Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 399052 times)

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #1620 on: June 13, 2013, 09:58:38 PM »
Never say never:
http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/blogs/211296491.html

(Closest date to the west coast is Denver, but don't be surprised if there are more should these go well.)

I saw them on the '87 tour that was in the picture in the linked article. They weren't that good.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: September 05, 2013, 11:13:56 AM »
My buddy just scored us tickets to The Black Crowes on December 14 at the Bill Graham Civic.  Also on the bill -- paging Geoff -- is the Tedeschi Trucks Band.  Pretty psyched.

BTW, last week's Heart show was a good time.  Jason Bonham's Led Zep experience played about 5 Zep tunes, and they rocked pretty well.  Heart's main set was generally a Best of Heart extravaganza, with a couple of less known tracks thrown in.  Ann's voice was in fine form -- "Dog and Butterfly" sounded especially good to me.  For the encore, Jason came back out, and we had 5 more Zep tunes (finished with Kashmir and then, of course, Stairway). 

All in all, a fine night featuring Ann's vocals and Jason's drumming.  Unfortunately, there was apparently no budget for a top flight guitarist.  My friend asked if they just picked up someone who was busking at a BART station.  It wasn't that bad, but the best I can say for the guitar-work was 'professional.'
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: September 05, 2013, 11:24:44 AM »
last week's Heart show was a good time.  Jason Bonham's Led Zep experience played about 5 Zep tunes, and they rocked pretty well.  Heart's main set was generally a Best of Heart extravaganza, with a couple of less known tracks thrown in.  Ann's voice was in fine form -- "Dog and Butterfly" sounded especially good to me.  For the encore, Jason came back out, and we had 5 more Zep tunes (finished with Kashmir and then, of course, Stairway). 

yeah, Ann's love of Zep is legend -- wait for it -- dary.  I saw them in Central Park, summer of '77 and they encored with "Rock'n'Roll". She'd recently gotten flack at the time for saying she wanted to be Robert Plant, but I say Be Who You Wanna BE, gurl!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: September 05, 2013, 02:01:57 PM »
My buddy just scored us tickets to The Black Crowes on December 14 at the Bill Graham Civic.  Also on the bill -- paging Geoff -- is the Tedeschi Trucks Band.  Pretty psyched.

Was he the one who knew the title of "Remedy" this morning?

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: September 05, 2013, 03:36:25 PM »

Nah.  By scored, I just meant he went in and got us tickets from ticketmaster.  Misleading on my part.  But the last time the Crowes were in town, no joy in ticketville.  And I am fired up about Tedeschi Trucks...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1625 on: September 05, 2013, 10:35:41 PM »

Nah.  By scored, I just meant he went in and got us tickets from ticketmaster.  Misleading on my part.  But the last time the Crowes were in town, no joy in ticketville.  And I am fired up about Tedeschi Trucks...
Damn!  Sounds like a great show, at least for TTB.  I'm not such a Black Crowes fan.  Reserved seats or general admission?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: June 29, 2016, 05:08:53 PM »
I see that R. Kelley is playing Oracle on his "Buffet Tour".  I think he should open with "Cheeseburger in Paradise".
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: January 13, 2017, 03:19:44 PM »
Just reviving this thread so I can wish the Tower of Power guys a speedy recovery.  I was at Sunday's show (satisfying, as always), and while I was hanging around outside for a while prior to the show, a couple of trains went by.  You'd expect it would be pretty hard to get hit by one of those trains (they aren't going that fast, they are blowing their horn, it's hard not to notice them), but I guess it was an unusual set of circumstances - they waited for a train going one way, and did not notice the other train coming from the other direction.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Tower-of-Power-members-hit-by-Amtrak-train-10856042.php
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: March 10, 2017, 01:59:03 PM »
Just reviving this thread so I can wish the Tower of Power guys a speedy recovery.  I was at Sunday's show (satisfying, as always), and while I was hanging around outside for a while prior to the show, a couple of trains went by.  You'd expect it would be pretty hard to get hit by one of those trains (they aren't going that fast, they are blowing their horn, it's hard not to notice them), but I guess it was an unusual set of circumstances - they waited for a train going one way, and did not notice the other train coming from the other direction.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Tower-of-Power-members-hit-by-Amtrak-train-10856042.php
I wonder how they're doing.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: November 19, 2017, 03:08:52 PM »
Went to see Tedeschi Trucks Band last night at the Fox.  The highlight for me was the cover of Neil Young's "Alabama".  Inspired.  It was followed by "I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free" where the backup singers got their moments in the spotlight.  Combined, it was both transcendent and heartbreaking.  And thoroughly topical.

Speaking of Heartbreakers, they also covered "You Don't Know How It Feels" in a mini tribute to Tom Petty. Wasn't a highlight, exactly, but a heartfelt tribute.

Susan Tedeschi is improving as a guitarist, and brought the house down when, after a competent and extended solo, she continued with the guitar behind the head trick.  Jimi Hendrix she ain't, but it was a fun moment.

Excellent show, Derek was awesome, there were flute solos, trumpet solos, organ solos, etc. etc. And Susan was in fine voice.

and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: November 20, 2017, 12:03:47 PM »
Went to see Tedeschi Trucks Band last night at the Fox.  The highlight for me was the cover of Neil Young's "Alabama".  Inspired.  It was followed by "I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free" where the backup singers got their moments in the spotlight.  Combined, it was both transcendent and heartbreaking.  And thoroughly topical.

Speaking of Heartbreakers, they also covered "You Don't Know How It Feels" in a mini tribute to Tom Petty. Wasn't a highlight, exactly, but a heartfelt tribute.

Susan Tedeschi is improving as a guitarist, and brought the house down when, after a competent and extended solo, she continued with the guitar behind the head trick.  Jimi Hendrix she ain't, but it was a fun moment.

Excellent show, Derek was awesome, there were flute solos, trumpet solos, organ solos, etc. etc. And Susan was in fine voice.

Sounds like a great show. For me, TTB is probably the hottest live band right now, but I have extremely limited sampling data in the last few years!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: November 21, 2017, 10:13:27 AM »

Sounds like a great show. For me, TTB is probably the hottest live band right now, but I have extremely limited sampling data in the last few years!

Heard nothing but good things about them, but I have yet to see them in person. Time was, I'd have been all over that, but I guess the years are starting to catch up with me. Next tour for sure.
Let's get right to it.