Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456427 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #705 on: February 23, 2011, 01:44:18 PM »
For those who like their "lite rock" REALLY lite... a station in Miami has burst into the Top Ten, ratings-wise, with a lite-rock format heavy on older stuff like the Carpenters etc (I'm hearing Glen Campbell as I write this). All the stuff that most "Lite" stations have jettisoned in favor of Los Lonely Boys and Rhianna. So it sounds like KOIT did... 15 years ago. Granted, Florida is, er, unique demographicaly with all those retirees, but some folks are surprised at how well the station is doing.  "Easy 93.1":

http://streaming.easy93.com/_players/coxradio/index.php?callsign=WHDRFM

OMG: Jackie DeShannon, "What the World Needs Now".

People on radio message boards have been saying for several years now that in markets where there's a dominant "lite" staiton that has made its playlist more upbeat and current, a station that goes "liter than lite" could do well (even tho' it would skew older) -- and I can totally see why this station is doing well in FLA. I feel like I'm at the dentist... in a good way. And here's Anne Murray!

And now Sheena Easton, "For Your Eyes Only". Of course, the songs I've heard this hour may repeat 20 times a week for all I know, but at the moment I'm kinda enjoying this.

ETA: it's always fun until someone gets hurt -- a couple hours of enjoyment climaxes with a HFH, Patrick Swayze, "She's Like Passing Wind".  But Ms Ronstadt's Nelson Riddle-period "What's New" makes it all better. adieu!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 03:36:48 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: February 24, 2011, 10:40:56 AM »
Thanks for this - my soft spot for lite-lite grows larger with every passing year.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: February 24, 2011, 10:58:16 AM »
Thanks for this - my soft spot for lite-lite grows larger with every passing year.

WARNING: prolonged exposure to this station may cause early-bird dinnering and elderly Jewishness. Oy!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 24, 2011, 11:16:23 AM »

If I had an alley, this station would be right up it.  However, much as I like the playlist, the stream fidelity isn't very clear.  

Gaz, and other lite-lite fans: if you have itunes, the "Radio" tab has a couple tabs you might dig:

70s Retro and
Golden Oldies

you can always find something good there, with good sounding (128k bit) streams

and one more thing:  You kids, GET OFF MY LAWN!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:20:31 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: February 24, 2011, 11:19:50 AM »

If I had an alley, this station would be right up it.  I like the playlist, but the stream fidelity isn't very clear.   

well, old people's ears don't really notice the diff. ;)

There are apparently a couple other stations like this in that neck o' the woods; I'll post as I investigate.

ETA: another is "Easy 97.7" in the Baltimore area:

http://www.easy977.com/

They didn't exactly thrill me with Crapton's "Wonderful Tonite" but they instantly got bonus points for Mercy's "Love Can make You Happy"
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:40:52 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 24, 2011, 11:28:28 AM »
re: Lite-Lite:

here's one that might be good:

http://1club.fm/radio-stations/viewgroup/58-70slitehits
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 28, 2011, 03:57:29 PM »
apparently "Channel 92.3" signed off at 1 PM and are now replaced by another alternative format, a DJ-less mix that advertises "SaveAlternative.com". 

http://www.savealternative.com/

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: February 28, 2011, 07:58:31 PM »
apparently "Channel 92.3" signed off at 1 PM and are now replaced by another alternative format, a DJ-less mix that advertises "SaveAlternative.com". 

Wonder if the Save KUSF folks know about this? They'd love to take over 92.3. :)
Let's get right to it.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: February 28, 2011, 09:19:24 PM »

And it sounds MUCH better than it did before! :)  Like a cross between the pre-sellout (June 2010) Channel 92.3 and KFOG's new music nights.  Digging it.  Hope it stays.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 01, 2011, 10:52:28 AM »
I hopped into the car at 9:48am & almost crashed pulling out of the driveway.  I'd been listening to 92.3 when I parked the night before (apparently), and so I turn the key & first thing I know I'm right in the middle of Television's 10-minute tour-de-force "Marquee Moon".

HOLEEE SHHHHHIIITTT!!!!!!

that said, I'm really gonna miss Madden.  I called in from time to time & he was always really cool to chat with.  I guess Tanner, only slightly less cool to talk to, is now on Live 105 head to head with Annalisa.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: March 01, 2011, 01:06:04 PM »
I hopped into the car at 9:48am & almost crashed pulling out of the driveway.  I'd been listening to 92.3 when I parked the night before (apparently), and so I turn the key & first thing I know I'm right in the middle of Television's 10-minute tour-de-force "Marquee Moon".

sadly, the comapny that owns the station is Principle, whose main business is selling brokered time to ethnic broadcasters, so it's doubtful the current format will last. Enjoy it while ya can!

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 01, 2011, 01:29:31 PM »

OMFG!!!!!!  Noooo waaaay!!!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: March 01, 2011, 01:41:16 PM »

OMFG!!!!!!  Noooo waaaay!!!

noice.   I can't get the station from here, a building in downtown SF.  Maybe I'll walk around on my lunch hour and see if I can.
~CPL593H~

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: March 01, 2011, 01:50:40 PM »
I caught "This is the Day" from The The & "Revenge" from Ministry last night!  Now they're playing some of the things that they did yesterday (in the same order, too  :-X ).  Looking at the yes.com logs, it seems to be in a 22-hour loop, at least for its first two days.  Still, could be much worse.  I'll still be locked in!

...and now Placebo's remake of "Running Up That Hill" came on.  Yeah!!!!!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: March 01, 2011, 07:19:24 PM »

I KNEW I'd learn about it here. Over the weekend I was totally digging the all request format. Guess they had no format, hah! Friday must have been everyones last day! Things didn't sound normal there this morning and on my drive home tonight I could not bear to listen to 92.3.  Came here to get the 411.  The new 92.3 is not my cuppa joe. They were all over the place at HP last week sponsoring Linkin Park.  I have been listening a lot to KISS. Renel in the morning and great old school.  A few years back 92.3 went all Spanish and Lamont and Tonelli went to the Bone. The Spanish didn't last long. Will it make a comeback?
Sharks bleed teal.