Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 399158 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #720 on: January 15, 2009, 09:11:08 PM »
Hey prog fans (Mshray, yessongs) -- anyone else considering Yes at the fillmore, Monday March 2?  I will be there.

oh..?  I didn't know about this.  I am considering it now.

Yes at the Fillmore? Wow, in that room this has serious potential. Keep in mind however, this is Yes without Jon Anderson, who has been waylaid by some health issues and cannot tour. They've found a soundalike Jon and are continuing on without him, but I am told it ain't quite the same. However, as in the past, Yes has always held that no one in that band is irreplaceable. For instance, when Trevor Horne and Geoff Downes sat in for Anderson and Rick Wakeman for one album and tour, or when Steve Howe was commited to playing in Asia (the band, not the continent), so they got the thoroughly insipid Trevor Rabin to take over on guitar. In fact, I think the one member who has NEVER been replaced even temporarily is Chris Squire, although Alan White has been their drummer since Bill Bruford quit in the early 70s. (ABWH notwithstanding of course.)

All that said, I'd still go, so long as tickets are under $60 apiece.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 09:14:17 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
All the Old Dudes
« Reply #721 on: January 16, 2009, 12:56:53 PM »
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 16, 2009, 01:58:15 PM »
Hey prog fans (Mshray, yessongs) -- anyone else considering Yes at the fillmore, Monday March 2?  I will be there.

oh..?  I didn't know about this.  I am considering it now.

Yes at the Fillmore? Wow, in that room this has serious potential. Keep in mind however, this is Yes without Jon Anderson, who has been waylaid by some health issues and cannot tour. They've found a soundalike Jon and are continuing on without him, but I am told it ain't quite the same. However, as in the past, Yes has always held that no one in that band is irreplaceable. For instance, when Trevor Horne and Geoff Downes sat in for Anderson and Rick Wakeman for one album and tour, or when Steve Howe was commited to playing in Asia (the band, not the continent), so they got the thoroughly insipid Trevor Rabin to take over on guitar. In fact, I think the one member who has NEVER been replaced even temporarily is Chris Squire, although Alan White has been their drummer since Bill Bruford quit in the early 70s. (ABWH notwithstanding of course.)

All that said, I'd still go, so long as tickets are under $60 apiece.

you're in luck: they're $59.50

... and they're billed as "Howe, Squire & White of Yes"
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 02:00:26 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 26, 2009, 11:26:57 AM »
For you country types, Chris Hillman & Herb Pedersen will be at Yoshii's SF next Mon & Tue. 
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 26, 2009, 09:27:07 PM »
Springsteen opens his "Working On A Dream" 2009 Tour at HP in San Jose April 1 (tix on sale Feb 2): http://www.backstreets.com/tour.html

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 27, 2009, 07:44:07 AM »
Springsteen opens his "Working On A Dream" 2009 Tour at HP in San Jose April 1 (tix on sale Feb 2): http://www.backstreets.com/tour.html

KFOG's giving away tix, y'know.  You have to listen to Annalisa (you phenomenal human being, you!).

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 27, 2009, 09:25:14 AM »

KFOG's giving away tix, y'know.  You have to listen to Annalisa (you phenomenal human being, you!).

oy.. 

they gave away Bruce tix yesterday on the 9 o'clock pop quiz.  My Three Songs (guess the connection):

1. Bruce - Prove it  all Night
2. Billy Joel - Moving Out
3. Melissa Ehteredge - I'm the Only One

No one was getting it, they went through two rounds of on air-responses. 
Most people were saying "they're all from New Jersey?"   "They all played -- or will play the Stupor Bowl?"  Finally, the morning show crew hammered home the give-away clue by repeating "Gung Hay Fat Choy!" and then Peter said "The connections has nothing to do w the songs."

I tried then to call in b/c I knew the answer: the artists were all born the Year Of The Ox, which started this past weekend.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 02:38:34 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Niyaz
« Reply #728 on: January 29, 2009, 09:20:52 PM »
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 06, 2009, 02:34:57 PM »
Going to the grand re-opening of the Fox Theater in Oakland tonight for a little Social Distortion.  Should be fun.  Revues Reviews (of the venue and the act) to come...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 06, 2009, 02:49:56 PM »
Going to the grand re-opening of the Fox Theater in Oakland tonight for a little Social Distortion.  Should be fun.  Revues Reviews (of the venue and the act) to come...

I work just down the street -- sure looks great from the outside.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 08, 2009, 09:25:53 PM »

Very jealous!  I loves me some Social D.  Wonder what Gaz thinks of that album of theirs that I talked him into buying at Amoeba 2 months ago?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 08, 2009, 09:55:06 PM »

Very jealous!  I loves me some Social D.  Wonder what Gaz thinks of that album of theirs that I talked him into buying at Amoeba 2 months ago?
I woulda liked to have seen/heard Social D too!
Review?
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 09, 2009, 03:29:43 PM »

I woulda liked to have seen/heard Social D too!
Review?

I don't have a lot of time -- let's just say Social D was awesome.  Great energy and loud, just a lot of fun.  The Fox looks great, but we didn't get there very early so I didn't get a chance to wander around much and check it out.  Pretty much rooted to a spot for most of the time I was there.  Well, not rooted, as I was bouncing up and down and head-banging.  But pretty much in one spot.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 17, 2009, 11:30:10 AM »
Hey, just announced:
Jeff Beck at the Fox Theater in Oakland on April 23. General public tickets on sale this Sunday at 10am, with presale tickets on sale 2/19, 10am, through 2/21, 11:59pm.

Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood together at Oracle Arena Oakland on June 29. General public tickets go on sale March 2 at 10am, with presale tix available 2/26-28.