Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456231 times)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #675 on: January 24, 2011, 06:48:05 PM »
Tried to tune into KFOX with the 3 radios around the house and nada.  Sheesh.  Listening online now and heard Big Rick pipe in here and there.  I dunno.  I guess I'm not good with change or something.   ::)

I'm pulling in the 102.1 signal very well. Caught the tail end of The Who's Bargain, now they're playing Def Leppard Pour Some Sugar On Me.  I was going to say ho-hum... but then I espied THIS on their FB page:

98.5 KFOX Big Rick is on the air! All of you have a shot at front Row tickets to see Rush on June 26th at the Sleep Train Pavilion at Concord! Be listening Friday.

GOD, I LOVE THIS STATION!   (KUSF Who?)
I heard him say he had front row Rush tickets and thought of you, TC!   :)

Can't seem to get 102.1 at all.  It's just as well.  I wasn't feeling KFOX when I gave them a whirl online today and BRS doesn't seem like a good fit there, IMO.  With KFOG, he at least got to play something contemporary - which is what I associate him with since the Quake/LIVE 105 days.  Never did get to hear him on KUSF.  I think I was listening to KFRC back then.  I was like, 10.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 24, 2011, 06:48:50 PM »
98.5 KFOX Big Rick is on the air! All of you have a shot at front Row tickets to see Rush on June 26th at the Sleep Train Pavilion

It'll *really* be a sleep train pavilion if Rush plays there ;)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 24, 2011, 08:58:44 PM »
98.5 KFOX Big Rick is on the air! All of you have a shot at front Row tickets to see Rush on June 26th at the Sleep Train Pavilion

It'll *really* be a sleep train pavilion if Rush plays there ;)
I thought I heard it was a Rush tribute band at Shoreline. I changed the channel quickly.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 24, 2011, 10:04:01 PM »
Tried to tune into KFOX with the 3 radios around the house and nada.  Sheesh.  Listening online now and heard Big Rick pipe in here and there.  I dunno.  I guess I'm not good with change or something.   ::)

I'm pulling in the 102.1 signal very well. Caught the tail end of The Who's Bargain, now they're playing Def Leppard Pour Some Sugar On Me.  I was going to say ho-hum... but then I espied THIS on their FB page:

98.5 KFOX Big Rick is on the air! All of you have a shot at front Row tickets to see Rush on June 26th at the Sleep Train Pavilion at Concord! Be listening Friday.

GOD, I LOVE THIS STATION!   (KUSF Who?)
I heard him say he had front row Rush tickets and thought of you, TC!   :)

Can't seem to get 102.1 at all.  It's just as well.  I wasn't feeling KFOX when I gave them a whirl online today and BRS doesn't seem like a good fit there, IMO.  With KFOG, he at least got to play something contemporary - which is what I associate him with since the Quake/LIVE 105 days.  Never did get to hear him on KUSF.  I think I was listening to KFRC back then.  I was like, 10.

So enough about Big Rick--it's like he's dead to me. ;) But has KFOG got anyone taking over afternoon drive? No new faces on the staff page, just the six remaining stalwarts, four of whom comprise the Morning Show, and one is the weekend/vacay fill-in. Doesn't bode well for the future of live announcers on radio, I tellya.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 25, 2011, 08:07:55 AM »
So enough about Big Rick--it's like he's dead to me. ;) But has KFOG got anyone taking over afternoon drive? No new faces on the staff page, just the six remaining stalwarts, four of whom comprise the Morning Show, and one is the weekend/vacay fill-in. Doesn't bode well for the future of live announcers on radio, I tellya.

someone said there's a new male voice in the evenings but I haven't heard him yet. But hey, that's how Webster started at KFOG (doing part-time fill-ins), so ya never know.

I was thinking back to when BRS started at KFOG, as a replacement for Grappone. Rick had been off-the-air for a year or more, after leaving Live 105. And it was a big deal that KFOG landed him for his big comeback. But there are no "names" that I can think of lurking in the shadows now.

It's gonna be an interesting year -- no *way* SF needs THREE Classic Rock stations plus a classics-heavy Triple-A (KFOG). Something's gotta give. The Band or The Bone most likely to change in some way, methinks. (Entercom apparently has money to spend promoting K-Fox and they wouldn't've hired BRS if they didn't plan a big push.)

BTW, someone on radio-info said "Yesterday [BRS] almost slipped and said KFOG a few times, but if you start to say KFOG, its easy to correct yourself on K-Fox"  LOL!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 09:04:03 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: January 25, 2011, 09:38:10 AM »
I've had Greg Kihn in my ear this morning, listening for that Rush song so I can be caller #10. 

Some lame humor, not as bad as The Bone.  He gave Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser props for his guitar playing and compositional style in BÖC, and compared that with the typical three-chord structures of "English bands."  played a clip from Bad Company's Paul Rodgers and then a nice segue into Can't Get Enough.  Yeah, those English really have a monopoly on three chords.  We Americans are so advanced when it comes to writing rock songs.

Speaking of Monopoly, earlier he said "Even the Commies play it!  Like in Poland.  You know I'm Polish, right?  So in Poland, you don't buy Railroads or Utilities, you buy TOILET PAPER and Food..!  Guffaw!"

egads.

