold it recently, in a kinda swap deal, getting 106.9 from the religious outfit that owns it.  Last nite at midnite, KFRC-AM started simulcasting 106.9. (I assume they'll still broacast the A's games.)

No word on when 106.9 will flip to a new format or what it will be.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 08:10:38 AM »
If anyone cares, "The Bear" is no more -- they flipped yesterday to 95.7 MAX, making them SF's first full-time "Jack" clone ("we play whatever we want").  A couple of other stations (like Star 101.3) have been doing "Whatever Weekends".

MAX apparently sounds a lot like the old SF version of The Drive, only without jocks.  A dumb move, IMHO.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 01:15:57 PM »
I just started listening to 95.7 MAX-FM on their stream

http://957max.com/?CFID=6224522&CFTOKEN=52264642

and the first song I'm hearing is Dan Hartman, "I Can Dream About You", so I'm instantly hooked, at least for a while.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 01:51:54 PM »
It's been all downhill since Dan Hartman...  MAX-FM is like KOIT, The Bone and KFOG thrown into a blender together --- with all the Katrinas rising to the surface.  Men at Work, "Down Under" -- yikes, I think I'M gonna "chunder"...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 12:55:32 PM »
interesting post on the Radio-Info SF board, re: Family Radio, the new owners of KFRC-AM:

http://www.radio-info.com/mods/board?Post=435321&Board=sanfrancisco