Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1385683 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #345 on: August 23, 2008, 08:22:04 PM »
Last week's Casey Countdown had a Johnny Rivers cover ("Slow Dancin'") and a cover of a Beach Boys tune (B.J. Thomas's take on "Don't Worry Baby").  Now the two great tastes taste ... well, half-decent together on JR's "Help Me Rhonda" cover.

At my college radio station we used to joke about Mr Rivers having his "bi-annual remake hit": "Rockin' Pneumonia" in '73, "Rhonda" in '75 and "Dancin'" in '77. (all 3 on different labels, BTW)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 23, 2008, 08:33:34 PM »
LOL! Casey makes up for ZZTop's mis-pronunciation of "Tush" by saying it the correct (i.e., Yiddish) way!

I'd forgotten how syrupy "I'm Sorry" is -- but it occurs to me maybe JD should've given it to ONJ.

And we get our 2nd Sedaka reference of the countdown with C&T's "LWKUT", followed by Casey's engineers doing their Worst. Editing. Job. EVAH. on "Third Rate Romance".
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 08:39:05 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 24, 2008, 07:55:49 AM »
Casey's '80s take us to this week in 1987, where we got a couple Mike faves ("Mary's Prayer," "Back in the High Life") and a few I hadn't heard on the radio in 20 years:  "Living in a Box" (quick, can you name the other acts who charted with songs named after themselves?), Dionne Warwick and Jeffrey Osborne's "Love Power," Dan Hill and Vonda Shepard's excremental "Can't We Try" (immortal bridge: "Don't let our love fade away / No matter what people say"), and my beloved Starship, appropriately marking Grace Slick's final Top 40 showing with "It's Not Over Till It's Over."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 24, 2008, 08:09:46 AM »
A criminally forgotten favorite in the Top 10: T'Pau, "Heart and Soul."  I think the Monkees' "Heart and Soul" may have been in the Hot 100 around this time, though it missed the 40.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

SFGuy

« Reply #349 on: August 25, 2008, 01:08:59 AM »
Casey's XM version is from August 20, 1983, where at the beginning of the show mentioned an error on the show from the previous week. They played Pieces of Ice by Diana Ross at #38 when it was supposed to be at #45. They missed It's Inevitable by Charlie. Casey said it was an error not caught until after the show.

Chart contained a version I forgot about: Laura Branigan's version "How am I supposed to live without you". Show also contained board "favorites"  Men at Work (It's a Mistake at 6), Taco #9, Asia (Don't Cry #23), Journey (After the Fall #24) and Madness (Our House at 39). #36 had the very forgettable Frank Stallone (Far From Over).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 25, 2008, 09:38:22 AM »
Casey's XM version is from August 20, 1983, where at the beginning of the show mentioned an error on the show from the previous week. They played Pieces of Ice by Diana Ross at #38 when it was supposed to be at #45. They missed It's Inevitable by Charlie. Casey said it was an error not caught until after the show.

Chart contained a version I forgot about: Laura Branigan's version "How am I supposed to live without you". Show also contained board "favorites"  Men at Work (It's a Mistake at 6), Taco #9, Asia (Don't Cry #23), Journey (After the Fall #24) and Madness (Our House at 39). #36 had the very forgettable Frank Stallone (Far From Over).
I'd have enjoyed hearing this one.  That wrong-song gaffe is mentioned in AT40's Wikipedia entry; it's apparently the only time in AT40 history this ever happened.  (And the Charlie song is awful; listeners didn't miss anything.)

I'm probably the only fan of the Taco song here.  And I even remember his follow-up: "Let's Face the Music and Dance."

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 25, 2008, 09:58:45 AM »
I'm probably the only fan of the Taco song here.  And I even remember his follow-up: "Let's Face the Music and Dance."

indeed, you're the only fan of the Taco song in the world who wasn't 12 years old (or thereabouts) in 1983 ;)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 25, 2008, 10:02:42 AM »

indeed, you're the only fan of the Taco song in the world who wasn't 12 years old (or thereabouts) in 1983 ;)
I was 10; close enough?

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 25, 2008, 10:07:11 AM »

I was 10; close enough?

Yup. Gawd, it's an awful beyond-cheezy production; even if that was on purpose... it's bad.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 28, 2008, 04:04:31 PM »
This week Casey gives us Sept 14th 1974:

http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://images.radcity.net/5874/3002858.pdf

Some Gaz-tastic stuff there (we get Helen Reddy for the 3rd week in  a row!), and can't wait to hear that very rare Tower of Power track.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 04:06:09 PM by RGMike »

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 28, 2008, 07:19:05 PM »
Exc-O-lent, a double dose of Mac Davis, plus great '74 cheese from Paper Lace, Bo Donaldson & Heywoods, Tony Orlando, First Class, Jim Stafford, Paul Anka plus 'Earache My Eye'!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 28, 2008, 09:23:07 PM »
Exc-O-lent, a double dose of Mac Davis, plus great '74 cheese from Paper Lace, Bo Donaldson & Heywoods, Tony Orlando, First Class, Jim Stafford, Paul Anka plus 'Earache My Eye'!

"featuring Alice Bowie" -- LOL!  indeed, I'm looking forward to Saturday nite.

BTW, the reason that Seattle station stopped updating their AT40 set-list page is that they switched formats (dropped oldies in favor of simulcasting an all-news AM station owned by the same company).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 30, 2008, 06:11:24 AM »
The Miracles have a love that's really real at #40 with "Do It" - which I sincerely thought was Diana Ross first time I heard it.

And Mac Davis is a guilty pleasure at #38 with "One Hell of a Woman."  This would be fun at karaoke.  Mac admitted that the guitar riff is lifted from "Satisfaction."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 30, 2008, 06:26:21 AM »
Son of a fucking bitch.  The player crapped out, and I can't get any of the other broadcasts.   >:(  I was looking forward to this.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 30, 2008, 07:15:33 AM »
Son of a fucking bitch.  The player crapped out, and I can't get any of the other broadcasts.   >:(  I was looking forward to this.
Went with Chico's 102.1, an hour later.  Casey sounds hung over.