Author Topic: Gazoo's Non-Three-Songs Trivia  (Read 58464 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Gazoo's Non-Three-Songs Trivia
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2010, 03:27:16 PM »
Bob Shannon just mentioned this on 'LNG...

This week in 1969, The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour replaced the Smothers Bros show on CBS. Trivia:

What iconic American product (still available today) was introduced in a commercial on that very first Glen Campbell show?

I lurve trivia, but I am completely stuck. hint?

This iconic product has an equally iconic jingle associated with it, but the jingle didn't appear until 1975.

The Big Mac? (Two all beef patties, special sauce, etc.)

DINGDINGDING!

as I've said for years, the most ridiculous sandwich evah -- is there anyone who doesn't throw the middle piece of bread away?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 03:29:58 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2010, 03:39:08 PM »

This week in 1969, The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour replaced the Smothers Bros show on CBS. Trivia:

What iconic American product (still available today) was introduced in a commercial on that very first Glen Campbell show?

This iconic product has an equally iconic jingle associated with it, but the jingle didn't appear until 1975.

DINGDINGDING!

as I've said for years, the most ridiculous sandwich evah -- is there anyone who doesn't throw the middle piece of bread away?

I worked at McD's one summer.   The Special sauce and Tartar sauce came to us in these tubes tthat fit in regulation caulking guns, and that's how we put that stuff on the buns.  Just like you were applying a squirt of caulk. 

Oh man, I remember too much about that job.  Fascinating expereince in some ways, excruciating and horrible in so many others

everything was accounted for.  anything that fell on the floor was kept, weighed at the end of the night, and noted by the mgr on some tally sheet. 
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2010, 03:53:37 PM »

DINGDINGDING!

I worked at McD's one summer.   The Special sauce and Tartar sauce came to us in these tubes tthat fit in regulation caulking guns, and that's how we put that stuff on the buns.  Just like you were applying a squirt of caulk.  

Oh man, I remember too much about that job.  Fascinating expereince in some ways, excruciating and horrible in so many others

everything was accounted for.  anything that fell on the floor was kept, weighed at the end of the night, and noted by the mgr on some tally sheet.  

Toxic Smell applies sour cream to their Burrito Supremes etc. via the same means. Nutritional value is probably equivalent to caulk, too.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2010, 04:40:30 PM »

I worked at McD's one summer.   The Special sauce and Tartar sauce came to us in these tubes tthat fit in regulation caulking guns, and that's how we put that stuff on the buns.  Just like you were applying a squirt of caulk. 

Oh man, I remember too much about that job.  Fascinating expereince in some ways, excruciating and horrible in so many others

everything was accounted for.  anything that fell on the floor was kept, weighed at the end of the night, and noted by the mgr on some tally sheet. 

I could have written the above myself.  The one I worked at was in a predominatly black neighborhood, and one thing you learn quickly is that you get a lot of requests for the "fish wit' cheese" aka the Filet O' Fish sandwich.  The manager Steve (who was white) had not only graduated from my high school, he had known me from my neighborhood when I was 10-11.

There was this one dude named Tyrone* who was always trying to pick up shifts, because it was apparently his main goal in life to get paid overtime by McDonald's.  The workweek ended on Saturday night, which was on Tyrone's regular schedule, but nearly every week I'd get a call from Steve (who closed on Saturdays) asking me to come in because he was going to cut Tyrone's shift back so he'd only work 39.75 hrs.  Then sometime before we closed Steve would send Ray, the swing manager, next door to the 7-11 to get a couple 6-packs, which would be put in one of those green 5 gal. pickle buckets & buried under ice (about the only thing that didn't get measured out nightly). After the store closed for business we'd go into high gear cleaning up & when we were done Steve would lock up & then join, me, Ray & whichever employee had closed the front (I closed the ktichen) out in the parking lot with the green bucket.  Good times!

*Tyrone was very talkative, could hardly get him to shut up, but if you asked him a question he'd unfailingly reply "I 'on' know" - 'on' being the closest typewritten approximation I can think of for the way he said "don't", it came out like "own".  One time someone told a suggestive joke & Tyrone failed to get it.  Steve asked him, "Are you gay Tyrone?"  and he replied "I 'on' know".
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2010, 09:15:57 PM »
Here's a tough one, but I think it's a good one.  Something I just noticed.

What unusual (and ironic, if one applies a loose definition) Billboard chart activity do Night Ranger and Spice Girls have in common?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2010, 12:28:51 PM »
Here's a tough one, but I think it's a good one.  Something I just noticed.

What unusual (and ironic, if one applies a loose definition) Billboard chart activity do Night Ranger and Spice Girls have in common?

I think Sister Christian was used in a movie (was it Boogie Nights?) several years after its initial release, and maybe that brought it back to the charts?  So I'm guessing the Spice Girls movie (Spice World, IIRC) probably brought the Spice Girls' hit(s) back to the charts, too.
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2010, 09:13:34 PM »
The link was that the final Top 40 hits for both Night Ranger and the Spice Girls were titled "Goodbye."

