Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 401467 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #750 on: March 06, 2009, 10:51:41 AM »
Unwigged & Unplugged Tour! Comedy legends and some-time musicians Christopher Guest, Michael McKean & Harry Shearer will be at The Paramount in Oakland on April 22, performing songs from their films Spinal Tap and A Mighty Wind.  Check out their website: www.unwigged.com

It's turning out to be a good day. Just scored what I think are front row seats for their Portland show next month. Woohoo!
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 06, 2009, 10:57:05 AM »
Unwigged & Unplugged Tour! Comedy legends and some-time musicians Christopher Guest, Michael McKean & Harry Shearer will be at The Paramount in Oakland on April 22, performing songs from their films Spinal Tap and A Mighty Wind.  Check out their website: www.unwigged.com

It's turning out to be a good day. Just scored what I think are front row seats for their Portland show next month. Woohoo!

DUUUUDE!  We want pictures for sure!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 11, 2009, 09:16:30 PM »
Rod Stewart coming to San Jose Aug 4
Presale tomorrow at 10am, password: FOREVER

forever young? Nah
Sharks bleed teal.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 11, 2009, 09:33:28 PM »
And the Allman Brothers (not the Osmond Bros) are coming to the new Fox Theater in Oakland on May 12-13. Tix on sale this Sunday 10am, but presale tickets Thurs 3/12, 10am, through Sat 3/14, 11:59pm. See: www.ticketmaster.com/promo/fl6hok. Password: ramblin

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 11, 2009, 09:39:25 PM »
Rod Stewart coming to San Jose Aug 4
Presale tomorrow at 10am, password: FOREVER
forever young? Nah
I saw him there a couple years ago (in the round; actually quite a fun show).  By the way, I have a Kramer Focus electric guitar, hand signed by Rod Stewart for sale, $250. Contact me thru the Members link if you'd like more info.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 12, 2009, 07:47:29 AM »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 16, 2009, 09:03:17 PM »
I saw the Ting Tings tonight.  From their videos you might think they were all electropop programming, but they were LIVE LIVE ALL THE WAY LIVE; the cute guy beats the living hell out of his drums while the equally cute girl plays guitar as she shouts her lyrics.  They played other instruments too, and had a brass section for a few numbers.  Their energy level was a complete and utter delight.

Too bad their opening act, HotTub, was a complete and utter trainwreck.

Still well worth it.  Especially since I was in the attractive company of my workout partner.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 30, 2009, 11:42:39 AM »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 30, 2009, 12:24:08 PM »
Green Day: the Musical!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/30/theater/30berk.html?ref=theater

Not only that: If you read thru the article, it mentions that Berkeley Rep is also staging a musical theater adaptation of Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend album this fall. ?!?!?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 30, 2009, 12:46:32 PM »
Green Day: the Musical!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/30/theater/30berk.html?ref=theater

Not only that: If you read thru the article, it mentions that Berkeley Rep is also staging a musical theater adaptation of Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend album this fall. ?!?!?

I also noted that Quadrophenia opens on the London stage this spring.

I'm excited that the guy staging American Idiot is the guy who did Spring Awakening. Dunno how many here got to see SA when it played SF last year, but I saw in on B'way in 2007 and was quite blown away. Several of the best songs in it are quite Green Day-ish (one called "The Bitch of Life" and another called -- really -- "You're Fucked"), so the director's interest in Idiot makes perfect sense.  I know Gaz doesn't do much musical thater, but by now I'm sure SA is at the half-price TKTS booth and it's well worth a visit.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 13, 2009, 10:23:53 AM »
Green Day is playing the Fox in Oakland tomorrow night.  Tickets on sale at 5pm tonight, 2 ticket limit.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 16, 2009, 09:04:50 AM »
I saw the Derek Trucks Band last night at the Grand Ballroom at the Regency Center on Sutter and Van Ness (btw, is this room the famed Avalon Ballroom from the 60s?).   He's a great slide guitarist in the Duane Allman vein -- in fact I think he toured w the Allman Brothers.  I didn't really know his music that well, but I knew what to expect. 

He is fast, and he has a great band assembled, but after a while the whole jamminess of it gets a little tedious for me. He doesn't do much other than stand there looking a little hunched and awkward and playing slide guitar better than probably anyone else alive, but I was ready to leave after 90 minutes.  Then they brought out special guest Carlos Santana and he played w them for another half hour.. sah-weet!  a nice evening: drinks at McTeague's on Polk, then a little Indian food at Shalimar on Polk, then we traipsed over the venue for the guitar godliness.  ... And I rode my bike home in case you were wondering. :)

btw: the venue apparently does not have any free water: the bar sells bottles of water ($3) and there's no water fountain available.  Is this even legal?  I will send GoldenVoice a complaint.   

~CPL593H~

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 16, 2009, 09:18:19 AM »
I saw the Derek Trucks Band last night at the Grand Ballroom at the Regency Center on Sutter and Van Ness (btw, is this room the famed Avalon Ballroom from the 60s?).   He's a great slide guitarist in the Duane Allman vein -- in fact I think he toured w the Allman Brothers.  I didn't really know his music that well, but I knew what to expect. 

He is fast, and he has a great band assembled, but after a while the whole jamminess of it gets a little tedious for me. He doesn't do much other than stand there looking a little hunched and awkward and playing slide guitar better than probably anyone else alive, but I was ready to leave after 90 minutes.  Then they brought out special guest Carlos Santana and he played w them for another half hour.. sah-weet!  a nice evening: drinks at McTeague's on Polk, then a little Indian food at Shalimar on Polk, then we traipsed over the venue for the guitar godliness.  ... And I rode my bike home in case you were wondering. :)

btw: the venue apparently does not have any free water: the bar sells bottles of water ($3) and there's no water fountain available.  Is this even legal?  I will send GoldenVoice a complaint.   

Ooh, bonus guitarist.  Sounds great.  Trucks was a member of ABB for a while.  Totally understand the jamminess overload, I've experienced it with the ABB more than once (and will again in May).  Sometimes you need to end the damn song!

And you know, in California, you can get a DUI on your bicycle.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 16, 2009, 09:46:52 AM »
I saw the Derek Trucks Band last night at the Grand Ballroom at the Regency Center on Sutter and Van Ness (btw, is this room the famed Avalon Ballroom from the 60s?).   

Yes, the Grand was once known as the Avalon. In the meantime, for several decades it was the Regency II movie theater.

And not having water available for free may not be illegal, but it's pretty damn chintzy. Even the Fillmore, where they charge above market rate for EVERYTHING (except the apples, which, last I checked, were still free), has a big cistern at the end of the main bar with a stack of paper cups. Help yourself.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 16, 2009, 09:58:22 AM »

Ooh, bonus guitarist.  Sounds great.  Trucks was a member of ABB for a while.  Totally understand the jamminess overload, I've experienced it with the ABB more than once (and will again in May).  Sometimes you need to end the damn song!

And you know, in California, you can get a DUI on your bicycle.

Trucks pretty much grew up in the ABB.  I think I heard that he was 9 or something when he first took the stage with his Uncle Butch.

I wonder if he will show up at Kaboom, he's married to Susan Tedeschi.  And Carlos has been known to pop up on stage when Los LB's are in SF.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010