Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456446 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #690 on: February 15, 2011, 08:48:49 AM »
The Band also offering $1000 three times a day to caller 103. Way to buy listeners. Gotta say I do prefer the Band over KUFX. KUFX is only good to me for Sharks broadcasts.

per a thread on radio-info.com, The Band has tweaked its format and is now "the Bay's Greatest Hits" -- in other words, it's now closer to the old KFRC or 'CBS-FM than K-Fox. One poster listened for a while:

"Turtles, Mamas and Papas, Jonathan Edwards, Temptations, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Don McLean, Harry Chapin, Raspberries, Dobie Gray, Jim Croce, Lovin;' Spoonful,  Four Seasons, Looking Glass, Orleans and Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds..."

A smart move on their part. I'll have to sample them in a bit, after JJ's soul hour.

ETA: been listening about 25 mins. Still pretty rock-heavy (U2, FMac, BufSpgfld) but I'm being subjected to "American Pie" right now -- a KFRC staple -- which I'm guessing they haven't played much previously. More pop, please.

OK, early Beatles is pop-y as is BJ "Movin' Out" and S&G getting up to wash their face -- such cunning linguists.

aaaack! "Brown-Eyed Girl". time to change stations.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 09:55:18 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: February 15, 2011, 09:28:08 AM »
The Band also offering $1000 three times a day to caller 103. Way to buy listeners. Gotta say I do prefer the Band over KUFX. KUFX is only good to me for Sharks broadcasts.

per a thread on radio-info.com, The Band has tweaked its format and is now "the Bay's Greatest Hits" -- in other words, it's now closer to the old KFRC or 'CBS-FM than K-Fox. One poster listened for an hour:

"Turtles, Mamas and Papas, Jonathan Edwards, Temptations, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Don McLean, Harry Chapin, Raspberries, Dobie Gray, Jim Croce, Lovin;' Spoonful,  Four Seasons, Looking Glass, Orleans and Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds..."

A smart move on their part. I'll have to sample them in a bit, after JJ's soul hour.
Me too. Saw post re new PD at 104.5.  What happened to who?
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 15, 2011, 09:44:35 AM »
Me too. Saw post re new PD at 104.5.  What happened to who?

KFOG got rid of Benson something like 2 years ago and never replaced him. Music Director (and host of "Sideshow") Kelly Ransford was also assistant PD and was presumably doing Benson's job in the interim. Benson ended up in Seattle at KMTT "The Mountain", and Ransford got tired of waiting for Cumulus to either promote her or give her some sort of support, so she finally quit and moved to Seattle to work for Benson as KFOG was hiring the new guy, Dennis Constantine, who has done this format everywhere including KINK Portland and KBCO Boulder.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: February 16, 2011, 09:25:35 AM »
OK, I'm really trying to give the "new" 103.7 The Band a chance, but sheesh: one painfully overplayed "classic" after another. This half-hour alone:

"Barracuda"
"Down Under"
"Dream On"
"Boys Are Back in Town"
"Layla"
"What a Fool Believes"
"Moondance"

Gawd.

AAACK! "Lights" sends me screaming from the computer.  Alert me when they start playing more KFRC-style pop & soul.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 09:38:40 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 16, 2011, 10:11:37 AM »
OK, I'm really trying to give the "new" 103.7 The Band a chance, but sheesh: one painfully overplayed "classic" after another. This half-hour alone:

"Barracuda"
"Down Under"
"Dream On"
"Boys Are Back in Town"
"Layla"
"What a Fool Believes"
"Moondance"

Gawd.

AAACK! "Lights" sends me screaming from the computer.  Alert me when they start playing more KFRC-style pop & soul.

amazing, all those songs and Boston doesn't appear once!   They're slipping.  I like most of the music in their narrow scope, butt don't listen that much.  It gets boring.
~CPL593H~

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: February 16, 2011, 10:37:24 AM »

"Barracuda"
"Down Under"
"Dream On"
"Boys Are Back in Town"
"Layla"
"What a Fool Believes"
"Moondance"

Gawd.

amazing, all those songs and Boston doesn't appear once!   They're slipping.  I like most of the music in their narrow scope, butt don't listen that much.  It gets boring.
Still better than KFOX!

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 19, 2011, 07:56:08 AM »
16 hour Grateful Dead marathon today 9AM to Sunday 1AM on KPFA 94.1, hosted by David Gans
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/02/19/MNBI1HPCB9.DTL

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 19, 2011, 09:20:24 AM »
Sunday at 2 PM PST, Sound Opinion will do a show examining The Monkees. 

airs locally at KALW 91.7 FM on your regular, non-app dial.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 09:24:09 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 19, 2011, 07:17:17 PM »
interesting thread on radio-info.com about Big Rick:

http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=185370.0

love the guy who says he basically couldn't see much difference between BR and his replacement.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 19, 2011, 08:02:42 PM »

love the guy who says he basically couldn't see much difference between BR and his replacement.

yeah, that guy is radical!
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: February 19, 2011, 10:28:26 PM »

OMG -- I didn't notice it was our own R-348! And he has a point, actually -- The Big Rick of KFOG was a lot less interesting than the BR of his Live 105 heyday (before they made him "shut up and play the music").

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #701 on: February 19, 2011, 10:47:18 PM »

OMG -- I didn't notice it was our own R-348! And he has a point, actually -- The Big Rick of KFOG was a lot less interesting than the BR of his Live 105 heyday (before they made him "shut up and play the music").
funny, I really didn't like the Big Rick of Live 105, liked him a lot better at KFOG.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 20, 2011, 12:28:01 AM »

lol

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: February 20, 2011, 04:57:28 PM »
The Bone was giving away Prince tix this afternoon. And, um, how often does the Bone actually PLAY Prince??

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 21, 2011, 12:02:51 AM »
The Bone was giving away Prince tix this afternoon. And, um, how often does the Bone actually PLAY Prince??
Never?
Sharks bleed teal.