Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 399065 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #735 on: February 20, 2009, 01:59:11 PM »
Hey, just announced:
Jeff Beck at the Fox Theater in Oakland on April 23. General public tickets on sale this Sunday at 10am, with presale tickets on sale 2/19, 10am, through 2/21, 11:59pm.

Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood together at Oracle Arena Oakland on June 29. General public tickets go on sale March 2 at 10am, with presale tix available 2/26-28.

I bought tickets for Jeff Beck today.  Very excited.

In other news, the Yes (lite) tour has been cancelled, no show at the Fillmore.  Financially, I break about even.

Might do the Clapton/Winwood show...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 20, 2009, 03:17:16 PM »
Hey, just announced:
Jeff Beck at the Fox Theater in Oakland on April 23. General public tickets on sale this Sunday at 10am, with presale tickets on sale 2/19, 10am, through 2/21, 11:59pm.

Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood together at Oracle Arena Oakland on June 29. General public tickets go on sale March 2 at 10am, with presale tix available 2/26-28.

I bought tickets for Jeff Beck today.  Very excited.

In other news, the Yes (lite) tour has been cancelled, no show at the Fillmore.  Financially, I break about even.

Might do the Clapton/Winwood show...

Beck should be great--I've never seen him otherwise. Cross your fingers that Vinnie Colaiuta is on drums--he was with JB when I saw him at the Warfield a couple years ago, and he's amazing.

This was the first I'd heard about the Yes cancellation, but a little digging revealed that Chris Squire had leg surgery on the 11th, so it would appear that the show here in PDX last Saturday didn't happen either. Bummer. But I bet there were a lot of relieved wives and girlfriends who didn't have to sit thru the show while their prog-geek husbands/boyfriends got their Yes on.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #737 on: February 20, 2009, 03:56:51 PM »
I bet there were a lot of relieved wives and girlfriends who didn't have to sit thru the show while their prog-geek husbands/boyfriends got their Yes on.
ROTFLMAO
 ;D :D ;) :)
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 26, 2009, 10:46:53 AM »
In case Gaz will be back in NYC by Sunday (his blog says he's "out of town" tomorrow) here's his chance to see James Franco live and in the flesh:

http://www.wordtheatre.com/events/event.php?id=113
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 26, 2009, 11:56:06 AM »
In case Gaz will be back in NYC by Sunday (his blog says he's "out of town" tomorrow) here's his chance to see James Franco live and in the flesh:

http://www.wordtheatre.com/events/event.php?id=113

I'll be in DC for a mini college reunion ("friends are coming from Europe!").  Won't be back in time for this, alas, but thanks for the heads-up.

PS: James Franco mentioned on the Oscar red carpet that he was reading a sarcastic book about Celine Dion's "Let's Talk About Love" album.  I know the author of that book, Carl Wilson, and got drunk with him the last night of the EMP Pop Conference last year.  Good times ...
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 26, 2009, 12:17:49 PM »
James Franco mentioned on the Oscar red carpet that he was reading a sarcastic book about Celine Dion's "Let's Talk About Love" album.  I know the author of that book, Carl Wilson, and got drunk with him the last night of the EMP Pop Conference last year.  Good times ...

TANC-of the Week: a guy at my gym is reading that very book; we were talking about it yesterday.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 27, 2009, 11:29:04 AM »
an acquaintance who hails from England mentioned the upcoming 3/24 SF Independent show by Razorlight. 

Anyone familiar? 

the singer, Johnny Borrell, hails from The Libertines.

~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 01, 2009, 08:45:53 PM »
an acquaintance who hails from England mentioned the upcoming 3/24 SF Independent show by Razorlight. 

Anyone familiar? 

the singer, Johnny Borrell, hails from The Libertines.

I've heard two songs from them: a taking-itself-too-seriously emo anthem attempt called "America," and a mild but sweet cover of Sting's "Englishman in New York."  They seem to want to be big.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 04, 2009, 08:50:38 AM »
Got to Amoeba Monday night to see Chris Isaak do an in-store appearance.  I've always wanted to see him in person, so this was a treat.  The place was relatively packed, I'd say maybe 250 people there, spread out amongst the aisles.
good times!