BANTER UPDATE:
Oh, this just in!  Tom, the guy after Greg, asks "What do you think about the Superbowl? who do you like, think it matters?" 

After a slight pause, Greg weighs in.  "I think it DOES matter.  I like Pittsburgh."

Tom, "This is the first Superbowl where neither team has cheerleaders...! and your team, the Baltimore Ravens, has MALE cheerleaders!"

Zing!  it's like being at the Algonquin Round Table!

The biggest winners in this radio shakeup are Lamont and Tonelli, because suddenly they no longer seem as sophomoric and inane.   (ok, that might be a stretch.)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:43:30 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 31, 2011, 11:11:54 AM »
Black Keys were on Fresh Air this AM.  They've licensed many songs in commercials, and Terri asked them, "Do you get grief for that?" 

They replied, "lots of 17 year old boys on Facebook don't seem to like it... but bands that *I* like have licensed songs and it didn't make me lose respect for them. This was before we even started the Black Keys."

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 01, 2011, 12:23:33 PM »
From the "Save KUSF" folks on FB, regarding their rally:

"Please don't bring Anti-classical music signs. That's not the image we'd like to give. Remember, we had 8 hours of classical programming at KUSF plus the Met Opera. Those programs had thousands of listeners who all want KUSF to be back on the air.
So no 'Mozart my ass' signs please. It's not good to look as though we hate classical music, we just want our radio back. With all its shows."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 01, 2011, 08:53:15 PM »
It's gonna be an interesting year -- no *way* SF needs THREE Classic Rock stations plus a classics-heavy Triple-A (KFOG). Something's gotta give. The Band or The Bone most likely to change in some way, methinks. (Entercom apparently has money to spend promoting K-Fox and they wouldn't've hired BRS if they didn't plan a big push.)

And sure enuf -- I saw K-Fox's new TV commercial tonite, blasting that Classic Rock cliche "We Will Rock You" as it trumpets their artists ("Steve Miller! Boston!") and their deejay lineup ("Greg Kihn mornings! Tim Jeffries midday! Big Rick afternoons!"). So they're obviously planning to be aggressive.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 02, 2011, 10:21:35 AM »
From the "Save KUSF" folks on FB, regarding their rally:

"Please don't bring Anti-classical music signs. That's not the image we'd like to give. Remember, we had 8 hours of classical programming at KUSF plus the Met Opera. Those programs had thousands of listeners who all want KUSF to be back on the air.
So no 'Mozart my ass' signs please. It's not good to look as though we hate classical music, we just want our radio back. With all its shows."

yes, lots of folks are unclear on the concept.  The "Save KUSF" online petition I signed -- do these really work? -- had a commenter who said "SF doesn't need another classical music station!"
~CPL593H~

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: February 05, 2011, 01:42:11 PM »
BFT's article about the recent shakeup in SF radio:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/02/04/PK241HEINF.DTL

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: February 06, 2011, 10:12:44 AM »
BFT's article about the recent shakeup in SF radio:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/02/04/PK241HEINF.DTL

one commenter, called ' davelivesagain'  says

KFUX really, really sucks. It's sad to see one of the better Bay Area DJs from the last couple of decades, Big Rick, lowering himself to their level. The good news for SF radio types is, it's gonna go down the toilet like "The Bone".

DaveLivesAgain?   sounds like a morey fan -- or maybe himself!  ha!
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: February 13, 2011, 06:44:56 PM »

And sure enuf -- I saw K-Fox's new TV commercial tonite, blasting that Classic Rock cliche "We Will Rock You" as it trumpets their artists ("Steve Miller! Boston!") and their deejay lineup ("Greg Kihn mornings! Tim Jeffries midday! Big Rick afternoons!"). So they're obviously planning to be aggressive.

And the Band is now running their (rather generic) TV commercial using "Won't Get Fooled Again". Unlike the K-Fox spot, it just has a little logo for The Band in the bottom right of the screen; looks like something produced on the cheap for use by multiple radio stations in different cities.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: February 14, 2011, 09:40:55 PM »
I think The Band is behind a current survey:
We have an online music study coming up.

Here are the particulars:

Who: Adults 40-52 years old who listen to the radio for music.  You must be able to listen to music clips from a computer.

When:  You can do it when you like. You don't have to do it all at once.  You should finish no later than next Monday.

Where: Anywhere you have decent internet access and can focus on listening to music.

Why: It will be interesting, and you'll be paid $60

How long: It'll take 75 minutes.  (Our client swore it's really 75 minutes.)  It's in several segments so you don't have to do the whole thing at once.

Click here if interested:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EckerRadioFeb2011

If the link doesn't cooperate, please cut-and-paste the address above into your browser.

We will call back those who seem like a likely fit for this study to ask a few more questions.

Thanks very much!
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: February 14, 2011, 09:45:41 PM »
The Band also offering $1000 three times a day to caller 103. Way to buy listeners. Gotta say I do prefer the Band over KUFX. KUFX is only good to me for Sharks broadcasts.
Sharks bleed teal.