Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1385901 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #1080 on: March 21, 2009, 07:30:38 AM »
got here late, and listening to a canadian stream: http://radiotime.com/station/s_31245/The_HAWK_1039.aspx

Chico stream is crapping out this morning, so I guess I'll be listening to this stream today.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: March 21, 2009, 09:57:19 AM »
amusing anecdote about Jeff Lynne despising working w union string players.  They were only concerned about the hourly wage, not the music.  I bet many of them thought Lynne's music was crap, too. (I spent years at conservatory to play for this hairy hippie?)
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: March 21, 2009, 10:40:44 AM »
I had forgotten that the Eagles hit #1 with "New Kid in Town."  Not exactly one of the band's best-remembered songs.  I read somewhere that they wrote it in a bitter fit about Bruce Springsteen.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: March 21, 2009, 10:50:55 AM »
I had forgotten that the Eagles hit #1 with "New Kid in Town."  Not exactly one of the band's best-remembered songs.  I read somewhere that they wrote it in a bitter fit about Bruce Springsteen.

"Another commentary on the music business disguised as a love song", as Glenn Frey famously said.  We've discussed that here before... dunno if I'd call it a "bitter fit" but they were annoyed that they'd had a couple of #1 singles and a #1 LP by late summer '75, and yet there was Broooooce (who'd had neither) on the covers of Time and Newsweek. 
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: March 21, 2009, 10:54:17 AM »
another Eagles anecdote Casey relays is how the band liked to wander among the crowd before shows to establish a connection with their fans that is normally lacking in large venues.  I think what they really wanted to establish were connections to hot and willing groupies.
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: March 21, 2009, 11:36:56 AM »
I can't get over the brazenness of Mary McGregor's cuckoldry anthem, "Torn Between Two Lovers": she dismisses her husband's manhood, acknowledges the affair - and wants it to be an ongoing thing with his consent.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: March 21, 2009, 11:38:25 AM »
TBTL was bracketed by "Don't Give Up on Us" and "I Like Dweamin'."  Yikes.  Lot of unsteady vocals in this set.  (cf Travolta earlier in set with "All Strung Out")

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: March 21, 2009, 11:49:25 AM »
I can't get over the brazenness of Mary McGregor's cuckoldry anthem, "Torn Between Two Lovers": she dismisses her husband's manhood, acknowledges the affair - and wants it to be an ongoing thing with his consent.

LOL! Especially since, vocally speaking, she sounds like such a little wimpette. Imagine a cover by Candi Staton or Martha Wash!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: March 21, 2009, 02:00:05 PM »
LOL! Especially since, vocally speaking, she sounds like such a little wimpette. Imagine a cover by Candi Staton or Martha Wash!

Let's give equal time to another two-timing sleazebag in this week's AT40, William Bell, who is “TRYING TO LOVE TWO” in the #33 slot.  I suppose he's more of a sleaze, b/c he's trying to keep it hidden, whereas wimpy Mary wants to be openly polygamous.   :-*
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: March 21, 2009, 07:13:10 PM »

Let's give equal time to another two-timing sleazebag in this week's AT40, William Bell, who is “TRYING TO LOVE TWO” in the #33 slot.  I suppose he's more of a sleaze, b/c he's trying to keep it hidden, whereas wimpy Mary wants to be openly polygamous.   :-*

a 2-timer in more ways than one, as the song's melody is a ripoff of David Ruffin's "Walk Away from Love" from the year before.

Sylvetti's "Spring Rain" was a flashback for me, as there was a Top 40 station in NY (WPIX-FM) that would play nonstop disco every night from 10p-2a, and I heard it many times in that venue. But boy is it a forgettable instrumental.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: March 21, 2009, 07:31:57 PM »
Casey sez "Disco Lucy" is "one of 6 disco records" in the 40, but I only see 4: this, "Spring Rain", "Boogie Child" and "Don't Leave Me This Way".  Is he actually counting ABBA's "Dancing Queen"? and... what else?

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: March 21, 2009, 07:52:09 PM »
Casey sez "Disco Lucy" is "one of 6 disco records" in the 40, but I only see 4: this, "Spring Rain", "Boogie Child" and "Don't Leave Me This Way".  Is he actually counting ABBA's "Dancing Queen"? and... what else?

And now Casey sez "First Cut..." is Rod the Mod's 4th Top 40 hit; guess those Faces hits don't count.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: March 22, 2009, 09:14:30 AM »
The five you mentioned, plus (by process of elimination) #35, "At Midnight" by Rufus (?)

I'm listening right now on KFRC 1550AM (8-11AM Sundays).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: March 22, 2009, 10:03:42 AM »
Casey's '80s were this week in 1988, with Rickroll at #1.  The annoying aspect to this period in chart history was how almost every song in the Top 10 was from a blockbuster album that yielded 4+ hits: Debbie Gibson, George Michael, Michael Jackson, Richard Marx, etc.  Tells me a lot about the adventurousness of programming at the time.  (Not that those weren't fine singles in many cases.)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: March 22, 2009, 10:50:41 AM »

And now Casey sez "First Cut..." is Rod the Mod's 4th Top 40 hit; guess those Faces hits don't count.

And another error: Casey answers a letter about Dutch acts hitting the Top 40, and he says there were 4 -- Shocking Blue, Golden Earring, Mouth & MacNeil and George Baker Selection -- but fails to mention the Tee Set!  Casey's producer was really asleep at the switch that week.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 10:52:15 AM by RGMike »