Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1399480 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #735 on: November 15, 2008, 07:52:03 AM »
8th Day NTM with "You Gotta Crawl Before You Walk."  Sounds like they've been riding the Westbound #9 with the Chairmen of the Board and the Winstons also on the train.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: November 15, 2008, 07:56:01 AM »
HM to "Two Divided by Love," a gift from the Lambert-Potter team to the Grass Roots as apology for not saving "Don't Pull Your Love" for them.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: November 15, 2008, 07:58:27 AM »
Is anyone else bothered by what sounds to me like a cat's yowl during Casey's pre-commercial bumper music?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: November 15, 2008, 08:09:49 AM »
One from my all-time Top 10, though it's been replaced in my Top 5 by "Pretty Lady": "One Fine Morning."  You'd think I'd be rushing to track down more Lighthouse, but live stuff I've watched on YouTube just didn't wow me like those two songs do (and I'm not all that keen on "Sunny Days").

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: November 15, 2008, 08:13:59 AM »
The white, it blinds: WOS to Donny Osmond's "Go Away Little Girl," on its way down after becoming the first cover of a #1 hit to also reach the peak.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: November 15, 2008, 08:44:32 AM »
I'm baffled as to how Freddie Hart's "Easy Loving" crossed over to Top 40.  WOS2.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: November 15, 2008, 11:11:17 AM »
8th Day NTM with "You Gotta Crawl Before You Walk."  Sounds like they've been riding the Westbound #9 with the Chairmen of the Board and the Winstons also on the train.

LOL! Nicely phrased!  I love that one, actually, as I do a lot of mid-charting R&B follow-up hits (the Chi-Lites' "Stoned Out of My Mind" come to, er, mind)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: November 15, 2008, 11:14:18 AM »
I'm baffled as to how Freddie Hart's "Easy Loving" crossed over to Top 40.  WOS2.

"Evvahday's Thanksgiving!" Mass-appeal country #1s did it quite frequently back then -- look for Charley Pride's "Kiss an Angel Good Morning" in our next visit to '71.  (I don't mind Mr Hart's ballad, but I feel that way about the Donna Fargo hits -- fingernails on a blackboard for me.)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: November 15, 2008, 07:34:45 PM »
Meant to say earlier, for the edification of our newer friends, that "Thin Line Between Love and Hate" is one of those very rare cases of a song that I adore and Mike can't stand.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: November 15, 2008, 10:02:35 PM »
Meant to say earlier, for the edification of our newer friends, that "Thin Line Between Love and Hate" is one of those very rare cases of a song that I adore and Mike can't stand.

To my 16-year-old white-boy-from-Queens ears, it was a preposterous lyric -- she's "the sweetest woman in the world" and he pisses her off, so he ends up "in the hospital, bandaged from feet to head, in a state of shock, just that much from bein' dead" ?  It strikes me as a completely laughable image, but their delivery indicates they're dead serious. 

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: November 16, 2008, 05:46:29 AM »
Casey's '80s take us to Nov. 3, 1984, where debuts include the NTM (Dan Hartman, "We Are the Young"), the totally forgotten (Tommy Shaw, "Girls With Guns"), the sublime (Pat Benatar's "We Belong"), Duran Duran at their gayest ("Wild Boys"), and Sam Harris at his ... well, you know, "Sugar Don't Bite" (on the Motown label!).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 05:48:27 AM by Gazoo »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: November 16, 2008, 06:02:51 AM »
Ronnie, Bobby, Ricky, and Mike - and Ralph Tresvant on lead - bring the fun on "Cool It Now" at #30.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: November 16, 2008, 06:22:01 AM »
I'd forgotten how much I'd enjoyed Survivor's "I Can't Hold Back," which in hindsight seems like a string of pre-choruses strung together.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: November 16, 2008, 08:13:57 AM »
Amusing coincidence: After hearind the Pointer Sisters' "I'm So Excited" in its first chart go-round in 1982 last week, we got it again today in its more successful re-release.  Whoever had the idea to reissue it must've gotten a nice bonus check.

And now Chakakhanletmerockyouletmerockyouchakakhan, one of many BOS contenders in this lightweight but pleasant set.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: November 16, 2008, 08:16:03 AM »
Better be good to Tina, whom Casey introduces with a quote from rock writer Jon Pareles - who's still going strong with the NY Times, and with whom I've had a brief email exchange or two.  Great guy with a great mind, from everything I've seen.