Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456241 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #496 on: July 14, 2009, 11:51:19 AM »
The NY Times sells classical WQXR -- it will move up the dial but remain a classical station.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/15/arts/music/15radio.html?_r=1&hp

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 20, 2009, 09:00:03 AM »
The Bone royally screwed up Little Steven's show last nite. They started it at 8:40, and they played the first segment, then the 3rd segment, then a segment from last week's show, then segs 4 and 5. Never did hear segment 2.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 26, 2009, 11:09:32 PM »
So I'm driving around this afternoon, from my house up to El Cerrito to meet my in-laws for lunch then out to Antioch and back to Dublin.  Almost 90 miles of flipping channels, and spent a fair amount of time on 103.7 The Band.  Their deejays don't do all that much talking but they are there if you listen long enough.  Until now I'd only heard male deejays, but this afternoon there was a female voice and it sounded very familiar.  She mentioned something like "Did you see this in the Chronicle..." to do with foods, and I didn't catch all of it, but she listed several 'interesting' flavor combinations including balsamic caramel, to which she said,"I don't know about that one..."  and suddenly it hit me.

It was Ginger!

The next time around she in fact ID'd herself as Ginger & so now I'm wondering if she's moved to SF, or what.  And I know that the old KKSF 103.7 mostly had programming including voice talent from Chicago, so I kinda doubted that she necessarily had to be here now.  And checking the KBCO website she's still there (although TANC, she blogs about having been to Napa & Sonoma ealrier this month on vacation).

So I'm real curious how this works, but it sure was cool hearing her on the radio all afternoon.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 26, 2009, 11:56:42 PM »
So I'm driving around this afternoon, from my house up to El Cerrito to meet my in-laws for lunch then out to Antioch and back to Dublin.  Almost 90 miles of flipping channels, and spent a fair amount of time on 103.7 The Band.  Their deejays don't do all that much talking but they are there if you listen long enough.  Until now I'd only heard male deejays, but this afternoon there was a female voice and it sounded very familiar.  She mentioned something like "Did you see this in the Chronicle..." to do with foods, and I didn't catch all of it, but she listed several 'interesting' flavor combinations including balsamic caramel, to which she said,"I don't know about that one..."  and suddenly it hit me.

It was Ginger!

The next time around she in fact ID'd herself as Ginger & so now I'm wondering if she's moved to SF, or what.  And I know that the old KKSF 103.7 mostly had programming including voice talent from Chicago, so I kinda doubted that she necessarily had to be here now.  And checking the KBCO website she's still there (although TANC, she blogs about having been to Napa & Sonoma ealrier this month on vacation).

So I'm real curious how this works, but it sure was cool hearing her on the radio all afternoon.

Whoa! I believe KBCO was a Bonneville station--do they own the Band as well? The miracle of voice-tracking...
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 27, 2009, 12:22:39 AM »
Ben F-T talks about Casey Kasem's retirement and his bay area connection.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/07/26/PK5018OLBS.DTL

And if you scroll down, in the graf on Tony Salvadore's dismissal from KNBR/KFOG, mention is made of Dave's retirement and the bungled effort to having him continue on 10@10 that fell apart due to cash considerations.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 27, 2009, 07:36:55 AM »

It was Ginger!

Whoa! I believe KBCO was a Bonneville station--do they own the Band as well? The miracle of voice-tracking...

Yes! I happened to tune past there a week or 2 ago in the evening and heard a female voice that was familiar but that I could not place. But damn, it was her!

And both stations are Cheap Channel, so it makes sense.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 07:39:03 AM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 27, 2009, 08:03:53 AM »
Ben F-T talks about Casey Kasem's retirement and his bay area connection.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/07/26/PK5018OLBS.DTL

And if you scroll down, in the graf on Tony Salvadore's dismissal from KNBR/KFOG, mention is made of Dave's retirement and the bungled effort to having him continue on 10@10 that fell apart due to cash considerations.

This note in the comments made me smile:

Casey Kasem lived on my street in the '60s in Los Angeles when he was with KRLA. For Halloween, he handed out 45rpm records to trick-or-treaters.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article/comments/view?f=/c/a/2009/07/24/PK5018OLBS.DTL#ixzz0MTLd6AHB
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 27, 2009, 09:04:33 AM »
Just read Ginger's blog post about her visit to wine country; I noticed that her bio on the 'BCO website still mentions 10@10!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 28, 2009, 09:58:21 AM »
103.7 The Band hires a PD -- Dave Logan, who programmed KFOG back in the day.

http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n19530

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 28, 2009, 10:12:56 AM »
103.7 The Band hires a PD -- Dave Logan, who programmed KFOG back in the day.

http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n19530

I think he was the one who hired Dave Morey when KFOG was getting ready to do the flip from beautiful music to rock, no?
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 28, 2009, 12:01:15 PM »
I heard Ginger too but didn't imagine it was our Colorado Ginger.

I work with a girl named Ginger and every time I say "Ginger" I can't help but think Wasabi.
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 29, 2009, 12:54:53 AM »
I heard Ginger too but didn't imagine it was our Colorado Ginger.

I work with a girl named Ginger and every time I say "Ginger" I can't help but think Wasabi.

Every time I hear "Ginger" I think of Terry Gilliam at the 2:27 mark of my favorite Monty Python sketch.

Sorry.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 29, 2009, 07:38:58 AM »
The Band's afternoon voice is Bryan Schock, who quit NY's WRXP last year for "personal reasons" and then turned up earlier this year on San Diego's KGB.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 31, 2009, 09:50:25 AM »

It was Ginger!

Yes! I happened to tune past there a week or 2 ago in the evening and heard a female voice that was familiar but that I could not place. But damn, it was her!

And both stations are Cheap Channel, so it makes sense.

per some radio websites I was browsing...  it takes a jock roughly 45 minutes to record the voicetracks for a 6-hour "air shift" on another station. For which the going rate is $6,000 a year above what they're already making at their home station. Compared to the $40G (and up) that Cheap Channel would pay a live-and-in-person deejay, that's a big savings for a company, multiplied by hundreds of air shifts around the country. More power to Ginger, who deserves all the $$$ she can get,  but it totally sucks, quality-radio-wise.  And as has been pointed out elsewhere, when EVERY station in Iowa is airing voice-tracked shows, what happens during a flood or a tornado warning? Who's there to do the bulletin?