Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1385871 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #1155 on: May 02, 2009, 09:25:45 PM »
OMG! I don't think I've ever heard that spoken intro to Gladys' cover of "Help Me Make it Thru the Night" before! 

Also perhaps worth noting that the single is credited "Gladys Knight & the Pips" - but no Pips appear on the track.  It's Gladys solo.

you mean Casey LIED??

WOS Ringo's "Back-off Booglaoo" -- My least fave of all his solo hits; hard to believe George produced this. "Wake up, meathead/Don't pretend that you were dead"? Huh?And "back-off" from *what*, exactly?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: May 02, 2009, 09:55:57 PM »
Grammarians and Spelling teachers must've had conniptions when they saw "Betcha By Golly Wow" and "I Gotcha" back-to-back at #3 and #2, respectively.

And at #1 for the 4th of what would be 6 weeks at the top, Ms Flack's "First Time Ever..." -- and she owed it all to Clint. I've said this before, but the single version of this lengthy LP cut is one of the most intricate and inventive 45 edits I've ever heard.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 10:01:59 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: May 03, 2009, 05:16:28 AM »
Casey's '80s this week give us May April 28, 1984 and dubious moral advice from Laid Back: don't do heroin; do coke instead!  And yes, it's the chickenshit "got to be a b____" edit.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 07:15:56 AM by Gazoo »
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: May 03, 2009, 05:30:53 AM »
Best High Drama Of Set, if not BOS outright: Bonnie Tyler needing her Greek fix, holding out for a gyro.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: May 03, 2009, 07:16:36 AM »
BOS (and one of my favorite videos ever), Alan Parsons Project, "Don't Answer Me."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: May 03, 2009, 07:55:27 AM »
OMGWTFLOL of the month has to go to Julio Iglesias and Willie Nelson, "To All the Girls I've Loved Before," somehow cracking the Top 10 this week 25 years ago.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: May 03, 2009, 11:05:49 AM »
OMGWTFLOL of the month has to go to Julio Iglesias and Willie Nelson, "To All the Girls I've Loved Before," somehow cracking the Top 10 this week 25 years ago.

We've talked before about how in the early '80s, Top 40 radio became very Adult Contempo; here's one of those A/C holdovers (it got to #5!), but it's doing battle with the MTV acts like the Thompson Twins and the Footloose sndtk.  It reminds me of the '60s when the Beatles and the Airplane were sharing the Top Ten with Sinatra.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: May 07, 2009, 09:55:37 PM »
This weekend's Casey70's is from May 8, 1971. The Playlist:
http://www.957kjrfm.com/pages/events.html?feed=111843&article=4192995

This station normally airs Casey70's, but this weekend its May 3, 1980:
http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://www.whnn.com/Article.asp?id=583277&spid=

SFGuy

« Reply #1163 on: May 07, 2009, 11:04:56 PM »

We've talked before about how in the early '80s, Top 40 radio became very Adult Contempo; here's one of those A/C holdovers (it got to #5!), but it's doing battle with the MTV acts like the Thompson Twins and the Footloose sndtk.  It reminds me of the '60s when the Beatles and the Airplane were sharing the Top Ten with Sinatra.

Funny. I hate early 70's Adult Contempo (as Mike calls it) but I don't mind early 80's Adult Comtemp.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: May 08, 2009, 07:21:15 AM »
This weekend's Casey70's is from May 8, 1971. The Playlist:
http://www.957kjrfm.com/pages/events.html?feed=111843&article=4192995

This station normally airs Casey70's, but this weekend its May 3, 1980:
http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://www.whnn.com/Article.asp?id=583277&spid=

interesting -- the '70s and '80s packages are supposed to be mutually exclusive; maybe WHNN is switching formats?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: May 09, 2009, 07:15:53 AM »
Oh GAWD, it's my first time hearing "The Battle Hymn of Lt. Calley."  WOS, Worst of Week, maybe Worst of Year.

Before it, the Chi-Lites' "For God's Sake (Give More Power to the People)" was a BOS candidate.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: May 09, 2009, 08:25:24 AM »
Mike, you called it!

** WHICH MEANS **

Fuzz are in at #22 with "I Love You for All Seasons."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: May 09, 2009, 09:40:46 AM »
This was the week WPIX in NYC added the Top 40 Countdown.  A few WOS candidates ("I Play and Sing" and dub in terrible canned applause; the Bells' wimpy "Stay Awhile"), but OTOH we get 3/4 of the Beatles (only George is missing) plus 2 Beatles covers; and a whole mess o' Jesus.  I had no idea "Superstar" had ridden the Hot 100 for 24 weeks in two previous chart runs before finally making the Top 40 this week.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: May 09, 2009, 10:55:42 AM »
This was the week WPIX in NYC added the Top 40 Countdown. 

I remember it vividly -- I'd always been a local chart geek, keeping lists of WMCA and WABC's weekly countdowns. I knew Billboard existed but had never actually seen a copy.  The idea of a weekly national chart show blew my mind, and I was glued to the radio that Sunday morning.  I am *so* looking forward to this.

I've mentioned before that in those days, Casey played a (non-45) cut from the #1 LP every week, and that feature seems to have disappeared from these replays. I recall hearing several deep tracks from JC Superstar, for example. He'd stopped doing it by the end of '71.

Yeah, the "Lt Calley" thing is godawful -- but it went gold despite only spending a couple weeks in the lower part of the 40. The "silent majority" bought lots of copies, I guess.  But thrilled to see Fuzz in there, as well as Brenda & the Tabulations ("didn't you KNOW?? Couldn't you SEE IT??") and that fab Chi-Lites hit -- one of TWO songs with the phrase "Power to the People" in the title that week! Ah, the '70s...

ETA: I note this is one of the rare charts from that period that doesn't feature a James Brown single. But Smokey's "I Don't Blame You at All" is one of my fave lesser-known Miracles hits.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 11:10:51 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: May 09, 2009, 07:17:53 PM »
Given that this was my first-ever AT40, and it was "Don't Change on Me"s last week in the 40... that makes this only the 2nd time in my entire life that I've heard this fair-to-middling Ray Charles single. Amazing that he was still having Top 40 hits in '71; more amazing that he wouldn't hit the 40 with a vocal again until late '89 with the Quincy Jones remake of "I'll Be Good to You".

GAWD! This "Lt. Calley" thing makes "The Ballad of the Green Berets" sound like "Give Peace a Chance". I feel like I need a shower.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 07:26:51 PM by RGMike »