Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 403704 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #525 on: October 29, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Heard a guy in thev 6:00 hour call in to say that when Patti sang her one solo number "everybody got up and went to the bathroom" LOL!

Her number come up in a run of several songs from the new album & people were going to the bathroom pretty continuously (I was on an aisle seat, so it was pretty obvious) before during & after her song (which I rather liked).  Another factor is that now that everyone is older, there was practically zero toking going on, but lots of beer drinking (even at $7.75! for a bottle of Bud).  The whole Arena smelled like beer, which meant lots of bathroom runs.

I went with three others and I was the only one not voicing any disappointment. I thought Bruce gave it his all. I wished for different classic songs but it was still Bruce. The band was tight. The drums and guitars wowed me.
Didn't notice anyone near me making bathroom runs but there was lots of puffery.  Maybe all were too stoned to walk! To my right and also in front were couples definitely in their 60's, maybe 70's. Old guy even flicked his Bic! Loved it! I so hope to be rocking for another 30 years.
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #526 on: October 30, 2007, 08:17:49 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Heard a guy in thev 6:00 hour call in to say that when Patti sang her one solo number "everybody got up and went to the bathroom" LOL!

Her number come up in a run of several songs from the new album & people were going to the bathroom pretty continuously (I was on an aisle seat, so it was pretty obvious) before during & after her song (which I rather liked).  Another factor is that now that everyone is older, there was practically zero toking going on, but lots of beer drinking (even at $7.75! for a bottle of Bud).  The whole Arena smelled like beer, which meant lots of bathroom runs.

I went with three others and I was the only one not voicing any disappointment. I thought Bruce gave it his all. I wished for different classic songs but it was still Bruce. The band was tight. The drums and guitars wowed me.
Didn't notice anyone near me making bathroom runs but there was lots of puffery.  Maybe all were too stoned to walk! To my right and also in front were couples definitely in their 60's, maybe 70's. Old guy even flicked his Bic! Loved it! I so hope to be rocking for another 30 years.

No complaints in our group.  Was fine.  And if Bruce doesn't do 4 hour shows anymore, I can't do them either.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #527 on: November 01, 2007, 10:04:21 AM »

Hey Ali!  Just noticed your messages on my phone last night...  Wasn't ignoring you, really, just not very good with my cell phone.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #528 on: November 01, 2007, 10:16:58 PM »
Almost a week later! LOL!
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #529 on: November 02, 2007, 09:25:41 AM »
Almost a week later! LOL!

Yeah, pretty lame.  :oops:
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #530 on: November 06, 2007, 08:14:15 AM »
Per a Chronicle review by Lee Hildebrand (not a Chron staffer like, say, Selvin), Miss Ross is still The Boss:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article/comments/view?f=/c/a/2007/11/05/DDSGT6NTR.DTL&o=1

But I had to laugh at this line:  "Go, girl!" women cried out between songs...  Uh, Mr Hilderbrand? Those weren't women.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #531 on: November 11, 2007, 11:41:30 AM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #532 on: November 19, 2007, 10:46:27 AM »
Wow, the KFOG Concert for Kids is sold out -- can't remember the last time that happened in less than a week

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #533 on: November 21, 2007, 08:42:05 AM »
If any of you are big enough fans to plan vacation time around this: I just heard from friends that Sparks are doing a run of 21 shows in London in May-June 2008, in which one by one, they'll perform each of their albums in its entirety.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #534 on: November 21, 2007, 08:51:00 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
If any of you are big enough fans to plan vacation time around this: I just heard from friends that Sparks are doing a run of 21 shows in London in May-June 2008, in which one by one, they'll perform each of their albums in its entirety.

that town ain't big enuf for the both of them!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #535 on: November 21, 2007, 12:04:44 PM »
Led Zep to tour? Ian Astbury of the Cult says it's so:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1574740/20071120/led_zeppelin.jhtml

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #536 on: November 21, 2007, 10:53:34 PM »
Mrs Garrett herself, Charlotte Rae, is playing the Plush Room next month. Betcha Dave gets her on the Morning Show.

"I don't do windows and I don't do boys!"

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #537 on: November 22, 2007, 01:15:57 AM »
Mrs Garrett herself, Charlotte Rae, is playing the Plush Room next month. Betcha Dave gets her on the Morning Show.

"I don't do windows and I don't do boys!"

damn!damn!damn!

someone please go and take pictures! and tell her i love her!!!!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #538 on: November 30, 2007, 09:39:53 AM »
Saw Ozomatli last night at the Fillmore.  Little tired this morning, so i can't conjure much energy to describe it here.  Suffice it to say they were a highly energetic nine piece bad and I had a great time.  It's world music, and reminded me at times of Oingo Boingo, with a little rap mixed in.  Not a big fan of rap, but it wasn't pervasive, and did not detract from the performance at all.  Also, didn't mind that the songs were mostly in spanish.  It was all about the energy and musicianship.

They're playin' the rest of the weekend, if you have a spare evening.  I think they have different opening bands each night, but if they have the same opener as last night (pervasive, bad rap), arrive fashionably late.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #539 on: December 10, 2007, 12:19:40 PM »
Joel Selvin raves about Ronnie Spector's show Sat nite:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/12/10/DD53TR6UC.DTL

TANC, she even did "Say Goodbye to H'wood"!