Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 402374 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #1590 on: October 01, 2012, 06:53:28 PM »
Holee crap !  My prayers have been answered (maybe)!!!!!
http://www.holymoly.com/music/news/smiths-will-reform-2013-confirmed-several-sources-rumour-glastonbury64478

yes -- amazingly awesome!

And how nice to see you again on this end of the interweb.  ;)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: October 02, 2012, 06:56:49 AM »
Holee crap !  My prayers have been answered (maybe)!!!!!
http://www.holymoly.com/music/news/smiths-will-reform-2013-confirmed-several-sources-rumour-glastonbury64478

yes -- amazingly awesome!

And how nice to see you again on this end of the interweb.  ;)

Er...nevermind!   :'(
http://www.nme.com/news/the-smiths/66416

Hi Mike!  Everybody! 

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: October 06, 2012, 09:06:42 AM »
Went to the sold out New Order show with none other than Dred last night!  They were fabulous...Bernard Sumner still sounds great.  No Peter Hook though.  :(  Too bad the folks at the Fox can't do something about their crappy sound.  Wanted to meet Radical there, but arrived too late and left right away.  This concert was a dream come true for me.  I love them so!

Here's the setlist:

Elegia
Crystal
Ceremony
Close Range
Age of Consent
Isolation
(Joy Division cover)
Here to Stay
Your Silent Face
Bizarre Love Triangle
True Faith
The Perfect Kiss
Blue Monday
Temptation

Encore:
Atmosphere
(Joy Division cover)
Love Will Tear Us Apart
(Joy Division cover)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: December 05, 2012, 08:14:14 AM »
Saw Taj Majal with SG last night.  Wow!  I don't know his "hits" and I probably couldn't even pick his song out of a lineup if you played one and asked me to identify it, but what a great show.  The guy can play many styles, delta blues, African high life, something like a claw hammer banjo style, even bluesy piano.  He was solo, and I was afraid it might get a little tedious, but perish the thought. Nothing but good stuff.  There was abs no cameras, phones, etc allowed inside, and the crowd was really well-behaved (for once): when taj was quiet, everyone else was, too.  He had our rapt attn the whole time.  He was funny, chatty, informative, told good stories, took requests, mugged for the crowd, did impressions, played his ace off.  So glad I went.....

I had seen him do an in-store at amoeba a couple of years back and he did nothing but entertain the crowd 100%. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:23:34 AM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1594 on: December 05, 2012, 10:18:43 AM »
Saw Taj Majal with SG last night.  Wow!  I don't know his "hits" and I probably couldn't even pick his song out of a lineup if you played one and asked me to identify it, but what a great show.  The guy can play many styles, delta blues, African high life, something like a claw hammer banjo style, even bluesy piano.  He was solo, and I was afraid it might get a little tedious, but perish the thought. Nothing but good stuff.  There was abs no cameras, phones, etc allowed inside, and the crowd was really well-behaved (for once): when taj was quiet, everyone else was, too.  He had our rapt attn the whole time.  He was funny, chatty, informative, told good stories, took requests, mugged for the crowd, did impressions, played his ace off.  So glad I went.....

I had seen him do an in-store at amoeba a couple of years back and he did nothing but entertain the crowd 100%.
"like!"
I saw him at the closing of the Fillmore West, great show.  Met him in person up at another musician's house in Marin years ago, and didn't even know it was him I was talking to until he told me.  Very nice guy.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: December 05, 2012, 11:26:04 AM »

Really great shew.  Great date night, too.   :)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: December 05, 2012, 12:14:24 PM »

I saw him a couple months ago at the Russian River Blues Fest.  He was very good, though by mid-afternoon on the second day I wasn't really much of a critical thinker -- pretty much everything was good at that point.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: December 05, 2012, 01:42:10 PM »

As I'm sure Geoff will attest, he was quite the staple of free-form FM back in the day. Songs like "Corinna", "Take a Giant Step" (also done by the Monkees) and "Six days on the Road" got tons of airplay alongside Zep, the Moodies, Joan Baez and Tom Paxton... by the end of the '70s the political/folkie types had fallen off radio's radar and prog-FM had become AOR.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: December 05, 2012, 10:06:21 PM »

As I'm sure Geoff will attest, he was quite the staple of free-form FM back in the day. Songs like "Corinna", "Take a Giant Step" (also done by the Monkees) and "Six days on the Road" got tons of airplay alongside Zep, the Moodies, Joan Baez and Tom Paxton... by the end of the '70s the political/folkie types had fallen off radio's radar and prog-FM had become AOR.

he did Corinna and TAGS (my favorite -- I vowed to learn it on guitar after hearing him play it last night... it brought a tear to my eye).  He did Tickled and Satisfied and a buncha other ones.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:08:35 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: December 05, 2012, 10:37:47 PM »

he did Corinna and TAGS (my favorite -- I vowed to learn it on guitar after hearing him play it last night... it brought a tear to my eye).  He did Tickled and Satisfied and a buncha other ones.

