Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 399119 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #555 on: February 05, 2008, 04:11:03 PM »
Hey is anyone (Rod?) for sure planning to attend the Joe Jackson concert?  I want to go very badly, but optimal would be if someone else could get me a ticket & then I can pretend to my wife that it wasn't my idea.  I'll reimburse you gladly, just don't tell her!

Sounds like a plan. 

Hmmm, tickets no longer available?  Crap.

:'(
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Police/Elvis Costello here 7/08
« Reply #556 on: February 15, 2008, 11:52:01 AM »
Police with Elvis Costello opening! 7/14 Shoreline, 7/16 Concord. On sale this Sunday 2/24.

Police, Elvis Costello ready to rock Concord
02/14/2008 12:53:26 PM PST
The Police, who reunited for last year's top-grossing concert tour, have announced plans for a new concert tour that includes stops in Concord and Mountain View. One key change: The opening act on this tour will be Elvis Costello.
Original Police men Sting, Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland will perform July 14 at Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View and July 16 at the Sleep Train Pavilion in Concord.
Tickets for both shows go on sale at 10 a.m. Feb. 24 through Live Nation and Ticketmaster outlets. The prices will range from a very reasonable $46.50 for general admission lawn seating to a whopping $231.50 for top reserved seats. Contact 510-625-8497, 925-685-8497, www.ticketmaster.com or www.livenation.com.
These shows come 13 months after the Police's last Bay Area visit, which fell on June 13 at McAfee Coliseum in Oakland. That East Bay date was a phenomenal commercial success -- all 46,500 tickets sold out in less than one hour. The Shoreline and Sleep Train are much smaller venues (each less than half the capacity of McAfee), thus tickets are expected to move fast.
www.contracostatimes.com/entertainmentnewsletter/ci_8262297

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Police/Elvis Costello here 7/08
« Reply #557 on: February 15, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »
Police with Elvis Costello opening! 7/14 Shoreline, 7/16 Concord. On sale this Sunday 2/24.

The Police, who reunited for last year's top-grossing concert tour, have announced plans for a new concert tour that includes stops in Concord and Mountain View. One key change: The opening act on this tour will be Elvis Costello.
Original Police men Sting, Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland will perform July 14 at Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View and July 16 at the Sleep Train Pavilion in Concord.
Tickets for both shows go on sale at 10 a.m. Feb. 24 through Live Nation and Ticketmaster outlets. The prices will range from a very reasonable $46.50 for general admission lawn seating to a whopping $231.50 for top reserved seats. Contact 510-625-8497, 925-685-8497, www.ticketmaster.com or www.livenation.com.
These shows come 13 months after the Police's last Bay Area visit, which fell on June 13 at McAfee Coliseum in Oakland. That East Bay date was a phenomenal commercial success -- all 46,500 tickets sold out in less than one hour. The Shoreline and Sleep Train are much smaller venues (each less than half the capacity of McAfee), thus tickets are expected to move fast.

Wow!  a bit too rich for my blood, tho'.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Robin Trower @ the Fillmore
« Reply #558 on: February 15, 2008, 12:13:01 PM »
Saw Trower last night.  One of the great things about instrumentalists is that their skills don't suffer as much the ravages of time as voacalists do.  So, where you might complain that, say,  Robert Plant has lost his pipes over the years, I am happy to report that Robin doesn't seem to be suffering from arthiritis much.  His skills -- and talent -- are pretty much intact.

Of course, a Trower concert aint for everybody, but if your into guitar gods, it was a very satisfying evening.  Even so, I found my mind wandering on some of the more extended solos (the 10 minute solo in the middle of "Bridge of Sighs", ferinstance), and the number of down-tempo tunes becomes a bit hypnotic and monotonous.  I was also struck by the realization that every song from Bridge of Sighs is better than almost every other song from his other albums.  The forays into the other albums usually consisted of title tracks -- "Victims of the Fury" is a very nice uptempo rocker with a couple of incendiary solos, and "For Earth Below" is another extended dirge with impressive mood -- which, as usual, are the best tracks on the albums.  In any event, even the tunes that weren't shining examples of songcraft were redeemed for the few moments Trower stepped forward.  In fact, that's how I think these songs were written -- Trower has an idea for some guitarwork with this rhythm and key and mood, so let's write a song around it.  So the songs themselves don't end up being that interesting, but the guitar solos are awesome.

