Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1386223 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #360 on: August 30, 2008, 07:37:03 AM »
And Mac Davis is a guilty pleasure at #38 with "One Hell of a Woman."

Almost a twin-spin, as he shows up again a few places later with the inferior "Delta Dawn" rewrite "Stop and Smell the Roses."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 30, 2008, 08:07:57 AM »
WOS: Fancy, at #25, with "Wild Thing."  I don't have the stomach.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 30, 2008, 08:35:10 AM »
The Stylistics' "Let's Put It All Together" at #20 was new to me.  Same would be true of Billy "Crash" Craddock's "Rub It In" at 22 except for those air-freshener commercials.

And a personal fave at 19: Bo Donaldson & the Haywoods' "Who Do You Think You Are?"
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 09:26:55 AM by Gazoo »

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 30, 2008, 08:45:02 AM »
Most different/fun of set, at #23, Cheech & Chong 'Earache My Eye':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwBxXLC4zUo&feature=related
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 08:49:42 AM by Wayback »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 30, 2008, 09:26:26 AM »
"Clap for the Wolfman" had a clearly different voice doing the Wolfman Jack parts - was there a radio edict against other stations using his voice/character?

Ah, gangsta Helen Reddy saying "Indie or die, bitch": "You and me against the world."  Tell me AGAIN, Mommy!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 30, 2008, 09:28:32 AM »
Most different/fun of set, at #23, Cheech & Chong 'Earache My Eye':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwBxXLC4zUo&feature=related
Sort of speaking of which - I saw Pineapple Express last night.  Amusing if ultraviolent.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 30, 2008, 09:55:22 AM »
And a personal fave at 19: Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods' "Who Do You Think You Are?"
I like that one too; saw BD&H last summer at county fair, on a bill with the Cowsills, Leif Garrett, Bay City Rollers and hosted by 'Greg Brady' who did a dorky song/dance number a la his 'Johnny Bravo' character on later "Bunch' episodes.  Review:
http://www.ibabuzz.com/concerts/category/cowsills/

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 30, 2008, 10:52:04 AM »
And a personal fave at 19: Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods' "Who Do You Think You Are?"
I like that one too; saw BD&H last summer at county fair, on a bill with the Cowsills, Leif Garrett, Bay City Rollers and hosted by 'Greg Brady' who did a dorky song/dance number a la his 'Johnny Bravo' character on later "Bunch' episodes.  Review:
http://www.ibabuzz.com/concerts/category/cowsills/
OMFG!  I would have loved to have seen this.

(Except for the Leif Garrett - I don't want to see "Runaround Sue" and "I Was Made for Dancin'" from someone who looks like 1994 grunge never ended.)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 30, 2008, 11:31:08 AM »
The Stylistics' "Let's Put It All Together" at #20 was new to me. 

Their follow-up to the #1 "You Make Me Feel Brand New", it would peak at 18 and they would never make the Top 40 again, despite some nice work over the next few years.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 30, 2008, 11:35:35 AM »
"Clap for the Wolfman" had a clearly different voice doing the Wolfman Jack parts - was there a radio edict against other stations using his voice/character?

WTF?  I'm not aware of there being any other version (if such an edict existed the song never would've been a hit).  I'll be listening closely tonite.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 30, 2008, 06:36:06 PM »
Casey's '80s go back to 1982.  I tuned in at #30; highlights include Santana's "Hold On" (God does that sound like Clapton on the vox) and Jermaine Jackson's "Let Me Tickle Your Fancy."  I mean, really, WTF on the latter.  I never resolved the many sides of Jermajesty: his jealousy of Michael for taking over the leads; his free-floating artistic side that considered Devo and Pia Zadora partners of equal merit; his exceedingly queeny interviews in recent years as if auditioning to be one of the "Men on Film."  He's a complex one.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 30, 2008, 06:38:18 PM »
Blech.  Billy Idol's "first pop hit," Casey explains, after "Mony Mony" had gone Top 10 on the dance chart (!) the prev year.  The half of his popularity that people remember is what mystifies me.  Give me les yeux sans visages.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 06:55:36 PM by Gazoo »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 30, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »
Hey Mike, this was the week Kim Wilde spent her 4th week (!) at #25 in East California!  What a great men's chorus on that one.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 30, 2008, 06:55:02 PM »
Jennifer Holliday peaking at #22 with the song that gave a thousand drag queens a reason to live.  "And I am telling you ..."

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 30, 2008, 07:00:17 PM »
Casey's '80s go back to 1982.  I tuned in at #30; highlights include... Jermaine Jackson's "Let Me Tickle Your Fancy." 

I still have this 45; one of my fave forgotten '80s hits.  I'm just tuning in to the '70s edition as I type this.

ETA: for some unexplained reason, the stream on Wisconsin's "Magic 98" is 30 mins behind reality; the jock just now said "Casey Kasem coming up at 9 o'clock", even tho' it's 9:30 there. And their "just played" feature has been ticking off the first 6 or 7 songs in the countdown since the top o' the hour.

But -- finally -- here's the Miracles. Yeah, I can see how ya might think this was Diana.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 07:34:54 PM by RGMike »