Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456415 times)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1365 on: April 22, 2016, 08:29:32 PM »

Man... do I have an open slot? Suggestions? I'm in South Bay, so reception may vary.

92.3 Bollywood FM? ;)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: April 22, 2016, 10:17:04 PM »
Rumor has it Live 105 has started playing the Sublime cover of "Smoke 2 Joints" at 5pm on Fridays...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: April 22, 2016, 10:50:24 PM »
HA, I forgot I flipped to 99.7 because my son and his friend wanted to listen to it. I liked some of it (that Beiber song is by Sheeran - that's my excuse!) And so that's my other preset. Oy!

I need to switch from The Bone to KFOX, thanks for that tip.

I dig jazz in moderate dosages. I'll try to remember to hit up KSCM from time to time.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: May 06, 2016, 07:38:03 PM »
Just heard on BIG 103.7 during Friday Night Flashbacks: Bronski Beat "Why?"

BIG just earned a disgruntled KFOG ex-listener.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: May 06, 2016, 08:46:12 PM »
Just heard on BIG 103.7 during Friday Night Flashbacks: Bronski Beat "Why?"

BIG just earned a disgruntled KFOG ex-listener.

They do a decent job of covering all the '80s bases, ever since they inherited all the '80s New Wave hits that Kiss-FM used to feature. Knowing that they played Bronski Beat certainly ups them a notch in my esteem.

In other local radio headlines, "The Breeze" just hired onetime KOIT deejay Jack Kulp to be their morning guy. That's the good news; the bad news is they're carrying the syndicated Delilah in evenings.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: May 09, 2016, 08:31:07 PM »
The April ratings came out today; KFOG down a tick (from 1.9 to 1.8 ), so not the major dip I was hoping for. Guess most folks haven't even noticed the change.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: June 03, 2016, 09:54:26 AM »
In the car this morning, punching around the dial...

Hit up KFOG and they were playing Len's "Steal My Sunshine", a mild surprise but it turned out to be a set-up: Pinfield talked about the sample (Andrea True) and then segued to "and you're doing something similar, right Greg?" -- yeah they trying for a sequel to the Boob Project song and it's for Animal Rescue, so they're planning to sample "Rescue Me" by Fontella Bass (who Greg thought was a group; Pinfield corrected him. Oy.).

Then over to the Breeze. They were teasing their gossip segment (gossip being de rigeur for any morning show aimed at women). And the woman teamed with Jack Kulp says "There was a BIG marriage proposal in Hollywood and it was REJECTED! You'll never guess who it was!" Now, honestly... I knew immediately it was the Gwen Stefani/Blake Shelton thing; it's a TWO WEEK OLD STORY that was all over the tabloids and everyplace else.  So, it was a gossip segment for shut-ins who aren't on social media and who never watch TV?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: June 09, 2016, 03:43:49 PM »
May ratings just out: KFOG down another tick (from 1.8 to 1.7). So while they haven't plummeted, they don't seem to be drawing in new listeners either... unless the number of older folks lost is equal to the number of younger ones joining the fold.

But the big news is that The Breeze jumped from a 2.2 to a 3.6 -- a somewhat unheard-of thing in the space of one month.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: June 09, 2016, 08:44:17 PM »
103.7, which had been mostly '80s is now ALL '80s, with Martha Quinn (!) in mornings. The format is basically the iHeartRadio '80s stream, with deejays added.  So I guess we won't be hearing Bronski Beat again anytime soon. :(

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: June 10, 2016, 12:20:20 PM »
103.7, which had been mostly '80s is now ALL '80s, with Martha Quinn (!) in mornings. The format is basically the iHeartRadio '80s stream, with deejays added.  So I guess we won't be hearing Bronski Beat again anytime soon. :(

I hope they keep the Friday Night Flashbacks. I guess we’ll find out tonight.

Edit: It's gone.  :'(
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 11:22:15 PM by radical347 »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: June 11, 2016, 09:14:02 PM »
And the switch finally happened at San Jose's KLIV, which ended decades of all-news and became classic country today. Songs from the '80s/'90s/'00s.

http://www.kliv.com/

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: June 13, 2016, 04:24:28 PM »
And the switch finally happened at San Jose's KLIV, which ended decades of all-news and became classic country today. Songs from the '80s/'90s/'00s.

"'80s/'90s/'00s" qualifies as classic country? Spare me please.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: June 13, 2016, 06:15:46 PM »

"'80s/'90s/'00s" qualifies as classic country? Spare me please.

Sadly, no station is gonna play '60s & '70s country. For me, late '80s/early '90s stuff -- the "new trad" movement, from Randy Travis to the unfortunate moment when Shania Twain showed up -- was quite a renaissance. A golden age, even, esp compared to what's on country top 40 these days.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: July 17, 2016, 03:01:19 PM »
Weekend DJ Jaeger just announced his resignation from 107.7 The Bone (classic rock), a Cumulus station. He mentioned something about how the times are changing , the industry is changing, etc., how "a guy can't work part-time forever" and that "the new PD, Brian, is a good guy, a rocker through and through." 

His sign-off song was "Freebird" (studio version) by Lynyrd Skynyrd.  He said he WANTED to play some David Lee Roth song as his final send-off, but since The Bone is doing "rock blocks" this weekend, he couldn't... the presumed reasoning being that DLR doesn't have enough playlist power to justify a whole ROCK BLOCK.  Maybe a two-fer, double-shot or twin-spin, but def not a rock-block (or lunch block, either, of course).

Corporate bastids!

Too bad, liked him...  Bon voyage.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 03:15:58 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: July 20, 2016, 10:09:40 AM »
Weekend DJ Jaeger just announced his resignation from 107.7 The Bone (classic rock), a Cumulus station. He mentioned something about how the times are changing , the industry is changing, etc., how "a guy can't work part-time forever" and that "the new PD, Brian, is a good guy, a rocker through and through." 

His sign-off song was "Freebird" (studio version) by Lynyrd Skynyrd.  He said he WANTED to play some David Lee Roth song as his final send-off, but since The Bone is doing "rock blocks" this weekend, he couldn't... the presumed reasoning being that DLR doesn't have enough playlist power to justify a whole ROCK BLOCK.  Maybe a two-fer, double-shot or twin-spin, but def not a rock-block (or lunch block, either, of course).

Corporate bastids!

Too bad, liked him...  Bon voyage.

"You get Chicken McNuggets for your last meal."
Slipping into something
And out of something else