He played his vintage Silvertone guitar and used a Silvertone amp (which shorted out a couple times, and Amoeba had a standby amp ready just in case.) Kenny used only a hand held snare and one brush, and provided nice backup singing and snarky quips.  It was like being on the set of the Chris Isaak Show.  He played a few songs from his new record, which seemed pretty good, but then again he doesn't necessarily stray too far from the Chris Isaak Formula.

He played Wicked Game, which missed the twangy lead guitar and the ethereal production you hear on record, and combine that with a few "whoops!" from the audience, and I realized how awesome that recording is.  He also rushed it and broke character a bit during the song -- which was a little disappointing --  like when the long held high note at the end was coming, he asked Kenny "Are we ready for this?" and Kenny said " Go for it!"  Then again, when you've played that song LITERALLY thousands of times, you can expect a little variation and fun.  He covered Roy Orbison's "Only The Lonely" whichis a perfect fit for him, and even did a couple verses and chorus of Elvis' "Old Shep" -- an EARLY EP song about a dog -- which was prompted by the presence of a fluffy lapdog held by some soccer mom in the audience.  There was lots of goofy banter with the audience, the guy's so likeable -- and he hit all the high notes.  Men want to be him, women want to be with him -- and some men, too. 

it was great!   I didn't buy the CD or stick around to see him do any signings-- he seemed to be taking a LONG time to come back out from the Green Room.   Perhaps he was back there getting re-energized?  Perhaps he keeps up that nice boy energy by doing some RedBull .. or maybe something more powerful?  :)  I keeed, I keeed!

Instead I went over to the Bargain Bin and got my hands on a $1.99 copy of Frampton Comes Alive, but I put it back, saying "forgive me Bob Mayo, but I can download this."
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 04, 2009, 08:57:55 AM »
Got to Amoeba Monday night to see Chris Isaak do an in-store appearance... 

TANC, I caught about 15 mins of his new TV show on the Biography Channel the other nite. He was interviewing Trisha "I totally stole Garth Brooks away from his wife" Yearwood. It really is a rip of what Elvis C is doing on Sundance, except it's on film instead of tape and there's no audience. And I thought "Chris is getting old and he's not going to age well."

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 04, 2009, 10:43:54 AM »
Got to Amoeba Monday night to see Chris Isaak do an in-store appearance... 

TANC, I caught about 15 mins of his new TV show on the Biography Channel the other nite. He was interviewing Trisha "I totally stole Garth Brooks away from his wife" Yearwood. It really is a rip of what Elvis C is doing on Sundance, except it's on film instead of tape and there's no audience. And I thought "Chris is getting old and he's not going to age well."

yeah, he's 56 years old and a surfer, out in the sun a lot.
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 05, 2009, 07:54:18 PM »
Unwigged & Unplugged Tour! Comedy legends and some-time musicians Christopher Guest, Michael McKean & Harry Shearer will be at The Paramount in Oakland on April 22, performing songs from their films Spinal Tap and A Mighty Wind.  Check out their website: www.unwigged.com
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 07:56:51 PM by Wayback »

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 05, 2009, 08:02:38 PM »
Hey, who here is going to see Paul & Ringo headline a show at Radio City:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7924392.stm

Plus, new Beatle videogame due 9/9; should be a huge seller!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090305/en_nm/us_beatles_videogame_1

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 05, 2009, 08:39:17 PM »
Unwigged & Unplugged Tour! Comedy legends and some-time musicians Christopher Guest, Michael McKean & Harry Shearer will be at The Paramount in Oakland on April 22, performing songs from their films Spinal Tap and A Mighty Wind.  Check out their website: www.unwigged.com

Weren't Guest, McKean & Shearer their own opening act during the last Spinal Tap tour, performing as their characters from (what would later become) A Mighty Wind?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: March 05, 2009, 10:25:14 PM »

Weren't Guest, McKean & Shearer their own opening act during the last Spinal Tap tour, performing as their characters from (what would later become) A Mighty Wind?

Yep, saw 'em at the Warfield opening for themselves as The Folksmen in about 2001. Catherine O'Hara was in absentia.
Let's get right to it.