Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1399951 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 07:31:37 AM »
I tend to listen via XM but this past weekend was from March 5, 1988 so I thought to myself, "forget it". I will catch next Sunday which is March 26, 1983. For those who have XM (or Directv) the 70's show is from March 10, 1979.
FYI y'all, here's list of stations airing Casey's original 80's shows (some offer streaming audio):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stations_that_air_Casey_Kasem%27s_American_Top_40:_The_80%27s
And list of stations airing his original 70's shows:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stations_that_air_Casey_Kasem%27s_American_Top_40:_The_70%27s

Merci buckets!!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

SFGuy

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 12:17:11 AM »
I tend to listen via XM but this past weekend was from March 5, 1988 so I thought to myself, "forget it". I will catch next Sunday which is March 26, 1983. For those who have XM (or Directv) the 70's show is from March 10, 1979.
FYI y'all, here's list of stations airing Casey's original 80's shows (some offer streaming audio):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stations_that_air_Casey_Kasem%27s_American_Top_40:_The_80%27s
And list of stations airing his original 70's shows:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stations_that_air_Casey_Kasem%27s_American_Top_40:_The_70%27s

I believe the versions the radio stations play is different then the ones that is played on XM.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 10:18:23 PM »
Scroll down in here for the playlist from this weekend's “American Top 40- The 70's”-- this time from March 2, 1974:
www.mynorthwest.com/?sid=22371&nid=119
You can listen via that website Sunday 8-11am Pacific, in addition to Saturday 6-9am on KFRC (and their 2-hr version 10pm-Midnight).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 06:09:46 AM »
FTR: No Casey on KFRC this morning.  Harrumph.  All the more reason to thank you, Wayback, for tipping us off to all the other stations playing these (I hadn't known they were being so actively syndicated).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2008, 08:35:13 AM »
FTR: No Casey on KFRC this morning.  Harrumph.  All the more reason to thank you, Wayback, for tipping us off to all the other stations playing these (I hadn't known they were being so actively syndicated).
You probably noticed that KFRC did air it this morning, just not starting promptly at 6AM, but right after you posted your note, most likely due to timing considerations.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 12:03:50 PM »
You probably noticed that KFRC did air it this morning, just not starting promptly at 6AM, but right after you posted your note, most likely due to timing considerations.

Like most stations, KFRC is computer-run at that hour; a few too many songs loaded into the automation and next thing ya know, you're 10 or 15 mins behind schedule.  But having discovered the Wisconsin station

http://www.magic98.com/

that runs the show on Sat nite, I'll be listening this evening (7-10 Pacific time) while I do my taxes.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 12:05:34 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2008, 07:17:12 PM »
"to get caught with Shirley'd be the death of us all!"

The countdown begins with Brownsville Station, on their way down & out. And now Gladys has to use her imagination -- well, how else could she possibly believe in the Book of Mormon?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 07:17:17 PM »

Like most stations, KFRC is computer-run at that hour; a few too many songs loaded into the automation and next thing ya know, you're 10 or 15 mins behind schedule.  But having discovered the Wisconsin station

http://www.magic98.com/

that runs the show on Sat nite, I'll be listening this evening (7-10 Pacific time) while I do my taxes.

As it happens, my Internet connection crapped out about 5 minutes after I posted that.  So I'm home tonight and I've got this playing now on Magic 98 while I do the do like Betty Boo.  Rock & roll, hootchie koo!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2008, 07:19:16 PM »
And now Gladys has to use her imagination -- well, how else could she possibly believe in the Book of Mormon?

I'm still not believing this.  Where's the quid pro quo - daddy, declare!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2008, 07:40:59 PM »
And now Gladys has to use her imagination -- well, how else could she possibly believe in the Book of Mormon?

I'm still not believing this.  Where's the quid pro quo - daddy, declare!

I swear to Joseph Smith. Seriously, I have "BYU TV" on my cable system and I saw her interviewed about it. I was floored.

This is a real memory-jogger tonite: I totally forgot about that worthless remake of "Last Kiss" -- the orig by J Frank Wilson had re-charted in '73 for some reason and I guess these Canadians (Wednesday) decided to try and cash in.  And I don't remember that all-British countdown Casey was plugging -- in 5 weeks, meaning the 10th Anniversary of the Beatles having the Top 5 singles.  But "Can This Be Real" by Oakland's own Natural Four -- lovely.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2008, 07:53:48 PM »
Wow, I don't remember this BB King hit either -- it certainly got no love from NYC radio.

