Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456337 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #510 on: July 31, 2009, 10:00:44 AM »
So I'm driving around this afternoon, from my house up to El Cerrito to meet my in-laws for lunch then out to Antioch and back to Dublin.  Almost 90 miles of flipping channels, and spent a fair amount of time on 103.7 The Band.  Their deejays don't do all that much talking but they are there if you listen long enough.  Until now I'd only heard male deejays, but this afternoon there was a female voice and it sounded very familiar.  She mentioned something like "Did you see this in the Chronicle..." to do with foods, and I didn't catch all of it, but she listed several 'interesting' flavor combinations including balsamic caramel, to which she said,"I don't know about that one..."  and suddenly it hit me.

It was Ginger!

Whoa! I believe KBCO was a Bonneville station--do they own the Band as well? The miracle of voice-tracking...

Yes! I happened to tune past there a week or 2 ago in the evening and heard a female voice that was familiar but that I could not place. But damn, it was her!

And both stations are Cheap Channel, so it makes sense.

per some radio websites I was browsing...  it takes a jock roughly 45 minutes to record the voicetracks for a 6-hour "air shift" on another station. For which the going rate is $6,000 a year above what they're already making at their home station. Compared to the $40G (and up) that Cheap Channel would pay a live-and-in-person deejay, that's a big savings for a company, multiplied by hundreds of air shifts around the country. More power to Ginger, who deserves all the $$$ she can get,  but it totally sucks, quality-radio-wise.  And as has been pointed out elsewhere, when EVERY station in Iowa is airing voice-tracked shows, what happens during a flood or a tornado warning? Who's there to do the bulletin?

I suspect that some of the stations here in the Portland area are using voice-tracked jocks, or at least are broadcasting from a remote studio during drive time and other times when the situation requires a real-time commentary.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 04, 2009, 09:17:17 PM »
Great quote from Rich Appel's "Hz so Good" newsletter, part of a list of things jocks do wrong that warmed this chart geek's heart:

"A lot of jocks still can’t read Whitburn.  To summarize: 1) The date listed is when a song entered the chart, NOT when it peaked, so it’s not “from June 1969”; 2) The “peak” is what chart position the song reached during its run, NOT what number it was for the year; and 3) “wks” refers to how many weeks the song spent on the chart, NOT how many weeks it spent at the peak shown. I still hear these mistakes made when listening to oldies stations"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 11, 2009, 07:57:27 PM »
Ginger for sure, her pic is on the Band site

Def. not live and local. Is she still in Boulder doing live shows?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 08:56:44 AM by RGMike »
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 11, 2009, 08:18:57 PM »
103.7 the Band with our Ginger is playing a most pleasing set list right now.

Rolling Stones - Angie               
Men At Work - Down Under          
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band - Mainstreet             
Genesis - No Reply At All          
Doobie Brothers - Jesus Is Just Alright             
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here          
Fleetwood Mac - Gold Dust Woman          
Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion             
Jackson Browne - Running On Empty          
Grand Funk Railroad - We're An American Band
Sir Paul/Wings - Maybe I'm Amazed
The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 11, 2009, 09:13:33 PM »

Def. not live and local. Is she still in Boulder doing live shows?

Yup.  And the Band's afternoon guy is in San Diego. Cheap Channel strikes again.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 18, 2009, 08:54:40 AM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 04, 2009, 10:55:33 AM »
For you young'uns: GenX Radio!

http://www.genxlouisville.com/iplaylist/playlist.html?last10=1

it's another player that I can't listen to due to Flash issues, but this is a station in Louisville, and it's a "Jack"-like format concentrating on top 40 hits of the late '80s and '90s.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 05, 2009, 08:35:59 PM »

Somebody at the radio-info.com SF message board was complaining that Ginger mispronounced "Marin" as "MARE-in". Ooops.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 05, 2009, 09:40:47 PM »

Somebody at the radio-info.com SF message board was complaining that Ginger mispronounced "Marin" as "MARE-in". Ooops.

As in Cheech? Understandable, but still wrong.

We should offer her classes in Northern CA nomenclature. Like the town in the E. Bay is pronounced "conquered," not Con-chord. Also places like Guerneville, Sebastopol, Milpitas, and so forth. Also Gough St. The list could go on...
Let's get right to it.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 10, 2009, 01:45:01 PM »
It's official: Energy 92.7 will be blown up in one hour and 15 minutes.  :'( :'( :'(

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 10, 2009, 01:48:48 PM »
It's official: Energy 92.7 will be blown up in one hour and 15 minutes.  :'( :'( :'(

sad -- if ya can't make money doing a dance format in SF...

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 10, 2009, 02:03:49 PM »

it's another player that I can't listen to due to Flash issues, but this is a station in Louisville, and it's a "Jack"-like format concentrating on top 40 hits of the late '80s and '90s.

Ooh... I'm looking through their playlist at yes.com & mostly typical Hot AC fodder but LOL at some of these songs.  Corona "Rhythm of the Night," Marky Mark "Good Vibrations," Snoop Dogg "Gin & Juice."  Haha, I'd totally listen to that.  You can't hear some of these anywhere these days.

It looks like mostly 90s with the occasional 80s thrown in.  80s formats seem to have died years back but I was wondering how long it would take before 90s formats started popping up.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 10, 2009, 02:53:08 PM »
and in other local radio news, KNEW dropped The Savage Weiner's show today.  He'll no doubt end up back at KSFO shortly.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 10, 2009, 03:18:22 PM »

Ooh... I'm looking through their playlist at yes.com & mostly typical Hot AC fodder but LOL at some of these songs.  Corona "Rhythm of the Night," Marky Mark "Good Vibrations," Snoop Dogg "Gin & Juice."  Haha, I'd totally listen to that.  You can't hear some of these anywhere these days.

It looks like mostly 90s with the occasional 80s thrown in.  80s formats seem to have died years back but I was wondering how long it would take before 90s formats started popping up.

I'd listen to a '90s alt-rock / modern rock station.  Not sure about '90s dance, though - my interest there is limited to New Jack Swing and Deee-Lite.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 11, 2009, 08:46:41 AM »
quite a week for local radio action:  now KSJO and KCNL are switching frequencies...

http://www.examiner.com/x-448-SF-Radio-Examiner~y2009m9d10-San-Joses-KSJO-923-and-KCNL-1049-to-switch-formats