Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1386083 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #885 on: January 04, 2009, 11:29:29 AM »
Early WOS vote for Del Shannon's cover of "Sea of Love."  This phone-in was his Big Comeback?

ah, the year of the '50s/early '60s-star-produced-by-'80s-star comeback avalanche: Gary US Bonds (Springsteen/Van Zandt); Mitch Ryder (Mellencamp); and the Shannon LP was a Petty project, iirc.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: January 04, 2009, 11:47:42 AM »
the Shannon LP was a Petty project, iirc.

Yup, and Casey actually mentioned that.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

SFGuy

« Reply #887 on: January 05, 2009, 05:35:04 PM »
SFGuy!  Welcome back - it's been a while since I've seen you here on the board; I hope you had a great holiday season and a triff New Year's.

Actually I've been around. I was the one who put the story on the death of the Capt. from Starsky and Hutch. Same old holiday season for me meaning boring but OK.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: January 08, 2009, 10:16:44 AM »
This weekend (1/10-11) Casey70's visits Jan 5, 1974. The playlist:
http://www.957kjrfm.com/pages/events.html?feed=111843&article=4192995
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 09:58:17 AM by Wayback »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: January 08, 2009, 10:24:22 AM »
This weekend (1/10-11) Casey70's visits Jan 5, 1974. The playlist:
http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://images.radcity.net/5874/3381028.pdf

yay -- back to regular charts.  Don't miss Merle Haggard's great "If We Make it Thru December" at #40
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: January 10, 2009, 07:15:44 AM »
Amazing that Kool & the Gang's sound of "Jungle Boogie" (debuting at #37 on this chart) and "Hollywood Swinging" would evolve into the soft "Cherish" and "Joanna."
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 07:18:30 AM by Wayback »

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: January 10, 2009, 07:20:55 AM »
NTM #36 Ian Thomas "Painted Ladies." The vocals sound like America tho' the melody is funkier.  You can listen now via chicooldies.com
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 07:22:56 AM by Wayback »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: January 10, 2009, 07:39:42 AM »
I'm here, missed Merle Haggard, dangit. Don't know if that one was a-comin' or a-goin' in the charts.

Painted Ladies is NTM, too.

How about the old-timey cheesey sounds of Tony Orlando and Dawn's "WHO’S IN THE STRAWBERRY PATCH WITH SALLY"  at #33?  and then Ringo's great single "Photograph" at #32 right after that?  what a difference...!
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: January 10, 2009, 07:44:05 AM »
I'm here, missed Merle Haggard, dangit. Don't know if that one was a-comin' or a-goin' in the charts.
Painted Ladies is NTM, too.
How about the old-timey cheesey sounds of Tony Orlando and Dawn's "WHO’S IN THE STRAWBERRY PATCH WITH SALLY"  at #33?  and then Ringo's great single "Photograph" at #32 right after that?  what a difference...!
Yeah, I missed Haggard, joined in on "Jungle Boogie."  Will have to hear it on another replay this weekend.  Yeah, Dawn got some mileage out of the vaudeville sound.  Now some comedy with "Spiders and Snakes" and "Sister Mary Elephant."

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: January 10, 2009, 07:48:13 AM »
browsing ahead in the chart, I see that Ringo has another song at #16. 
Jim Croce has two in this week, too.

I picture Casey shaking his head and sneering in slight disgust when he back announced Jim Stafford's "Spiders and Snakes."   

I think AT40's edits on Cheech and Chong are evident right before Sister Mary Elephant screams "SHADDDUP!" IIRC, that "Class..?  class?  class?" section was drawn out for a longer time. 

~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: January 10, 2009, 07:57:41 AM »
browsing ahead in the chart, I see that Ringo has another song at #16. 
Jim Croce has two in this week, too.
I picture Casey shaking his head and sneering in slight disgust when he back announced Jim Stafford's "Spiders and Snakes." 
I think AT40's edits on Cheech and Chong are evident right before Sister Mary Elephant screams "SHADDDUP!" IIRC, that "Class..?  class?  class?" section was drawn out for a longer time. 
Having multiple songs on one chart is an accomplishment. Croce had died the previous Sept (I have a clear memory of hearing about that while on school bus that morning), and Ringo had his biggest and best album then with "Ringo" which yielded a third hit "Oh My My." It was a Beatles reunion of sorts, with separate contributions by John, Paul and George.
PS - Haven't heard this AT40 Extra "Jim Dandy" since its inclusion in the film "Dazed and Confused"

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: January 10, 2009, 08:05:41 AM »
PS - Haven't heard this AT40 Extra "Jim Dandy" since its inclusion in the film "Dazed and Confused"

love that soundtrack! 

I just saw another Richard Linklater movie the other day: "Before Sunset" with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, which was the sequel to "Before Sunrise," which I haven't seen yet...   I liked Sunset a lot, but I'm sure it would've been an even better experience if I had seen Sunrise. 

btw, did Casey pronounce D'yer Mak'er as "Dee-urr maker?"  I suppose the proper LZ phonetic instructions had not circulated among jocks and the public yet.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 08:13:55 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: January 10, 2009, 08:22:54 AM »
love that soundtrack! 
I just saw another Richard Linklater movie the other day: "Before Sunset" with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, which was the sequel to "Before Sunrise," which I haven't seen yet...   I liked Sunset a lot, but I'm sure it would've been an even better experience if I had seen Sunrise.
btw, did Casey pronounce D'yer Mak'er as "Dee-urr maker?"  I suppose the proper LZ phonetic instructions had not circulated among jocks and the public yet.
Yep, we've noticed Casey's mispronunciations at other times as well. That's part of the charm of AT40 I suppose, but surprising, considering he's such a perfectionist.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: January 10, 2009, 08:25:45 AM »
Casey said War had the most popular LP of 1973??  I thought it'd be Led Zep, Elton John, the Stones, Chicago, or even the Carpenters!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: January 10, 2009, 08:45:08 AM »
ah yes.. the weekly dose of Mike Love recounted how he masterminded the opening of "I Get Around."

btw, I really enjoyed that youtube clip (posted in the youtube thread) of Matthew Sweet and Darius Rucker singing "Sail On Sailor."  Not yet a devoted fan of either guy, but what a great song.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 08:56:48 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~