Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 399122 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #705 on: December 04, 2008, 07:27:10 PM »
It happened this week...
Stones Insider Pins Altamont Fracas on Cops
On Dec 6, 1969, four people died at a Rolling Stones concert at the Altamont Speedway in Livermore, California. One of the victims was stabbed by a Hell's Angel.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081205/en_nm/us_stones_1

and a related item:
Baird Bryant, the revered documentary filmmaker/cinematographer who captured the stabbing at the Rolling Stones' Altamont show in California in 1969, died Nov 18, 2008. He was 80.
http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/filmmaker%20bryant%20dead_1086864

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: December 11, 2008, 09:43:27 AM »
Saw Los Lobos at the Filmore last Friday night.  They rocked the joint.  My buddy says this was more thier rocker edition, rather than the more latino flavored show they sometimes do, depending upon the audience (theory).  They closed with a long, rockin' version of "Dear Mr. Fantasy" that was a joy to behold.

David Lindley opened, just him, a microphone and several stringed instruments.  One was a guitar, but I'm not sure on the others -- a mandolin on steroids and what might have been a lute?  I don't know.  But he's talented little hobbit-man (he could have been an extra in TLOTR without going to makeup), technically amazing, if a little dull.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 09:57:51 AM by Rod »
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: December 11, 2008, 10:00:17 AM »
David Lindley opened

what sort of shoes was mr. dave wearing?

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 11, 2008, 10:05:28 AM »
David Lindley opened

shoes that look like hairy feet?
~CPL593H~

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: December 11, 2008, 10:09:20 AM »
David Lindley opened

The filmore isn't a great venue for checking out the footwear of the artists.  Unless you are upstairs.  So I never saw his feet.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #710 on: December 11, 2008, 10:14:29 AM »
Saw Los Lobos at the Filmore last Friday night.  They rocked the joint.  My buddy says this was more thier rocker edition, rather than the more latino flavored show they sometimes do, depending upon the audience (theory).  They closed with a long, rockin' version of "Dear Mr. Fantasy" that was a joy to behold.

David Lindley opened, just him, a microphone and several stringed instruments.  One was a guitar, but I'm not sure on the others -- a mandolin on steroids and what might have been a lute?  I don't know.  But he's talented little hobbit-man (he could have been an extra in TLOTR without going to makeup), technically amazing, if a little dull.

sounds like a great show.  Perhaps it was an off night, as dull is not a word I think of for DL.  His lap steel work on some of the early Jackson Browne recordings can bring me to tears, and his Tele solo on Wooden Ships when I saw the Crosby/Nash band live an eon ago was jaw-dropping. 
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: December 11, 2008, 10:28:20 AM »
sounds like a great show.  Perhaps it was an off night, as dull is not a word I think of for DL.  His lap steel work on some of the early Jackson Browne recordings can bring me to tears, and his Tele solo on Wooden Ships when I saw the Crosby/Nash band live an eon ago was jaw-dropping. 

Or maybe I wasn't in the mood quite yet.  Takes some time (and a couple of adult beverages) to transition from the workday to concert mode.  He had mad skills, but wasn't reaching me somehow. 
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: December 22, 2008, 10:30:03 AM »
So I went to the Sharks game Sat nite, and the jumbotron outside HP Pavilion is flashing ads fro upcoming events: Celine Dion, Britney, etc. But one concert catches my eye: Jeff Dunham. Whothehell goes to a hockey rink to see... a ventriloquist? Yeah he's amusing on TV but... in an arena? WTF? Kinda like seeing a magician do card tricks at AT&T Park.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: December 22, 2008, 11:27:08 AM »
So I went to the Sharks game Sat nite, and the jumbotron outside HP Pavilion is flashing ads fro upcoming events: Celine Dion, Britney, etc. But one concert catches my eye: Jeff Dunham. Whothehell goes to a hockey rink to see... a ventriloquist? Yeah he's amusing on TV but... in an arena? WTF? Kinda like seeing a magician do card tricks at AT&T Park.

