Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 461468 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #300 on: May 17, 2007, 09:38:53 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "RGMike"
"Free-FM" is DEAD!!! Long live... KFRC???

Yes, KFRC is back only now they're at 106.9, replacing the dreaful, ill-fated "Free FM" talk format that never took off.  Oldies are back in SF as of 4pm today, or so I'm told.

Oldsters from Rossmoor to Daly City are rejoicing as we speak.

Well... sorta.

I've been listening for a while this evening. They're jockless at the moment, and it's more like the late semi-lamented MAX than the legendary KFRC. "The Magical Mystery Tour thru the KFRC Vault of Classic Hits" is what they're calling it -- they're going thru the alphabet, they're playing songs that begin with C as I write, not in strict alphabetical order, but bouncing around within the letter.

The Chain
Crazy on You
Carry on my Wayward Son
Couldn't Get it Right
Crocodile Rock
Cisco Kid
Can't Get Enuf of Your Love (Barry White, not BadCo)

etc...  Everything's been from the '70s so far -- but wait, the letter "D" leads off with Huey, "Do You Believe in Love?". So there's '80s too.

ETA: and Huey was followed by the Beatles "Day in the Life", so there's at least lip service being paid to '60s.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #301 on: May 24, 2007, 12:24:43 PM »
CBS Radio's "Free-FM" experiment is truly dead -- in addition to our local affiliate's switch to the "new KFRC" last week,  the NYC flagship of Free FM is reverting to its former incarnation as WXRK, "K-Rock" today.  The next time somebody says they think young-male-oriented talk can succeed on FM ... slap them.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #302 on: July 05, 2007, 04:10:34 PM »
Gaz will be interested to know that NYC's  CBS-FM is rumored to be switching back to Oldies, perhaps as soon as this weekend.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #303 on: July 05, 2007, 10:08:33 PM »
Gaz will be interested to know that NYC's  CBS-FM is rumored to be switching back to Oldies, perhaps as soon as this weekend.

Would they bring Micky Dolenz back for the morning shift?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #304 on: July 06, 2007, 07:32:16 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Would they bring Micky Dolenz back for the morning shift?

I seriously doubt it -- it will undoubtedly be closer to "Classic Hits" than pure Oldies, I'd be surprised if any of the old jocks came back, except maybe for weekend specialty shows.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
KZAP to KPIG
« Reply #305 on: July 06, 2007, 05:51:21 PM »
I presume this has been mentioned here, but can't find the thread.  I imagine Urth would have some comments, knowing KZAP like he did.

Short story for those who don't know:  KPIG is now also broadcasting on KZAP/Chico.  It makes for pretty funny weather news, like this AM, when I heard something like "51 in SLO, 52 in Santa Cruz, 53 in San Francisco, and 80 in Chico!"
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KZAP to KPIG
« Reply #306 on: July 06, 2007, 09:43:55 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
I presume this has been mentioned here, but can't find the thread.  I imagine Urth would have some comments, knowing KZAP like he did.

Short story for those who don't know:  KPIG is now also broadcasting on KZAP/Chico.  It makes for pretty funny weather news, like this AM, when I heard something like "51 in SLO, 52 in Santa Cruz, 53 in San Francisco, and 80 in Chico!"

Apparently the KZAP call letters migrated to Chico and most recently belonged to a Top 40/Dance station.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #307 on: July 16, 2007, 12:31:48 PM »
Seems like only yesterday that we discovered the KINK version of 10@10 and noted that John Grappone was working there. Now someone has posted on the radio-info.com SF message board and asked if anybody knows where Grappone is because he's no longer at KINK (and a check of KINK's website confirms this).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #308 on: July 23, 2007, 01:31:03 PM »
The fact that Clear Channel is "going private" as a company has gotten a lot of coverage recently, but now Cumulus (owners of KFOG, KNBR & The Bone, locally) is doing the same. Hrm.

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2007/07/23/cumulus0724.html

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #309 on: July 26, 2007, 08:44:54 AM »
This is kind of amazing -- someone has compiled a list of all the different songs CBS-FM has played in the 2 weeks since they switched back to "classic hits" (dare not call 'em oldies).

http://www.freewebs.com/cbsplaylist/

Over 800 songs, which is unheard-of for a station of this type.  We can only hope the revived KFRC is half as interesting, playlist-wise.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #310 on: August 02, 2007, 03:53:22 PM »
I just found this out, dunno when it happened, but KKSF dropped Whoopi Goldberg's struggling syndicated morning show in favor of jazz legend Ramsey Lewis.

http://www.kksf.com/pages/dj_ramseylewis.html

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #311 on: August 24, 2007, 09:29:02 PM »
960 KQKE "The Quake" is going "Green"...

Progressive talk radio station, KQKE-AM, will evolve into “Green 960” (KKGN-AM) starting August 27th.   Program Director, Bob Agnew, says, “This is a natural evolution for the station. We are in the most environmentally-conscientious market in the country, and our listeners have let us know the depth of their concern and their desire to be part of the solution. 'Green 960' will entertain, educate, and motivate people on the need to recycle, sustain, preserve, and protect this place we call Mother Earth.”

In support of its new focus, Green 960 will debut “Green Seed Radio”, the first daily prime time radio program dedicated to environmental news and issues.  Produced in conjunction with the Green Building Exchange, the show will feature news and information focused on green technology, green business, environmental tips and education, interview segments and listener interaction.  The program will be featured daily on Green 960 from 3-4pm.  

reen 960 will also expand the Progressive News Hour to two hours (4p-6p) and replace some commercial breaks with a daily series of three-minute “green vignettes”, which will profile leaders and businesses at the forefront of the green movement.

Here's the New Line-Up

3a - 6a; Bill Press
6a - 9a; Stephanie Miller
9a - 12n; Thom Hartmann*
12n - 3p; Ed Schultz
3p - 4p; Green Seed Radio*
4p - 6p; Progressive News with John Scott*
6p - 9p; Randi Rhodes*
9p - 11p; Rachel Maddow*
11p - 2a; Mike Malloy
2a - 3a; Jon Elliot

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
KKGN
« Reply #312 on: August 24, 2007, 10:31:32 PM »
6p - 9p; Randi Rhodes

well, I'm glad to see Randi in a more listenable time slot.  They had shifted her all the way to 9PM lately!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KKGN
« Reply #313 on: August 25, 2007, 11:02:36 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
6p - 9p; Randi Rhodes

well, I'm glad to see Randi in a more listenable time slot.  They had shifted her all the way to 9PM lately!

Rachel Maddow is really good in her frequent appearances on Keith Olbermann's show.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #314 on: September 06, 2007, 10:06:12 PM »
I'm way late on this... I actually meant to ask about it, since I was in NY for Pride Weekend... but according to a post today on radio-info.com's SF board, Live 105 didn't do their annual K-GAY thing this year. If that's true, it's kinda sad.