Author Topic: Gazoo's Non-Three-Songs Trivia  (Read 58420 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Gazoo's Non-Three-Songs Trivia
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2010, 08:34:31 PM »

First female artist to hit #1 in the U.K. posthumously

Eva Cassidy?
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2010, 08:44:44 PM »

Eva Cassidy?

That's what I guessed!  Not right, though.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2010, 07:46:46 AM »
A few other trivia questions that came up Friday night:

Will Smith song that paid props to the Jeffersons

Auteur of "There's No Easy Way Out" (audio clue)

Guest vocalist on hits by Jadakiss and Busta Rhymes

Song performed by Hank Williams I and III on their respective Grand Ole Opry debuts

Artist who had a hit in '68 who named his daughter after that hit

Movie in which "For All We Know" appeared (audio clue)

Movie in which Amerie's "1 Thing" appeared (audio clue)

Product for which ELO's "Hold On Tight" was used in '80s commercials

More trivia TK!

Yikes, I only know one of these: "For All We Know" was from Lovers & Other Stangers (and was the Best Song Oscar winner that year)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2010, 12:27:38 PM »

If not Eva Cassidy, only possible answer I can think of is Aaliyah.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2010, 12:07:40 AM »

If not Eva Cassidy, only possible answer I can think of is Aaliyah.

And you would be right!  Well done.

I slightly muffed the title of the above tune; it's just "No Easy Way Out."  Link here for those stumped: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWEGd7PkZuM
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2010, 01:00:43 AM »
Will Smith song that paid props to the Jeffersons

"Gettin' Jiggy Wit It"

Auteur of "There's No Easy Way Out" (audio clue)

Robert Tepper

Guest vocalist on hits by Jadakiss and Busta Rhymes

Mariah Carey

Song performed by Hank Williams I and III on their respective Grand Ole Opry debuts

(sorry, I forget; it was totally unknown to me)

Artist who had a hit in '68 who named his daughter after that hit

Tiny Tim (Tulip) (Yes, really.)

Movie in which "For All We Know" appeared (audio clue)

As Mike knew, Lovers and Other Strangers

Movie in which Amerie's "1 Thing" appeared (audio clue)

Hitch

Product for which ELO's "Hold On Tight" was used in '80s commercials

Instant coffee

As R-347 said, Aaliyah.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2010, 12:22:37 AM »
More trivia from the latest M-T Bowl:

What artist had a Top 10 remake of Harry Chapin's "Cat's in the Cradle"?

What artist charted Hot 100 in the '80s with a remake of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"?

What Top 40 hit by the Band was a Motown remake?

What Top 10 hit was Kix's Top 10 power ballad "Don't Close Your Eyes" an answer record to?

What two artists were kicked out of a Smothers Brothers show in L.A. in '74?

What #1 hit was listed as being 3:00 - but was considerably longer, its label intentionally misleading so as to not dissuade DJs from playing it?

What did Dee Dee Ramone call his first happy song?  (Or words to that effect ...)

The rest of what I can recall are audio and video clues, alas.  A splendid time was had by all.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2010, 07:37:45 AM »

What artist had a Top 10 remake of Harry Chapin's "Cat's in the Cradle"? Ugly Kid Joe

What artist charted Hot 100 in the '80s with a remake of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"? Roger Troutman

What Top 40 hit by the Band was a Motown remake? Baby, Don't Do It (Marvin Gaye)

What Top 10 hit was Kix's Top 10 power ballad "Don't Close Your Eyes" an answer record to? I'm guessing here; "If I Close My Eyes Forever"?

What two artists were kicked out of a Smothers Brothers show in L.A. in '74? Harry Nilsson & John Lennon

What #1 hit was listed as being 3:00 - but was considerably longer, its label intentionally misleading so as to not dissuade DJs from playing it? most famously, "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" , tho' methinks there were others over the years

What did Dee Dee Ramone call his first happy song?  (Or words to that effect ...)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 09:46:39 AM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2010, 09:58:17 AM »

What artist had a Top 10 remake of Harry Chapin's "Cat's in the Cradle"? Ugly Kid Joe

What artist charted Hot 100 in the '80s with a remake of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"? Roger Troutman

What Top 40 hit by the Band was a Motown remake? Baby, Don't Do It (Marvin Gaye)

What Top 10 hit was Kix's Top 10 power ballad "Don't Close Your Eyes" an answer record to? I'm guessing here; "If I Close My Eyes Forever"?

What two artists were kicked out of a Smothers Brothers show in L.A. in '74? Harry Nilsson & John Lennon

What #1 hit was listed as being 3:00 - but was considerably longer, its label intentionally misleading so as to not dissuade DJs from playing it? most famously, "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" , tho' methinks there were others over the years

You got 4 of those!  And both of the ones you missed (the Troutman and Righteous Bros) were guesses made by people at our bowl.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2010, 09:59:54 AM »

You got 4 of those!  And both of the ones you missed (the Troutman and Righteous Bros) were guesses made by people at our bowl.

PS: I just looked up Troutman on AMG; it says his "Grapevine" indeed charted #79.  There must have been additional wording like a year that I missed - sorry!  You get 10 frink points.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2010, 10:29:35 AM »

PS: I just looked up Troutman on AMG; it says his "Grapevine" indeed charted #79.  There must have been additional wording like a year that I missed - sorry!  You get 10 frink points.

I looked up the other "Grapevine"; I suspect there was more to the question.  The Troutman version was a #1 R&B hit, BTW; I think that makes "Grapevine" the rare song to hit #1 R&B 3 times.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 10:50:57 AM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2010, 10:31:11 AM »

I looked up the other "Grapevine"; I suspect there was more to the question.  The Troutman version was a # R&B hit, BTW; I think that makes "Grapevine" the rare song to hit #1 R&B 3 times.

Yeah, I suppose a year was specified.  ('88?)  Care to make another guess?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2010, 10:49:39 AM »

I looked up the other "Grapevine"; I suspect there was more to the question.  The Troutman version was a # R&B hit, BTW; I think that makes "Grapevine" the rare song to hit #1 R&B 3 times.

Yeah, I suppose a year was specified.  ('88?)  Care to make another guess?

well, I peeked so it doesn't count, but it was the Calif Raisins  ::) Maybe the question said "what fictitious group..."?

the DeeDee Ramone answer is on the tip o' me tongue -- I remember hearing it said in one of the Ramones documentaries.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 10:54:00 AM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2010, 11:53:04 AM »
The "3:00" #1 hit, I forgot to follow up on, was the Association's "Cherish."

And Dee Dee's fond reminisce was for "Crummy Stuff."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2010, 02:42:43 PM »
I just heard this instrumental on one of Larry Grogan's "Funky 16 Corners" podcasts.  And I'm thinking "damn, where do I know that melody from?"  It finally came to me, but see if you can recognize it -- it turned up in a '90s alt-rock hit but the instrumental is from the '60s or '70s!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q55VK3H7-I