I've seen Taj a couple of times, but probably not for about 20 years or so. I think the last time was probably up in Davis, at the original Palms Playhouse. (I still miss that room to this day.) I remember he just captivated the place--everyone was rapt, in the palm (no pun intended) of his hand. How old is he now anyway? He could have been in his 60s when I saw him but probably more like 40s or slightly older.

He's one of those guys that gets forgotten about, but he's a perennial--his music never comes into or goes out of style, it just *is.* Hoping you also got to hear his Fishin' Blues ("I'm-a goin' fishin', mama goin' fishin' and da baby goin' fishin' too"), and also She Caught the Katy (and Left Me a Mule to Ride). Both very fun, infectious songs. And She Caught the Katy has been adapted and reworked by Gillian Welch & David Rawlings. And are also well worth a look if you ever have a chance.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: December 07, 2012, 05:35:48 PM »

I've seen Taj a couple of times, but probably not for about 20 years or so. I think the last time was probably up in Davis, at the original Palms Playhouse. (I still miss that room to this day.) I remember he just captivated the place--everyone was rapt, in the palm (no pun intended) of his hand. How old is he now anyway? He could have been in his 60s when I saw him but probably more like 40s or slightly older.

He's one of those guys that gets forgotten about, but he's a perennial--his music never comes into or goes out of style, it just *is.* Hoping you also got to hear his Fishin' Blues ("I'm-a goin' fishin', mama goin' fishin' and da baby goin' fishin' too"), and also She Caught the Katy (and Left Me a Mule to Ride). Both very fun, infectious songs. And She Caught the Katy has been adapted and reworked by Gillian Welch & David Rawlings. And are also well worth a look if you ever have a chance.

Chron ran a review, saying a good time was had by all!

http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Taj-Mahal-review-Sublime-folk-blues-4098087.php
~CPL593H~

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: December 11, 2012, 09:21:01 PM »
Saw the SF Symphony's Colors of Christmas concert last night with TC.  Peabo Bryson, James Ingram, Stephanie Mills, Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis, Jr.  A whole lotta haaaaaayyyy going on!  Along with the Christmas classics, they sang some of their greatest hits (Just Once, Never Knew Lurve Like This Before, Ya Mo Be There, Age of Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In). 

The best part of the evening was when TC pointed and said, "Look, there's Peabo!".  Err, no, that's James Ingram, honey.    ::)  ;)

Kept thinking of RG and how he would've swooned over the songs!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: December 13, 2012, 07:46:02 AM »
Was too busy on FB last nite to comment here, but the Sandy benefit really was pretty great.   Esp Sir Paul, who totally rawked and did some of my fave lesser-played Wings songs like "Let Me Roll It" and "1985".

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: December 13, 2012, 09:40:54 AM »
Was too busy on FB last nite to comment here, but the Sandy benefit really was pretty great.   Esp Sir Paul, who totally rawked and did some of my fave lesser-played Wings songs like "Let Me Roll It" and "1985".

Had to share this here. After last night's show I was looking at the Who's tour schedule to see how close they were coming to Portland (answer: they aren't), but I was thrilled to see that their tour ends in Providence, RI at the Dunkin' Donuts Arena. Now that's some kinda great. Wonder if you find a donut and a cup of lousy coffee waiting on your seat prior to every event?
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1604 on: December 13, 2012, 11:19:25 AM »

Had to share this here. After last night's show I was looking at the Who's tour schedule to see how close they were coming to Portland (answer: they aren't), but I was thrilled to see that their tour ends in Providence, RI at the Dunkin' Donuts Arena. Now that's some kinda great. Wonder if you find a donut and a cup of lousy coffee waiting on your seat prior to every event?
I really enjoyed the Who.  The "Bellboy" thing with Keith was quite touching, but it made me miss John. I was fortunate enough to make a few basses for him, and see him work up close.  He was a soft-spoken gentleman.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!