Anyway, highlights were "Fool In Me", "Day of The Eagle", "Victims of the Fury", "Little Bit of Sympathy" (last song of the set), and "Too Rolling Stoned" (first song of the 3 song encore).  Also, from his first album Twice Removed From Yesterday, a song called "Hannah" that featured one of the more amazing guitar solos I've ever seen or heard.  Intricate left hand technique and extensive use of wah wah -- Jimi would have been proud.

Also notable -- Robin never changes guitars, using the same old beat up Strat  throughout the show.

And finally, I'm heading up to Konocti tomorrow morning with another set of friends who have a cabin on the lake, so I'll see it all over again tomorrow night.  Woohoo!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:15:17 PM by Rod »
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 15, 2008, 01:05:06 PM »

Yeah, have to agree. I love Costello, but can't quite pull the trigger on what will probably be close to 3 bills with "convenience fees" for a decent seat, and the Police just aren't that big a draw for me these days.
Let's get right to it.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 15, 2008, 01:13:01 PM »

Yeah, have to agree. I love Costello, but can't quite pull the trigger on what will probably be close to 3 bills with "convenience fees" for a decent seat, and the Police just aren't that big a draw for me these days.
Lawn at Concord is just fine with me; they have jumboTV's & the sound's fine for an outdoor venue. I prefer it over Shoreline driving/parking hassles. I missed Police here last June and Elvis here last May.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 14, 2008, 08:40:58 AM »
OMG! it's Tales of the City -- the Musical!  The guy who wrote Avenue Q is teaming up with Jason Sellards and John Garden of Scissor Sisters to do an adaptation of the Armistead Maupin classic.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 20, 2008, 10:53:57 AM »
Saw an ad in the Chron this am--Mudcrutch (Tom Petty's pre-Heartbreakers band) is playing the Fillmore for two nights in mid-April. (Yes, Tom is on board.) Now that's totally out of left field.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 20, 2008, 10:57:53 AM »
Saw an ad in the Chron this am--Mudcrutch (Tom Petty's pre-Heartbreakers band) is playing the Fillmore for two nights in mid-April. (Yes, Tom is on board.) Now that's totally out of left field.

and didja know Blue Oyster Cult are playin' at Slim's?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 20, 2008, 03:28:06 PM »

Btw, if anyone comes across the pre-sale password for this, I'd be ever grateful.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 25, 2008, 08:52:18 AM »
Just received this press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

OUTSIDE LANDS ANNOUNCES ARTIST LINEUP
FOR INAUGURAL EVENT ...

KFOG's been promoting this for a couple of weeks already.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 25, 2008, 08:53:13 AM »
Just received this press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

OUTSIDE LANDS ANNOUNCES ARTIST LINEUP
FOR INAUGURAL EVENT ...

KFOG's been promoting this for a couple of weeks already.

Zapped.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: April 01, 2008, 09:46:03 AM »
Friday night (4/4) at Bay Meadows: the battle of the AC/DC tribute bands!  High Voltage vs. AC/D-She!  Duuuuude!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: April 01, 2008, 09:57:49 AM »
Friday night (4/4) at Bay Meadows: the battle of the AC/DC tribute bands!  High Voltage vs. AC/D-She!  Duuuuude!
Might have to check that out! Is it the "Fridays Alive" promo with dollar beers!?
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: April 01, 2008, 10:01:16 AM »
Might have to check that out! Is it the "Fridays Alive" promo with dollar beers!?

I believe so.