Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1385656 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #150 on: May 04, 2008, 12:19:34 PM »
"if 2 can be one,
who is the one 2 becomes?"

Food for thought from H&O -- talk about a forgotten hit.  Always better to leave 'em with a question than to preach insipid philosophy, like Charlene in the utterly abominable "Never Been to Me" -- UGH!  And now Paul Davis cashes in on nostalgia with the catchy but overly-obvious "'65 Love Affair" (for the record, I prefer "Cool Night"). Doo-wop diddy-wop diddy-wop doop, indeed.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2008, 11:13:15 PM »
...and "If I Had My Wish Tonight" by David Lasley (who?).

I know that name as a background singer, along with Luther Vandross and Arnold McCullers, on a couple of Todd Rundgren albums.
Let's get right to it.

SFGuy

« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2008, 10:24:56 PM »
This weekend's Casey XM shows:

Saturday at 9AM - May 14, 1977 XM description:

Here's what was going on around us in May of 1977: Patty Hearst was being released from prison, "Smoky & The Bandit" and "Star Wars" were brand new in theaters, and Atlanta Braves owner Ted Turner appointed himself manager of his own team (that lasted only one game!). And when the weekend of May 14, 1977 rolled around Casey Kasem's American Top 40 countdown rolled out of your local station. That week included at least five songs about dancing ("Slow Dancin'" from Addrisi Brothers, "Ain't Gonna Bump No More With No Big Fat Woman" from Joe Tex, "Can't Stop Dancin'" from Captain & Tennille, "Lido Shuffle" from Boz Scaggs, and "Dancin' Man" from Q). Casey's original American Top 40- straight out of the 70's but this time no commercials - on the 70's on 7 on XM!

Sunday at 9AM - May 14, 1988. XM description:

On Saturday May 14, 1988 the St. Louis Cards lose to the Braves 7-5 in a "best bang?for your buck"?19 innings at Busch stadium.? Jimmy Swaggart admits to walking "the wild side," and we?began?rebuilding our personal music stash?with the hot?new, ultra-durable compact discs (CD)!? On the charts Michael Jackson moves in for the kill with?a fifth single off his record-setting album, "Bad.'??And reigning "Best New Artist" of the Grammy's is back with their second album, "Scenes from the Southside."? Can Bruce Hornsby and the Range live up to the praise?? Join Casey Kasem and relive May 14, 1988 this week, the original AT40?is always commercial-free?on XM's 80s on 8!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2008, 08:40:46 PM »
And this week's terrestrial retro-Kasem ('70s division) is from May 20th 1972. Woo Hoo!

http://www.mynorthwest.com/?sid=22371&nid=119

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2008, 06:14:47 AM »
And this week's terrestrial retro-Kasem ('70s division) is from May 20th 1972. Woo Hoo!

http://www.mynorthwest.com/?sid=22371&nid=119

In at #38: Andy Williams, "Speak Softly, Love (Theme From The Godfather)" - Casey tells the now-quaint story that the film, with grosses of $22 million in its first few weeks, may break The Sound of Music's record of a $115 million domestic gross.  Sheesh, that figure would be middling now ...

And at #37, one of the worst vocal performances to ever make the Top 10, Sonny & Cher's "A Cowboy's Work Is Never Done."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2008, 08:46:11 AM »
Joe Tex's "I Gotcha" remains one of the more improbable #2 hits.  Love it, but it's got a major WTF quality.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2008, 10:38:33 AM »
Joe Tex's "I Gotcha" remains one of the more improbable #2 hits.  Love it, but it's got a major WTF quality.

caught the last hour or so... note the Jacksons (individually and collectively) jumping on the '50s nostalgia bandwagon fairly early with both "Rockin' Robin'" and "Little Bitty Pretty One".

Will catch the early part of the countdown tonite before heading up to Twin Peaks for Kaboom.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 10, 2008, 07:24:32 PM »
In at #38: Andy Williams, "Speak Softly, Love (Theme From The Godfather)" ...

And at #37, one of the worst vocal performances to ever make the Top 10, Sonny & Cher's "A Cowboy's Work Is Never Done."

The Godfather song has quite an awful lyric, IMHO -- "wine-colored days"? Doesn't that only happen during a nuclear holocaust?  Written after-the-fact; it isn't sung in the film, they wrote the lyrics to go with the instrumental theme after it became clear the film was going to be a hit. The song actually sung in the film, "I Have But One Heart", is quite nice, a perfect retro-'40s Italian ballad, and got stiffed at Oscar time.

You're right about the S&C, tho'. I'd forgotten about the vocal -- besides, it always struck me as a weak knockoff of "Bang Bang". But it's followed by the Moodies' lovely "Isn't Life Strange", and OMFG! Miss Millie Jackson's fabtastic "Ask Me What You Want"!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 07:26:38 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2008, 08:00:56 PM »
TANC: The Carpenters, as discussed here recently, doing Ms. King's "It's Going to Take Some Time", the single that would break their streak of 6 Top Three singles in a row by peaking at #12.  And now Mrs. Barry White and Love Unltd get caught in the rain -- "oh... it feels SO good!". What a wonderful time for beautifully produced MOR pop.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2008, 08:16:58 PM »
I'd forgotten that Harry Chapin-renting-the-Village Gate story.  The lovely "Taxi" on its way to a far-too-low #24 peak.

I'll have to bail in a few to get up to Twin Peaks; hope the fog holds off. But not before I hear "Me & Julio".

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2008, 08:17:34 PM »
I'd forgotten that Harry Chapin-renting-the-Village Gate story.  The lovely "Taxi" on its way to a far-too-low #24 peak.

I'll have to bail in a few to get up to Twin Peaks; hope the fog holds off. But not before I hear "Me & Julio".

Just tuned in.  Have fun in the boom-yard!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2008, 08:47:34 PM »

Just tuned in.  Have fun in the boom-yard!

Welcome to the No-Kaboom Town: Twin Peaks is socked in. Couldn't see a damn thing from my usual viewing spots. So I'm home to listen to the soundtrack but it won't be the same thing -- first time this has happened to me in 7 or 8 years of driving up there to watch. Not sure what it's like down on the piers.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 11, 2008, 10:55:21 AM »
Casey's '80s: May 1986.  Forgotten hits I literally haven't heard since '86:

Julian Lennon, "Stick Around"
Starship, "Tomorrow Doesn't Matter Tonite"
Bob Seger, "American Storm" (I still have this 45; the non-LP B-side is his cover of "Fortunate Son")
ZZ Top, "Rough Boy"
Culture Club, "Move Away"
Mr Mister, "Is it Love"
Sade, "Never as Good as the First Time"

Flashback of the Day, however, goes to the Jets' delightful "Crush on You".

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 16, 2008, 12:39:19 PM »
Hey, this weekend (5/17-18) "AT40 the 70's" is from May 17, 1975
www.mynorthwest.com/?sid=22371&nid=119

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 16, 2008, 12:51:28 PM »
Hey, this weekend (5/17-18) "AT40 the 70's" is from May 17, 1975
www.mynorthwest.com/?sid=22371&nid=119

A good one, tho' not nearly as many "forgotten hits" as usual. I will probably miss this one due to other commitments in any case. TANC: Greg on CGSS just played the Disc-O-Texx song.