Night Ranger's was far better, fwiw.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2010, 10:32:23 AM »
The annual M-T Bowl music trivia contest was last night.  Thought I'd try this out on you:

What do these artists have in common, and give the appropriate song title:

Bananarama
Chicago
Gorillaz
Jason Aldean
Johnny Wakelin and the Kinshasa Band
Ray Stevens
Stars on 45
Taylor Swift
Van Morrison
(There was a 10th one, but I can't remember it.)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2010, 05:50:12 PM »
The annual M-T Bowl music trivia contest was last night.  Thought I'd try this out on you:

Bananarama
Chicago
Gorillaz
Jason Aldean
Ray Stevens
Stars on 45
Taylor Swift
Van Morrison

I'm thinking... songs with real-life people in the title?

Bananarama - Robert DeNiro's Waiting
Chicago - Harry Truman
Gorillaz - ??
Jason Aldean - ??
Johnny Wakelin and the Kinshasa Band - Black Superman/Muhammad Ali (they only had one hit, so that was the clue)
Ray Stevens - I Need Your Help Barry Manilow
Stars on 45 - Stars on 45 III (A Tribute To Stevie Wonder) [kind of a lame choice for inclusion here, IMHO]
Taylor Swift - ??
Van Morrison - Jackie Wilson Said

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2010, 07:50:10 AM »

Bananarama
Chicago
Gorillaz
Jason Aldean
Ray Stevens
Stars on 45
Taylor Swift
Van Morrison

I'm thinking... songs with real-life people in the title?

Bananarama - Robert DeNiro's Waiting
Chicago - Harry Truman
Gorillaz - ??
Jason Aldean - ??
Johnny Wakelin and the Kinshasa Band - Black Superman/Muhammad Ali (they only had one hit, so that was the clue)
Ray Stevens - I Need Your Help Barry Manilow
Stars on 45 - Stars on 45 III (A Tribute To Stevie Wonder) [kind of a lame choice for inclusion here, IMHO]
Taylor Swift - ??
Van Morrison - Jackie Wilson Said

Very well played, including catching the tipoff!  The Gorillaz track was "Clint Eastwood" (confusingly, they also had a song called "Dirty Harry," which I guessed at first); the Taylor Swift tune was her debut pop hit, "Tim McGraw"; and the Jason Aldean song, which none of us knew, was "Johnny Cash."

When Ray Stevens came up, I immediately said, "Gitarzan!"  A few people in the crowd said, "Famous people!"  I said, "Tarzan's famous!"

I also had the line of the night (he said immodestly).  Another team got the question, "The Police share what in common with Charlie Chaplin?"  I shouted, in Paul Lynde voice, "They were both better silent."  The whole room erupted.   :D

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2010, 10:26:30 AM »
I also had the line of the night (he said immodestly).  Another team got the question, "The Police share what in common with Charlie Chaplin?"  I shouted, in Paul Lynde voice, "They were both better silent."  The whole room erupted.   :D

LOL!  So what was the answer? both were part British and part American?

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2010, 01:45:53 PM »
The link was that the final Top 40 hits for both Night Ranger and the Spice Girls were titled "Goodbye."

Night Ranger's was far better, fwiw.

Aww, "Holler" never charted on Billboard?  I know it made R&R/AT40 for a few weeks.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2010, 06:07:47 PM »

LOL!  So what was the answer? both were part British and part American?

The Police filmed the "Every Breath You Take" video on CC's sound stage.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2010, 06:12:45 PM »
A few other trivia questions that came up Friday night:

Will Smith song that paid props to the Jeffersons

Auteur of "There's No Easy Way Out" (audio clue)

Guest vocalist on hits by Jadakiss and Busta Rhymes

Song performed by Hank Williams I and III on their respective Grand Ole Opry debuts

Artist who had a hit in '68 who named his daughter after that hit

Movie in which "For All We Know" appeared (audio clue)

Movie in which Amerie's "1 Thing" appeared (audio clue)

Product for which ELO's "Hold On Tight" was used in '80s commercials

First female artist to hit #1 in the U.K. posthumously

More trivia TK!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2010, 06:28:23 PM »
A few other trivia questions that came up Friday night:

Will Smith song that paid props to the Jeffersons

Auteur of "There's No Easy Way Out" (audio clue)

Guest vocalist on hits by Jadakiss and Busta Rhymes

Song performed by Hank Williams I and III on their respective Grand Ole Opry debuts

Artist who had a hit in '68 who named his daughter after that hit

Movie in which "For All We Know" appeared (audio clue)

Movie in which Amerie's "1 Thing" appeared (audio clue)

Product for which ELO's "Hold On Tight" was used in '80s commercials

First female artist to hit #1 in the U.K. posthumously

More trivia TK!

yikes. the only one I *might* know is the ELO question: Was Hold On Tight used for some diapers?

so what was this M-T Bowl for?  Does it stand for "Music Trivia Bowl"?   Who puts it on?  I googled a bit for it , but didn't see any obvious answers.  Hope you killed.
~CPL593H~