Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456159 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #720 on: March 16, 2011, 09:42:40 AM »
I hopped into the car at 9:48am & almost crashed pulling out of the driveway.  I'd been listening to 92.3 when I parked the night before (apparently), and so I turn the key & first thing I know I'm right in the middle of Television's 10-minute tour-de-force "Marquee Moon".

HOLEEE SHHHHHIIITTT!!!!!!

sadly, the comapny that owns the station is Principle, whose main business is selling brokered time to ethnic broadcasters, so it's doubtful the current format will last. Enjoy it while ya can!

as predicted: 92.3 goes "ethnic" today...

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/88664/ksjo-set-to-debut-new-format?ref=mail_recap#
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 16, 2011, 10:16:01 AM »
Their last song was "There is a Light that Never Goes Out" by The Smiths.  And it went straight into...

a Chinese rock song!  :o  LMAO!  (I think I'm actually digging this!)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 20, 2011, 10:01:46 PM »
B F-T's latest deals with various internet radio purveyors and apps for your smart phone.

http://www.sfgate.com/columns/radiowaves/

The one that really caught my attention is DAR.fm, which he describes as "TiVo for radio." Since lately I miss a lot of 10@10s due to scheduling conflicts, I'm all over that.

Or rather I would be if KFOG were on the list of stations they cover. It's not, nor is KFFG, the south bay repeater frequency. Will contact them to see if they can add it and report back.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #723 on: March 20, 2011, 11:24:17 PM »
B F-T's latest deals with various internet radio purveyors and apps for your smart phone.

http://www.sfgate.com/columns/radiowaves/

The one that really caught my attention is DAR.fm, which he describes as "TiVo for radio." Since lately I miss a lot of 10@10s due to scheduling conflicts, I'm all over that.

Or rather I would be if KFOG were on the list of stations they cover. It's not, nor is KFFG, the south bay repeater frequency. Will contact them to see if they can add it and report back.
Well, I read in the article about Karel leaving Green960 for KGO.  I guess he had to do it, he was pretty broke, but Green960 was very supportive.  I wonder who will fill that slot.  I listen to Stephanie Miller for about 15+ minutes in the morning, and Karel on the way home, up until now.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 28, 2011, 12:24:37 PM »
Looks like the A's new radio home (at least temporarily) will be 1550 AM, KFRC.  So look forward to more pre-emptions of Casey Kasem on Saturdays, I guess.

The A's are trying to buy KTRB 860, which went into receivership last year. But in the meantime they needed a local outlet that is, y'know, actually broadcasting 24/7. So KFRC has... stepped up to the plate.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 31, 2011, 11:37:38 AM »
Looks like the A's new radio home (at least temporarily) will be 1550 AM, KFRC.  So look forward to more pre-emptions of Casey Kasem on Saturdays, I guess.

The A's are trying to buy KTRB 860, which went into receivership last year. But in the meantime they needed a local outlet that is, y'know, actually broadcasting 24/7. So KFRC has... stepped up to the plate.

Well cut off mah legs and call me shorty! Did not see this coming: the A's new flagship station is... 95.7 The Wolf! Yes, the country station whose ratings are in the toilet.   Guess team owner Lew Wolff liked their name...

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110331&content_id=17225284&vkey=pr_oak&fext=.jsp&c_id=oak

KFRC carried the Bay Bridge series games this week. But damn, now KTRB is even more worthless than it was before (which was pretty worthless).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 11:48:09 AM by RGMike »

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 31, 2011, 11:49:54 AM »

Their last song was "There is a Light that Never Goes Out" by The Smiths.  And it went straight into...

a Chinese rock song!  :o  LMAO!  (I think I'm actually digging this!)

I was so bummed.  I went into the house about 5:45pm and it was still alternative, and got back into the car at 6:30pm & it was Chinese (which I could mostly understand mind you).  Turned it on again with the family in the car on that Saturday so my Taiwanese wife (& chinese-learning kids) could hear it, and it was The. Exact. Same. Song.  Some female singer voicing lyrics about 'I love you, but not enough'.  Even Christina thought it was crap!

I can barely listen to the radio anymore in the morning outside of 10at10.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: April 07, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
per a thread on radio-info.com, The Band has tweaked its format and is now "the Bay's Greatest Hits" -- in other words, it's now closer to the old KFRC or 'CBS-FM than K-Fox....

Just tried The Band again after someone on radio-info blurbed them again, and now it seems they're (finally) full-on "Classic Hits". I've heard '60s Motown and other soul (JJ Jacksons' "But It's Alright" was a nice treat) as well as staples like "Rocket man".

BTW, in addition to L&M's "Danny's Song" I heard KFOG playing David Essex yesterday morning which has never been in their regular mix before.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: April 08, 2011, 11:06:40 AM »
per a thread on radio-info.com, The Band has tweaked its format and is now "the Bay's Greatest Hits" -- in other words, it's now closer to the old KFRC or 'CBS-FM than K-Fox....

Just tried The Band again after someone on radio-info blurbed them again, and now it seems they're (finally) full-on "Classic Hits". I've heard '60s Motown and other soul (JJ Jacksons' "But It's Alright" was a nice treat) as well as staples like "Rocket man".

per the radio-info SF board, The Band says "listen today at 3pm for an annoucement that will change Bay Area Radio".  Er, OK.  Any guesses?

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: April 08, 2011, 12:16:29 PM »

per the radio-info SF board, The Band says "listen today at 3pm for an annoucement that will change Bay Area Radio".  Er, OK.  Any guesses?

Layla 24 hours a day?
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: April 08, 2011, 12:24:56 PM »

Layla 24 hours a day?

that might get better ratings than what they have now ;)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: April 08, 2011, 03:04:06 PM »

Layla 24 hours a day?

My gut says they're flipping to something other than classic rock, which didn't take long after KUFX started horning in on things. What they're flipping to, not a clue.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: April 08, 2011, 03:23:56 PM »

Layla 24 hours a day?

My gut says they're flipping to something other than classic rock, which didn't take long after KUFX started horning in on things. What they're flipping to, not a clue.

Not a flip so much as a segue: They're officially calling themselves "Oldies 103.7"., tho' the website is a bit schizoid, with both logos in various places.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: April 08, 2011, 05:34:27 PM »

Layla 24 hours a day?

Not a flip so much as a segue: They're officially calling themselves "Oldies 103.7"., tho' the website is a bit schizoid, with both logos in various places.

sounds like they're having a senior, er... Oldies moment!  BWAHAHHA!
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: April 08, 2011, 06:51:44 PM »

sounds like they're having a senior, er... Oldies moment!  BWAHAHHA!

And -- oxymoron alert! -- they're "the NEW Oldies 103.7". As someone on radio-info asked, "what about OLD oldies?"