Author Topic: Gazoo's Non-Three-Songs Trivia  (Read 58247 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Gazoo's Non-Three-Songs Trivia
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2009, 01:27:49 PM »
Today's TV Trivia question on WLNG: "on the sitcom, who actually owned WKRP in Cincinnati?"

Mr. Carlson's mother, yes?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2009, 01:36:08 PM »
Today's TV Trivia question on WLNG: "on the sitcom, who actually owned WKRP in Cincinnati?"

Mr. Carlson's mother, yes?

DINGDINGDING!  Many many callers to 'LNG incorrectly said "Mr Carlson".  Not as bad as the Foghead the other day who said "Don't Fear the Reaper" was by Deep Purple, but still...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2009, 10:07:58 AM »
Something I just became aware of yesterday: Who was the first artist to chart with a song from musical Hair? (It's not who you think!)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2009, 11:06:54 AM »
Something I just became aware of yesterday: Who was the first artist to chart with a song from musical Hair? (It's not who you think!)

Did Jennifer Warnes chart with her stage version of "Easy to Be Hard"?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2009, 11:34:41 AM »

Did Jennifer Warnes chart with her stage version of "Easy to Be Hard"?

nope.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2009, 03:02:14 PM »

Melba Moore?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2009, 03:15:13 PM »

Melba Moore?

Thanks for reminding me I never answered this one!

Carla Thomas charted (but didn't make the Top 40) with "Where Do I Go?" in 1968, nearly a year before the 5-D hit with "Aquarius", which opened the floodgates for "Good Morning Starshine", "Hair", and "Easy To Be Hard" in the Summer of '69 (wow -- all that great music and Bryan Adams still grew up to suck!).  Also that summer, The Happenings also recorded "Where Do I Go?" (in a rather odd medley with "Hare Krishna") in an attempt at a comeback, but the record flopped. And sadly, Nina Simone's "Ain't Got No/I Got Life" never did anything in the US, but reached #2 in the UK
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 03:16:46 PM by RGMike »

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2009, 03:18:36 PM »
(wow -- all that great music and Bryan Adams still grew up to suck!).

"Blame Canada!"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2009, 03:30:43 PM »
(wow -- all that great music and Bryan Adams still grew up to suck!).

"Blame Canada!"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2009, 12:22:17 PM »
a Facebook friend (and old ABC co-worker) posted this today:

"what artist went to #1 in both the US and UK with their first hit... and never charted again in either country?"

I got it right; he said I was the first person who ever has, even tho' it's been his go-to stumper question for years and years.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2009, 12:34:31 PM »

"what artist went to #1 in both the US and UK with their first hit... and never charted again in either country?"

I got it right; he said I was the first person who ever has, even tho' it's been his go-to stumper question for years and years.

Susan Boyle?
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2009, 03:49:35 PM »

Susan Boyle?

Bwa ha ha ha!!!

(but my real my guess would be Zager & Evans)
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2009, 03:58:48 PM »

Susan Boyle?

Bwa ha ha ha!!!

DING DING DING! You're now the 2nd person to ever get it right. And find their follow-up single "Mr. Turnkey" on YouTube -- how a single on a major label (RCA), following up a song that was #1 for 5 or 6 weeks, and getting airplay on huge Top 40 stations like WABC (heard in 20+ states at night) could fail to chart (even for a week) is really a mystery for the ages.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2009, 04:02:58 PM »

Susan Boyle?

Bwa ha ha ha!!!

DING DING DING! You're now the 2nd person to ever get it right. And find their follow-up single "Mr. Turnkey" on YouTube -- how a single on a major label (RCA), following up a song that was #1 for 5 or 6 weeks, and getting airplay on huge Top 40 stations like WABC (heard in 20+ states at night) could fail to chart (even for a week) is really a mystery for the ages.

I gotsta give my props to Gaz, I've heard him say for years that Z&E somehow managed to hit #1 & then never appear in even the Bubbling Under chart after.  I'm sure we both completely agree with your mystery of the ages comment, but honestly I'd never have had a clue but for Gaz.  And even then I was only guessign about the UK quotient.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2009, 05:42:40 PM »
I gotsta give my props to Gaz, I've heard him say for years that Z&E somehow managed to hit #1 & then never appear in even the Bubbling Under chart after.  I'm sure we both completely agree with your mystery of the ages comment, but honestly I'd never have had a clue but for Gaz.  And even then I was only guessign about the UK quotient.

To close this out with some uber-geekiness: Casey Kasem did 2 OHW countdowns in the '70s (or "The Greatest Disappearing Acts of All Time" -- did he think "One Hit Wonder" was copyrighted?) and there are actually 2 artists who logged multiple weeks at #1 and then disappeared. The other was Joan Weber, whose "Let Me Go Lover" was at the top for 4 weeks in early 1955 (a great story; google her). Weber was #1 on Casey's OHW list the first time; Z&E were #1 the 2nd time around. But every song he played was a *TRUE* OHW, a top 40 hit whose artist never hit the Hot 100 again.  Anyway, I remembered that, but had to look up Z&E in the British chart db to confirm that part.