Author Topic: 21 November 2007--it's...TURKEYS!  (Read 6139 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
21 November 2007--it's...TURKEYS!
« on: November 19, 2007, 09:34:36 AM »
That holiday tradition. Dave's soliciting suggestions on his blog page. Mike, you finally got Tarzan Boy last year--got a new request for this year?
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 10:39:51 AM »
I doubt I'll actually suggest anything, but I'd enjoy hearing an early-'80s robo-pop turkey like "Freak-A-Zoid."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 09:31:40 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
I doubt I'll actually suggest anything, but I'd enjoy hearing an early-'80s robo-pop turkey like "Freak-A-Zoid."

I like freak a zoid. Heard it recently on KISS 98.1. It's my occasional guilty pleasure during a lunch time drive or drive home. They play cool mixes and old school stuff I used to listen to in the early 80s. I think back then it was 107.7 KSOL.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 07:50:05 AM »
Dave seemed to be wavering this morning, then (for the umpteenth time) the Morning Crew had their annual endless discussion about the diff between a Turkey and a HFH. Peter tried to sell Dave on "Holiday Hams" -- songs by over-the-top performers (Elton etc). But in the end Dave said Turkeys were on "if we get enuf suggestions".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 08:27:20 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Dave seemed to be wavering this morning, then (for the umpteenth time) the Morning Crew had their annual endless discussion about the diff between a Turkey and a HFH. Peter tried to sell Dave on "Holiday Hams" -- songs by over-the-top performers (Elton etc). But in the end Dave said Turkeys were on "if we get enuf suggestions".

OK, I suggested the robo-pop.

I also suggested a medley of "Xanadu" + "Can't Stop the Music" + "The Apple."  Which reminds me: The posters on Broadway for Xanadu: The Musical use this as a tagline: "The critics love it. Seriously."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 08:37:51 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

OK, I suggested the robo-pop.

I also suggested a medley of "Xanadu" + "Can't Stop the Music" + "The Apple."  Which reminds me: The posters on Broadway for Xanadu: The Musical use this as a tagline: "The critics love it. Seriously."

Even dave's probably never heard of "The Apple".  But I'll take "Xanadu" (the song) any day. The movie, OTOH...

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 08:52:49 AM »

my email to Dave:

Hi Dave,

I’m one of the many die-hard 10@10 fans for whom Thanksgiving week *can’t* get started without the Turkey set.  Always look forward to it…please don’t let Peter talk you out of this fine tradition.

If you’re in need of suggestions, just look back at your excellent set from 2002:

Beatles - You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)
Carl Douglas - Kung Fu Fighting
Chumbawamba - Tubthumping
Hot Butter - Popcorn
Lipps, Inc. - Funkytown
Marcels - Blue Moon
Men Without Hats - Safety Dance
Sweet - Little Willie
Taco - Puttin' On The Ritz
Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight

Only Chumbawumba from this group appeared last year, and only Lipps Inc appeared the year before.

Anyway, I hope that helps.  I want to request “Safety Dance” for sure, as I was kinda hoping it might have made the cut for the Clapping set.

Best as always,

Mark
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 09:09:18 AM »
Since Dave seems desperate, I requested "Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter."  Dopey and wonderful, a song that wouldn't work at all without the English accent.  As proof, it did not break the top 20 in the UK, but went to #1 in the States.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 09:12:46 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

my email to Dave:

Hi Dave,

I’m one of the many die-hard 10@10 fans for whom Thanksgiving week *can’t* get started without the Turkey set.  Always look forward to it…please don’t let Peter talk you out of this fine tradition.

If you’re in need of suggestions, just look back at your excellent set from 2002:

Beatles - You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)
Carl Douglas - Kung Fu Fighting
Chumbawamba - Tubthumping
Hot Butter - Popcorn
Lipps, Inc. - Funkytown
Marcels - Blue Moon
Men Without Hats - Safety Dance
Sweet - Little Willie
Taco - Puttin' On The Ritz
Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight

Only Chumbawumba from this group appeared last year, and only Lipps Inc appeared the year before.

Anyway, I hope that helps.  I want to request “Safety Dance” for sure, as I was kinda hoping it might have made the cut for the Clapping set.

Best as always,

Mark

One caveat: Taco is not a Turkey, it is a HFH and should never have appeared in that set.  But MWH I can certainly endorse.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 09:24:42 AM »
See now, I find nothing hellish about Taco on the Ritz, except that -- and I'd forgotten this -- there are people doing blackface in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG3PnQ3tgzY

SFGuy

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 11:59:17 PM »
What is the difference between a turkey and HFH?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 12:34:29 AM »
Quote from: "SFGuy"
What is the difference between a turkey and HFH?

from the Glossary:

HFH = "Hit from Hell" - A former hit song that now makes everyone cringe, quintessentially represented by Debbie Boone's "You Light Up My Life;" a subset in this category is the HFH - WGAGB (When Good Artists Go Bad): a Hit From Hell created by a Hall-of-Fame caliber artist, quintessentially represented by the Michael Jackson & Paul McCartney duet "The Girl Is Mine", (all together now "...that dog-gone girl is mine...")

Turkey = A Dave Morey original term for a song that is "dumb, but tasty", and which is the subject of an annual review, usually the day before Thanksgiving; traditional examples include "Mah Nah Mah Nah", "Safety Dance" & "Tubthumping;" not to be confused with a Guilty Pleasure or a Hit From Hell.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 10:02:16 AM »
DA! DA! DA! B! O! S!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 10:04:28 AM »
Dave stuffs his turkey with "Popcorn"!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 10:07:47 AM »
"Aint Got No Home" is one batshit record.