Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 404081 times)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #1485 on: November 23, 2011, 07:25:38 AM »
This Noah & The Whale audience looks like a collection of kids who were ejected from a Creed show for excessive sarcasm.

But by and large it was very enjoyable. Apparently they have a pair of Top 20 hits in the U.K. I could see them having a minor hit in five years or so, at which point I can say I saw them before they sold out. Probably not more than 700 in attendance, of which 10% were devotees. We sat in the upper right balcony, right above the band. Good times, and the root beer floats weren't too shabby either. Was very impressed with the Great American Music Hall.

Wait... the GAMH holds 700 people?  Always seemed much smaller than that to me.

That's 'cause it is. I think the max legal capacity at the Music Hall is around 500 or so. Which is less than 700, so InSwellectual wasn't wrong, strictly speaking.

I've always been curious about this, so......

The Independent - 500
Slim's - 550
Great American Music Hall - 600
Mezzanine - 1000
The Fillmore - 1250
The Orpheum - 2200
The Warfield - 2450
Fox Theatre - 2800
The Paramount - 3040
Winterland - 5000
Henry J. Kaiser - 5400
Bill Graham Civic - 8500
Greek Theatre - 8500
Cow Palace - 16,500
Shoreline Amphitheatre - 22,000

Feel free to add to this!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: November 23, 2011, 08:49:02 AM »
This Noah & The Whale audience looks like a collection of kids who were ejected from a Creed show for excessive sarcasm.

But by and large it was very enjoyable. Apparently they have a pair of Top 20 hits in the U.K. I could see them having a minor hit in five years or so, at which point I can say I saw them before they sold out. Probably not more than 700 in attendance, of which 10% were devotees. We sat in the upper right balcony, right above the band. Good times, and the root beer floats weren't too shabby either. Was very impressed with the Great American Music Hall.

Wait... the GAMH holds 700 people?  Always seemed much smaller than that to me.

That's 'cause it is. I think the max legal capacity at the Music Hall is around 500 or so. Which is less than 700, so InSwellectual wasn't wrong, strictly speaking.

The Independent - 500
Slim's - 550
Mezzanine - 1000
The Fillmore - 1250
The Orpheum - 2200
The Warfield - 2450
Fox Theatre - 2800
The Paramount - 3040
Winterland - 5000
Henry J. Kaiser - 5400
Bill Graham Civic - 8500
Greek Theatre - 8500
Cow Palace - 16,500

Berkeley Community Theater is around 3200, I think. Supposedly it's the largest proscenium theater in the state.
Oakland Coliseum (or whatever it's called this week) used to be around 14K, before the big remodel in the late 90s. Now I think it's around 18K. Don't quote me.
Let's get right to it.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: November 23, 2011, 10:35:31 AM »
There were a lot of people standing on the floor, so my guestimate may have been a little off, but I figured :

About 25 people a row standing up on the floor
About 24 'rows'

Plus about 100 people in the balcony area.

Of course, what defines a 'row' is a bit tricky, so I could have overestimated a little. Regardless, it was an energetic gathering.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: November 23, 2011, 11:16:59 AM »
Wait... the GAMH holds 700 people?  Always seemed much smaller than that to me.
The Independent - 500
Slim's - 550
Mezzanine - 1000
The Fillmore - 1250
The Orpheum - 2200
The Warfield - 2450
Fox Theatre - 2800
The Paramount - 3040
Winterland - 5000
Henry J. Kaiser - 5400
Bill Graham Civic - 8500
Greek Theatre - 8500
Cow Palace - 16,500
Berkeley Community Theater is around 3200, I think. Supposedly it's the largest proscenium theater in the state.
Oakland Coliseum (or whatever it's called this week) used to be around 14K, before the big remodel in the late 90s. Now I think it's around 18K. Don't quote me.
The old Oakland Arena held 15K, after renovation its 19.5K basketball, 20K concerts.
Adding to the list:
Hotel Utah 90
Red Devil 120 seated, 200 if all standing
Bottom of the Hill 350
Cafe du Nord 350
Bimbo's 365= 685
Paradise Lounge 700
Herbst 900
Palace of Fine Arts 1000
The Grand at the Regency 1050
Masonic 3165
Concord Sleep Train Pavilion 12.5K
HP Pavilion 19K concerts, 17.5K hockey
More at http://thecolorawesome.com/2011/04/01/san-francisco-bay-area-music-venue-capacities/

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: November 23, 2011, 12:26:26 PM »
There were a lot of people standing on the floor, so my guestimate may have been a little off, but I figured :

About 24 'rows'

Of course, what defines a 'row' is a bit tricky, so I could have overestimated a little. Regardless, it was an energetic gathering.

And who's to say they didn't, ummm, maybe squeeze a hundred or so extra folks in there 'cause there was a demand for tickets. No, they'd never do that.