I really do have to work on my taxes, but I'll check back in towards the end of the countdown.  John Denver, Anne Murray, ONJ, Cher, Ree-Ree and Babs -- what a lineup!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2008, 08:31:21 PM »
People, playlists do not get more eclectic than this:

40 - "SMOKING IN THE BOYS' ROOM" - Brownsville Station
39 - "JIM DANDY" - Black Oak Arkansas
38 - "HOOKED ON A FEELING" - Blue Swede
37 - "I'VE GOT TO USE MY IMAGINATION" - Gladys Knight & The Pips
36 - "ROCK AND ROLL HOOCHIE KOO" - Rick Derringer
35 - "CAN THIS BE REAL" - Natural Four
34 - "LAST KISS" - Wednesday
33 - "ENERGY CRISIS '74" - Dickie Goodman
32 - "BENNIE AND THE JETS" - Elton John
31 - "THE JOKER" - The Steve Miller Band
30 - "MIGHTY LOVE, PT. 1" - The Spinners
29 - "I LIKE TO LIVE THE LOVE" - B.B. King
28 - "THERE WON'T BE ANYMORE" - Charlie Rich
27 - "MIDNIGHT RIDER" - Gregg Allman
26 - "SHOW AND TELL" - Al Wilson
25 - "DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO (HEARTBREAKER)" - The Rolling Stones
24 - "COME AND GET YOUR LOVE" - Redbone
23 - "TRYING TO HOLD ON TO MY WOMAN" - Lamont Dozier
22 - "MY SWEET LADY" - Cliff DeYoung
21 - "AMERICANS" - Byron MacGregor
20 - "JET" - Paul McCartney & Wings
19 - "SEXY MAMA" - The Moments
18 - "ERES TU (TOUCH THE WIND)" - Mocedades
17 - "SUNSHINE ON MY SHOULDERS" - John Denver
16 - "LAST TIME I SAW HIM" - Diana Ross
15 - "LET ME BE THERE" - Olivia Newton-John
14 - "A LOVE SONG" - Anne Murray
13 - "MOCKINGBIRD" - Carly Simon & James Taylor
12 - "I LOVE" - Tom T. Hall
11 - "YOU'RE SIXTEEN" - Ringo Starr
10 - "PUT YOUR HANDS TOGETHER" - The O'Jays
9 - "DARK LADY" - Cher
8 - "LOVE'S THEME" - Love Unlimited Orchestra
7 - "UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO ME (THAT'S WHAT I'M GONNA DO)" - Aretha Franklin
6 - "ROCK ON" - David Essex
5 - "JUNGLE BOOGIE" - Kool & The Gang
4 - "BOOGIE DOWN" - Eddie Kendricks
3 - "SPIDERS & SNAKES" - Jim Stafford
2 - "THE WAY WE WERE" - Barbra Streisand
1 - "SEASONS IN THE SUN" - Terry Jacks

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2008, 08:45:12 PM »
Noting for the record that Casey said Mocedades, "Eres Tu" with extra relish.  Nice.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2008, 09:47:09 PM »
People, playlists do not get more eclectic than this

"THERE WON'T BE ANYMORE" indeed!

I always thought Diana's "Last Time I Saw Him" woulda been a swell Helen Reddy follow-up to "Leave Me Alone"; I wonder if it was actually written for her. "Eres Tu" was indeed a treat. Not so "Mockingbird", which I disliked at the time, almost as much as I disliked "Bennie & the Jets".  Anne Murray should've done a whole LP of Loggins covers. And I know you hate TTH's "I Love", but he's otherwise a great songwriter and worth investigating.

Didn't Laura Nyro do a cover of the Moments' "Sexy Mama"?

Chart trivia: there were 2 versions of "Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me" in the Hot 100 that week; Gladys/Pips and also the Persuaders, whose take on it only got to #85. H&O's first go-round with "She's Gone" was struggling in the 70s, on its way to a #60 peak. And we just missed hearing Sister Janet Mead, who debuted the following week at #31.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2008, 09:50:34 PM »
HEY!  Casey just called "Boogie Down" Eddie Kendricks' first major solo hit!  Did he forget about "Keep On Truckin'?"

ETA: And yes, I realize that I'm posting this as if it were a real-time event.  I'm geeky that way.