Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1386078 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #1185 on: May 16, 2009, 09:39:32 PM »
We missed out on Peter McCann's "Do You Wanna Make Love?" but here's Jennifer Warnes doing his "Right Time Of the Night", another Gaz HFH but a personal fave of mine (McCann's version of "RTOTN" is on the flip of "DYWML").  If nothing else, Ms Warnes is doing the Best. Ronstadt. Imitation. EVAH -- and she does it without shouting.

Oh BTW: we finally broke the Bobby Vinton curse this week!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: May 17, 2009, 10:40:43 AM »
plenty of forgotten faves nonetheless: The Addrissis' "Slow Dancin' (Don't Turn Me On)", Firefall's lovely "Cinderella",

But I'm still trying to remember the reason that John Denver's 1971 "My Sweet Lady" was re-released as a 45 in '77.

Slow Dancin and Cinderella are pretty nice.

I wonder if My Sweet Lady's re-release was due to JD's Greatest Hits Vol 2 in this year..?  Casey notes that it's a "remake" of a song Cliff DeYoung had in 1974.  who?
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: May 17, 2009, 10:46:15 AM »
just realized that #40 song (“SLOWDOWN” – John Miles) is sorta what Foghat doing disco (w special guest Peter Frampton on voicebox'd guitar and some guy who just discovered the note-bending button on his synth) would sound like.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: May 17, 2009, 10:57:46 AM »
I wonder if My Sweet Lady's re-release was due to JD's Greatest Hits Vol 2 in this year..?  Casey notes that it's a "remake" of a song Cliff DeYoung had in 1974.  who?

We heard that one a few weeks ago when Casey did '74 -- obviously it was not exactly memorable ;)  Cliff DeYoung was an actor; he sang the song in the TV movie Sunshine, which featured Denver's songs (and was the reason "Sunshine on My Shoulders" was a hit for JD at that time).

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: May 17, 2009, 11:13:11 AM »
 I seem to have forgotten Tavares' Who Dunnit ... it seemed NTM.  I love all the name checks, esp this one:

Ellery Queen if you're so keen
Won't you help me find my sweet thing (Yeah, yeah)

Remember the Ellery Queen TV show? the viewer was given clues as the show progressed before the conclusion, Ellery would break the fourth wall and directly address the audience w something like "Ok, you have the clues, can you solve it?"  then after teh commercial break, he would solve the crime and get the bad guy.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 11:19:04 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: May 17, 2009, 11:29:12 AM »
I seem to have forgotten Tavares' Who Dunnit ... it seemed NTM.  I love all the name checks, esp this one:

Ellery Queen if you're so keen
Won't you help me find my sweet thing (Yeah, yeah)

Remember the Ellery Queen TV show? the viewer was given clues as the show progressed before the conclusion, Ellery would break the fourth wall and directly address the audience w something like "Ok, you have the clues, can you solve it?"  then after teh commercial break, he would solve the crime and get the bad guy.

"Ellery Queen" -- Gayest. Name. EVAH.

Around that same time, Nilsson had a song called "Kojak Columbo"; I played it back-to-back with "Whodunit" more than a few times.

"For cryin' out loud -- somebody call McCloud!"

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: May 21, 2009, 01:34:53 PM »
This week Klassic Kasem takes us to May 6, 1978:

http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://www.whnn.com/Article.asp?id=583277&spid=

I probably haven't heard EJ's "Ego" since '78.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: May 23, 2009, 07:15:14 PM »
Wow -- Robert Palmer's wonderful "Every Kinda People" was his FIRST Top 40 hit.

We just missed hearing Patti Smith's "Because the Night" at #41, and Allan Clarke (voice of Hollies hits like "He Ain't Heavy..." and "Air That I Breathe") was a week away from peaking at #41 with his lovely solo single "Shadow in the Street", worth seeking out.

Your body... my body... my WOS: Michael Zager's "Let's All Chant", the first of many annoying "oo! oo!" disco numbers in the late '70s.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 07:43:46 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: May 23, 2009, 07:30:20 PM »
early BOS candidate: MeatLoaf's "2 Out of 3...", a power ballad worthy of the label.

Ah, but Andy Gibb's love is still thicker than his you-know-what.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: May 23, 2009, 07:40:59 PM »
I probably haven't heard EJ's "Ego" since '78.

And now I know why. Granted, radio was kinda sick of him at that point but it's a rather weak single.  But an interesting Casey spotlight on "the most successful show business family of the century" -- the Jones/Cassidy clan. And Shaun shows up to grab the Most Unnecessary Karaoke of Set trophy with his cover of "Do You Believe in Magic".

Speaking of families: BOS Tavares' fab version of "More Than a Woman"; we won't hear anything better in the next 2-1/2 hours. How sad that perhaps the best orig track on the SNF sndtk was the lowest-charting.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 07:55:12 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: May 23, 2009, 08:13:17 PM »
BOS Tavares' fab version of "More Than a Woman"; we won't hear anything better in the next 2-1/2 hours.

oops, I lied: co-BOS Bonnie Tyler. It ain't wight to ignore "It's a Heartache".

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: May 23, 2009, 09:11:48 PM »
ARS may be skilled musicians, but as "Imaginary Lover" illustrates, they're also master debaters.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: May 23, 2009, 09:35:20 PM »
"Lay Down Sally" was in the top ten for 11 weeks?? Sheesh.

Olivia tells John he better shape up; Niecy tells Johnny it's too little too late. Damn bitches ain't nevah satisfied...

...unless they named Roberta: she tells Donny the closer they get, the closer she wants to get. Oddly, the single is credited to Ms. Flack only, at least on the Billboard chart.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 09:49:39 PM by RGMike »

SFGuy

« Reply #1198 on: May 23, 2009, 10:58:26 PM »

Olivia tells John he better shape up; Niecy tells Johnny it's too little too late. Damn bitches ain't nevah satisfied...

...unless they named Roberta: she tells Donny the closer they get, the closer she wants to get. Oddly, the single is credited to Ms. Flack only, at least on the Billboard chart.

Why the hate for Eric Clapton?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1199 on: May 23, 2009, 11:15:39 PM »

Why the hate for Eric Clapton?
this is not a universally held opinion.  Many board members diss Clapton and The Cars (not that they are the same!) while others dig 'em!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!