A friend who worked at BASS in the 80s and 90s said that once the Dead got their own BASS ticket printer in their box office, they'd call up prior to a run of shows and say "Oh, we were printing XXX tickets for the upcoming (venue name here) shows, and the printer ate 50 tickets. Could you add those back onto the system so we can reprint them?" Yeah, surrrre.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1490 on: November 23, 2011, 01:46:26 PM »

About 24 'rows'

And who's to say they didn't, ummm, maybe squeeze a hundred or so extra folks in there 'cause there was a demand for tickets. No, they'd never do that.

A friend who worked at BASS in the 80s and 90s said that once the Dead got their own BASS ticket printer in their box office, they'd call up prior to a run of shows and say "Oh, we were printing XXX tickets for the upcoming (venue name here) shows, and the printer ate 50 tickets. Could you add those back onto the system so we can reprint them?" Yeah, surrrre.
I have no doubt about that.  Some of the Dead shows at Winterland were packed beyond sardine-ville!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: November 23, 2011, 11:46:19 PM »

About 24 'rows'

I have no doubt about that.  Some of the Dead shows at Winterland were packed beyond sardine-ville!

This was more during the flood of Kaiser shows that happened between 84 and 89, but I don't doubt they had their ways of packing the house during the Winterland era too.

Btw, I followed a link that was at the bottom of Wayback's post above, and it led me to a Slim's/GAMH related site that gives the impression that the group running those two clubs is about to do something with the old UC Theatre in Berkeley. That'd be welcome. There hasn't been a good rock club in Berkeley (Gilman St. notwithstanding) since the Berkeley Square gave up the ghost a few years ago.

http://www.slimspresents.com/venue_detail/uc-theatre/
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: November 24, 2011, 07:58:18 AM »

About 24 'rows'

This was more during the flood of Kaiser shows that happened between 84 and 89, but I don't doubt they had their ways of packing the house during the Winterland era too.

I have no idea what the mechanism was for printing that many tickets.  This was in the days I think before the Dead had their own ticket service.  I just figured Bill sold too many tickets!

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: November 30, 2011, 10:00:22 AM »
Photos from rock's heyday
Rarely seen images by photogragher Tom O'Neal include BB King, Ray Charles, CSN&Y, Jim Croce, Joni Mitchell, Jefferson Airplane, Jim Morrison, Canned Heat, Grateful Dead.   Photo gallery:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/g/a/2011/11/30/rock_photography_carmel.DTL&object=

Accompanying article:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/11/30/rock_photography_carmel.DTL
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 10:03:39 AM by Wayback »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: November 30, 2011, 03:39:59 PM »
Photos from rock's heyday
Rarely seen images by photogragher Tom O'Neal include BB King, Ray Charles, CSN&Y, Jim Croce, Joni Mitchell, Jefferson Airplane, Jim Morrison, Canned Heat, Grateful Dead.   Photo gallery:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/g/a/2011/11/30/rock_photography_carmel.DTL&object=

Accompanying article:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/11/30/rock_photography_carmel.DTL
I'll be in Pacific Grove this weekend, maybe I can scoot over to Carmel to see the exhibit.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: November 30, 2011, 05:14:08 PM »
I will be at the Los Lobos show this Friday night at the Fillmore.  If any of you all are attending, let's meet up and say hey.  Or, in Sundaygal's case, "Haaaaay!"
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: November 30, 2011, 08:43:43 PM »
Wait... the GAMH holds 700 people?  Always seemed much smaller than that to me.
The Independent - 500
Slim's - 550
Mezzanine - 1000
The Fillmore - 1250
The Orpheum - 2200
The Warfield - 2450
Fox Theatre - 2800
The Paramount - 3040
Winterland - 5000
Henry J. Kaiser - 5400
Bill Graham Civic - 8500
Greek Theatre - 8500
Cow Palace - 16,500
The old Oakland Arena held 15K, after renovation its 19.5K basketball, 20K concerts.
Adding to the list:
Hotel Utah 90
Red Devil 120 seated, 200 if all standing
Bottom of the Hill 350
Cafe du Nord 350
Bimbo's 365= 685
Paradise Lounge 700
Herbst 900
Palace of Fine Arts 1000
The Grand at the Regency 1050
Masonic 3165
Concord Sleep Train Pavilion 12.5K
HP Pavilion 19K concerts, 17.5K hockey
More at http://thecolorawesome.com/2011/04/01/san-francisco-bay-area-music-venue-capacities/
San Jose Civic where I saw Tommy last month

Total Capacity: 2,890
Main Floor: 1,064
Dress Circle: 632 (49 stage-obstructed)
Balcony: 1,194 (90 stage-obstructed)
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: December 01, 2011, 09:11:06 AM »
Valerie Simpson makes her first public appearance since the death of Nick Ashford at the annual Glide benefit at the Warfield:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/01/DDDR1M1RQM.DTL
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: December 01, 2011, 12:41:29 PM »
Is anyone here going to KFOG Concert for Kids next week? I'm curious whether Peter Finch attends or not.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: December 03, 2011, 12:48:27 PM »