Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456457 times)

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #870 on: February 01, 2012, 01:15:57 PM »
DUUUUUUDE! It's Rush Day! (and we don't mean Limbaugh)

http://www.rttnews.com/Story.aspx?type=ent&Section=2&Id=1809021&%3BSM=1

So, are The Bone and/or K-Fox participating in this?

Most definitely an Ehhhhhh! moment
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 01, 2012, 08:35:17 PM »

Oh good lord nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.............. sez the Alicat that doesn't appreciate Rush.
Sharks bleed teal.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 02, 2012, 08:23:13 AM »

Oh good lord nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.............. sez the Alicat that doesn't appreciate Rush.

A wise man once said on this very forum board:

"Believe it if you need it, leave it if you dare!"

Today's Tom Sawyer: He gets high on you, man.
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #873 on: February 04, 2012, 03:56:35 PM »
A wise man once said on this very forum board:

"Believe it if you need it, leave it if you dare!"

On that tenuous note/connection, the KPFA Grateful Dead Marathon is on all day today.  There may only be a couple of us interested.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 05, 2012, 11:34:16 AM »
From Ben Fong-Torres' column today: "If any local stations are still talking to me, I'll be on various morning shows this Friday..."  plugging his hosting gig  on the Chinese New Year parade.  I wonder who he's referring to besides maybe KFOG.

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 10, 2012, 10:05:35 AM »
interesting comments on the Peak's FB page regarding "Stairway to Heaven" making an appearance this morning:

"Stairway to Heaven???? If I wanted to listen to over played music I would listen to KRock"

"This was peaks cheesy way to sneek it in without putting in the normal rotation. Better throw that spot away that promised you never play stairway like those other stations... hmmmmm"

"Ugh, can't stand Led Zep! Stairway is the most overplayed song in the history of rock"

I commented that I hadn't heard it with headphones in awhile and that it sounded good to me, and another guy said

"Funny - I haven't actually heard "Stairway To Heaven" in 5 or 6 years. Anywhere on any station. I'm with Mike above - sounded pretty fresh and I don't ever remember promising it would never play on The Peak... No worries...we'll put it away for another year or two."

and Rob Arrow replied

"Compared to other commercial stations, I think The Peak does a great job not overplaying well-worn classics. But the 10@10 brings back music from a specific time and you couldn't listen to rock radio in February of 1972 WITHOUT hearing "Stairway to Heaven". We've never promised not to play it and this is only the 10th time it's aired in our 8 years. Besides it's an incredible piece of music. If you're tired of it, you're listening to classic rock radio too much!"

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 10, 2012, 08:38:05 PM »
interesting comments on the Peak's FB page regarding "Stairway to Heaven" making an appearance this morning:

"Stairway to Heaven???? If I wanted to listen to over played music I would listen to KRock"

"This was peaks cheesy way to sneek it in without putting in the normal rotation. Better throw that spot away that promised you never play stairway like those other stations... hmmmmm"

"Ugh, can't stand Led Zep! Stairway is the most overplayed song in the history of rock"

I commented that I hadn't heard it with headphones in awhile and that it sounded good to me, and another guy said

"Funny - I haven't actually heard "Stairway To Heaven" in 5 or 6 years. Anywhere on any station. I'm with Mike above - sounded pretty fresh and I don't ever remember promising it would never play on The Peak... No worries...we'll put it away for another year or two."

and Rob Arrow replied

"Compared to other commercial stations, I think The Peak does a great job not overplaying well-worn classics. But the 10@10 brings back music from a specific time and you couldn't listen to rock radio in February of 1972 WITHOUT hearing "Stairway to Heaven". We've never promised not to play it and this is only the 10th time it's aired in our 8 years. Besides it's an incredible piece of music. If you're tired of it, you're listening to classic rock radio too much!"

Truth be told, I can't remember it ever appearing on 10@10, although the song might have been/might be a bit too rock for KFOG.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 10, 2012, 09:48:22 PM »

Truth be told, I can't remember it ever appearing on 10@10, although the song might have been/might be a bit too rock for KFOG.

I don't think Dave ever played it, certainly. Funny that KFOG didn't even play it during the past couple years when it was trying to compete with the Bone and KKSF and *was* playing "Sweet Home Alabama" 27 times a week.  KFOG began in '82 as a "Superstars II" format (created by famous radio consultants Burkhardt & Abrams) which was an AOR format that specifically promised NOT to play "burned out" tracks like "STH", but instead would play other Zep songs that were not as overexposed ("Kashmir" for example). The Triple-A format sort of evolved from that philosophy. (Lord knows KFOG has played "Goin to California" enuf times in the last 10 years.)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #878 on: February 11, 2012, 04:27:26 PM »

I don't think Dave ever played it, certainly. Funny that KFOG didn't even play it during the past couple years when it was trying to compete with the Bone and KKSF and *was* playing "Sweet Home Alabama" 27 times a week.  KFOG began in '82 as a "Superstars II" format (created by famous radio consultants Burkhardt & Abrams) which was an AOR format that specifically promised NOT to play "burned out" tracks like "STH", but instead would play other Zep songs that were not as overexposed ("Kashmir" for example). The Triple-A format sort of evolved from that philosophy. (Lord knows KFOG has played "Goin to California" enuf times in the last 10 years.)
So, if AL played it on 10@10, you couldn't call it a Katrina, but you'd classify it as LN?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: February 11, 2012, 04:48:20 PM »

So, if AL played it on 10@10, you couldn't call it a Katrina, but you'd classify it as LN?

I probably wouldn't call it an LN, since I rarely hear it anywhere (I don't really listen to The Bone or K-Fox; I'm guessing they play it occasionally). It really did sound good Friday morning on the Peak with the headphones on. But I wouldn't want it to pop up regularly.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 11, 2012, 04:59:49 PM »

I probably wouldn't call it an LN, since I rarely hear it anywhere (I don't really listen to The Bone or K-Fox; I'm guessing they play it occasionally). It really did sound good Friday morning on the Peak with the headphones on. But I wouldn't want it to pop up regularly.

In my book, a LN is something that regularly appears on KFOG, i.e. "Wild Wild Life", without necessarily having appeared on 10@10 enough to be a Katrina.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 11, 2012, 05:12:58 PM »
In my book, a LN is something that regularly appears on KFOG, i.e. "Wild Wild Life", without necessarily having appeared on 10@10 enough to be a Katrina.

yes -- you nailed it. Tho' the fact that I listen to the Peak and Drive 10@10s regularly tends to color my perception of songs.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 11, 2012, 11:05:30 PM »

The Bone does play it every once in a while, and I turn it up every time.  I will sit in my car until it's over.  It is the greatest rock and roll song of all time, but I wouldn't say it's necessary in any 10@10.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: February 23, 2012, 08:37:13 AM »
was in the car last nite bouncing around the dial. Laura Branigan's "Gloria" came on (to my great delight) and it wasn't until it ended that i discovered I was not listening to Kiss-FM as I thought, but Oldies 103.7!  Kudos.

Meanwhile, how many times a week does Kiss play "Bad Mama Jama"?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 08:40:17 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 07, 2012, 11:52:35 AM »
Rush (the band) hates Rush (the Limbaugh):

http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/2012/03/07/rockers-rush-gabriel-want-music-off-limbaugh-show/?tsp=1

Spirit of radio, indeed.  Limbaugh's popular with sayyyyyyyyylesmayun.