Author Topic: Gazoo's Non-Three-Songs Trivia  (Read 58016 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Gazoo's Non-Three-Songs Trivia
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 02:35:13 PM »
I also know half of #1, along with only #4 & #12.  At first I thought #18 was the Steve Miller Band, but the dates don't work out.

One half of #1 is pretty easy (as easy as one-two-three, do-re-mi, etc.), but is the other half of #1 The Commodores' "Night Shift?"

eta:  Nope, I just checked -- and that song mentions Marvin (Gaye) and Jackie (Wilson).

which itself would be half the answer to "what two '80s hits mention Marvin by name?"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
I also know half of #1, along with only #4 & #12.  At first I thought #18 was the Steve Miller Band, but the dates don't work out.

One half of #1 is pretty easy (as easy as one-two-three, do-re-mi, etc.), but is the other half of #1 The Commodores' "Night Shift?"

eta:  Nope, I just checked -- and that song mentions Marvin (Gaye) and Jackie (Wilson).

which itself would be half the answer to "what two '80s hits mention Marvin by name?"

The answer to THAT is also the answer to Gaz's orig question.
~CPL593H~

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 02:57:58 PM »

the other half being spandau ballet's "true".

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 02:58:57 PM »

Nice way to beat around the bush on ABC.  I spent at least half a minute trying to get the reference (that's either a complement to both of us - if it takes me longer than 5 secs it usually means it's a stumper - or a clear sign that I'm losing my mind)
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 03:06:43 PM »

OK, now I'm confused -- I'm thinking of "True", as the princess says above. But that song doesn't mention Smokey.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 03:11:18 PM »

OK, now I'm confused -- I'm thinking of "True", as the princess says above. But that song doesn't mention Smokey.

yeah, i'm confused, too! i thought it was just the doobie.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 03:12:52 PM »

the other half being spandau ballet's "true".

ummm, no. Smokey's not in that one.  And I don't know if "Genius Of Love" attained the status of a hit, but it contained:

No
One
Ca-a-a-a-n sing
Quite like Smokey
Smokey Ro-BIN-son

Is that the other half?

In the late 70's there was also the following from Ian Dury:

Health service glasses
Gigolos and brassies
Round or skinny bottoms
(Reasons to be cheerful - part 3)
Take your mum to Paris
Lighting up the chalice
Wee Willy Harris
Bantu Stephen Biko
Listening to Rico
Harpo, Groucho, Chico
Cheddar cheese and pickle
The Vincent motorsickle
Slap and tickle
Woody Allen, Dali
Dimitri and Pasquale
Balabalabala and Volare
Something nice to study
Phoning up a buddy
Being in my nuddy
Saying hokey-dokey
Singalonga Smokey
Coming out of chokey
John Coltrane's soprano
Adi Celentano
Bonar Colleano

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 03:18:05 PM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 03:19:41 PM »

ABC's "When Smokey Sings" also mentions Marvin:

Luther croons
Sly's the original originator
James screams
Marvin was the only innovator
But nothing can compare
Nothing can compare
When Smokey sings
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 03:20:47 PM »

Luther croons
James screams
But nothing can compare
Nothing can compare
When Smokey sings

damn -- save that for a My 3 Songs a year from now.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 03:25:32 PM »

Luther croons
James screams
But nothing can compare
Nothing can compare
When Smokey sings

DU-U-UDE!!!  You are getting old & losing your memory.  I did exactly that M3S a couple years ago, and then got to chastise you for not getting the ABC component despite all the griping that you & I had collectively done over the fact that Dave has never played that song.  (follow?)

In other words I thought it was a lob pass to you & you failed to dunk it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 03:27:07 PM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 03:26:53 PM »

Luther croons
James screams
But nothing can compare
Nothing can compare
When Smokey sings

DU-U-UDE!!!  You are getting old & losing your memory.  I did exactly that M3S a couple years ago, and then got to chastise you for not getting the ABC component despite the griping that you & I had collectively done over the fact that Dave has never played that song.  (follow?)

Imagine if I smoked pot!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 03:45:47 PM »
2. Which '50s recording star was instrumental in creating USA for Africa?
pat boone

3. What dance was inspired by TV's Ed Sullivan?  (I incorrectly guessed "The Freddie.")

the jerk

8. Who won the CMA's male vocalist of the year award each year from 1991 through 1995?

garth brooks

12. Who was the very first performing act on MTV Unplugged?  (I incorrectly guessed the Alarm.)

aerosmith

15. Who graduated from Columbia after scoring a couple dozen hit singles?

michael jackson

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 04:46:10 PM »
I was all set to say Garth for #8, and the Princess beat me to it. As for the Unplugged question (12?), was it Paul McCartney?
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 05:06:58 PM »
I was all set to say Garth for #8, and the Princess beat me to it. As for the Unplugged question (12?), was it Paul McCartney?

I just remembered (this has been bugging me all DAY) it was Squeeze.  But (iirc) Macca was the 1st to do a whole album of just Unplugged stuff, & the subsequent success of that album was credited for ensuring the longevity of the show.

Footnote (  ;) ) if Jacko graduated from Columbia, I'll eat my smelly socks.  (let's assume that was a POC joke).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 05:29:21 PM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 06:29:33 PM »
The Unplugged was indeed Squeeze.  Nice catch, Mark.

Smokey's two hits were ABC's "When Smokey Sings" and Tom Tom Club's "Genius of Love" - I never paid close enough attention to the lyrics to notice.  As for Marvin, yup, we're up to 3 '80s hits (would be 4 if Diana Ross's "Missing You" had mentioned him by name).

And shocker - the CMA answer isn't Garth Brooks!  That had been my guess too.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”