heh, I'm sure most people who go to this will be watching the jumbotron (or whatever other huge-ass monitors they have set up) to see the magic that is Jeff Dunham.
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: December 22, 2008, 12:27:02 PM »
Last week I saw Mercury Rev at the Independent in SF.   Very loud and bright show.  It's a small club, but these guys bring enough lights and projection gear to be able to light up a larger stage.  However, they're kind of an acquired taste, and to my knowledge have never been really popular, so two nights at the Independent is a good thing. 

They've been around since the late 80s, but my first exposure to them came maybe 3-4 years ago when I heard their song "The Dark Is Rising" on KUSF (or maybe some internet radio station) and I thought, "gee I really like this song, the bombastic strings, the melodramatic structure and uber-romantic lyrics sung by this guy's head voice/falsetto" ...

I dug a little deeper and discovered that David Fridmann helped form the group.  He produces lots of "indie" stuff (I actually hate that term, and I'm sorry I just used it) including The Flaming Lips -- so being a Lips fan, the deal was sealed. 

Their music was synched to a film clip/montage projection presentation that filled the wall behind the five piece band: wall of noise guitar, keys, excellent bass player (played sans pick, thank you very much) and drummer who liked to rock out.  The singer, Jonzthan Donahue, sings w a high "head" voice that will sometimes go falsetto (as opposed to your normal chest voice), and likes to sort of conduct the other guys with these wizard-like arm gestures (think of someone like Harry Potter throwing fireballs w both hands and shouting "Sha-Zam!").  They have an unabashed dramatic style, lyrics that may not go too deep, but they want to set a transformative feeling and mood, and give whatever substances you may be on a nice, loud place to explore.  I drank water.

The Duke Spirit opened.  Super cool band, lots of coolness in the attitudes, but they're great.  they do a sort of shoegazey/velvets/Bjork thing -- the singer's cheekbones could cut glass (and she knows it). 

It was a fine time, and I know at least one person here (urth) who wanted to go, so I wrote this w him in mind...  :)

happy hanukah!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 12:31:41 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: December 22, 2008, 03:54:35 PM »
Excellent account of the show, TC--thanks for the blow-by-blow. Sounds like you made the most of it. I've enjoyed them immensely the times I've seen 'em, but haven't managed to for several years. They're quite popular in Europe, but haven't broken thru here in the US, and in fact seem to be going the other direction (they played Bimbo's and the Fillmore when I've seen em, so the Independent is a step down the ladder capacity-wise).

If anyone's into checking them out, I'd recommend All Is Dream, which has been out 7-8 years or so I think. They're kind of psychedelic/prog, and as TC said, the singer is kind of a trip in an ethereal sort of way.
Let's get right to it.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: January 13, 2009, 05:55:17 PM »
Fleetwood Mac will tour in 2009, first time in five years. 16 dates announced so far, starting March 1 in Pittsburgh.  No West Coast dates yet, stay tuned at
http://www.fleetwoodmac.com/

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: January 14, 2009, 11:08:09 PM »
Fleetwood Mac will tour in 2009, first time in five years. 16 dates announced so far, starting March 1 in Pittsburgh.  No West Coast dates yet, stay tuned at
http://www.fleetwoodmac.com/
I saw Lindsey last year at the Mtn Winery. Good show. Maybe he was warming up for the Fmac tour?
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: January 15, 2009, 03:42:10 PM »
Hey prog fans (Mshray, yessongs) -- anyone else considering Yes at the fillmore, Monday March 2?  I will be there.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 15, 2009, 04:35:38 PM »
Hey prog fans (Mshray, yessongs) -- anyone else considering Yes at the fillmore, Monday March 2?  I will be there.

oh..?  I didn't know about this.  I am considering it now.
~CPL593H~