Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 404102 times)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #1410 on: September 12, 2011, 11:04:37 PM »
Tomorrow: Bruce Hornsby & the Noisemakers @ the Independent! (Thanks KFOG!  ;D)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: September 13, 2011, 05:58:15 AM »
Tomorrow: Bruce Hornsby & the Noisemakers @ the Independent! (Thanks KFOG!  ;D)

Tell me how the Noisemakers differ from the Range.  :P
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 06:01:25 AM by Swellegant »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: September 14, 2011, 05:24:30 PM »
Tomorrow: Bruce Hornsby & the Noisemakers @ the Independent! (Thanks KFOG!  ;D)

Tell me how the Noisemakers differ from the Range.  :P

Not that I've seen the Range :P , but the Noisemakers seem to be his attempt at a jam band.  This worked for his material from "Spirit Trail" & later.  But "The Way It Is," "Mandolin Rain," & "The End of the Innocence"...not so much.  These three were fine until they started unnecessarily jamming out right when the songs were supposed to end, for about four or five more minutes.  OTOH, this worked well with "Great Divide" & highlighted how good BH/N could possibly be.  The bluegrass version of "Jacob's Ladder" was a mess.  The bluegrass version of "The Valley Road" worked better, but I like the original better.  Still, props for him for trying to keep his catalogue interesting.  His cover of "I Can't Make You Love Me" was good.  He also played "Line in the Sand," "Shadow Hand," and the rest were more obscure tracks.  I was mad he didn't play "Gonna Be Some Changes Made" or "Circus on the Moon" or "What the Hell Happened to Me?" or anything else from "Halcyon Days" for that matter.  Seeing them at the Independent was awesome because the room was very small and standing only, and there almost wasn't enough room for that piano and all the other instruments.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Shake Some Action
« Reply #1413 on: September 14, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
Just learned from a FB friend that the Flamin' Groovies will be doing a few gigs in October. So far all are in So. Cal and Vegas, but as most of them still live in the Bay area, chances are good there will be at least one in SF or close proximity. Portland, probably not so much. The lineup this time is Roy Loney, Cyril Jordan, Larry Levy, and my friend John Moremen taking the drum chair. Here's the confirmed dates so far:

10/13 Glass House- Pomona, CA
10/15 "LAS VEGAS SHAKEDOWN"- Las Vegas Country Saloon
10/16 Alex's Bar- Long Beach, CA
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: September 16, 2011, 10:34:59 AM »
Bridge Benefit another fast sell out. There was a TWO ticket limit for reserved. WTF!? Can't take a family. I guess I know why it was done but I'm not pleased. I wasted time looking for 4 b/c I didn't see the limit posted, and then 2 weren't available for Saturday. Darn it. I refuse to sit on the lawn. I did get two for Sunday, my friend got them. We tag team the on sale with her going for the Sunday tix and me for the Saturday.  Happy for that.
Sharks bleed teal.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: September 17, 2011, 10:22:53 AM »
Bridge Benefit another fast sell out. There was a TWO ticket limit for reserved. WTF!? Can't take a family. I guess I know why it was done but I'm not pleased. I wasted time looking for 4 b/c I didn't see the limit posted, and then 2 weren't available for Saturday. Darn it. I refuse to sit on the lawn. I did get two for Sunday, my friend got them. We tag team the on sale with her going for the Sunday tix and me for the Saturday.  Happy for that.
I will be at Bridge show Sunday as well, perhaps we can cross paths.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: September 26, 2011, 02:34:05 PM »
The daily schedule for Hardly Strictly Bluegrass is up:

http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/2011/print-at-home/HSB11_Schedule.pdf

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: September 26, 2011, 05:22:38 PM »
The daily schedule for Hardly Strictly Bluegrass is up:

http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/2011/print-at-home/HSB11_Schedule.pdf

And KFOG, to their credit, is dedicating the Friday Morning Show to HSB, with Steve Earle and others lined up to play live from the Playspace. Take THAT, "too much country" complainers!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: September 27, 2011, 12:19:37 AM »
I will be at Bridge show Sunday as well, perhaps we can cross paths.
Absolutely. At one of the bars or beer kiosks. I'll message you my number closer to show time.
Sharks bleed teal.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: October 03, 2011, 05:16:15 PM »
hardly strictly bluegrass was extra special-like this year, b/c I got a backstage pass!   It's much more civilized way to go, so, you know, you should all try to get back stage passes for your next concert..   :)

yesterday I spent a good amount of time standing DIRECTLY behind one former lead singer of a band whose name shall remain anonymous but whose song shall remain the same. We were watching Buddy Miller.  I was trying to see if they dude has a hair weave, but could not see one for sure.  I think it's real.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: October 03, 2011, 05:42:32 PM »
hardly strictly bluegrass was extra special-like this year, b/c I got a backstage pass!   It's much more civilized way to go, so, you know, you should all try to get back stage passes for your next concert..   :)

yesterday I spent a good amount of time standing DIRECTLY behind one former lead singer of a band whose name shall remain anonymous but whose song shall remain the same. We were watching Buddy Miller.  I was trying to see if they dude has a hair weave, but could not see one for sure.  I think it's real.

I'd've been checking out another part of him to see if it was real...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 09:32:30 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: October 04, 2011, 09:33:22 AM »
In case you missed this piece on Blondie in Sunday's Chron:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=%2Fc%2Fa%2F2011%2F09%2F29%2FPK3L1L7ER4.DTL

anyone seeing them Friday nite? Sundaygal? Bueller?

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: October 13, 2011, 06:48:18 PM »
Bridge School Benefit Lineup Changes -
Jimmy Fallon to host the Saturday, October 22nd event
Norah Jones & The Little Willies and Devendra Banhart added to both Saturday and Sunday
Diana Krall unable to perform on Saturday due to a torn ACL
Jenny Lewis unable to perform Saturday and Sunday due to a family emergency
Revised Lineup -
25th Annual Bridge School Benefit Concerts
Saturday, October 22nd at 5pm
Sunday, October 23rd at 2pm
Shoreline Amphitheatre at Mountain View
Neil Young
Dave Matthews
Arcade Fire
Foo Fighters (Sunday only)
Tony Bennett (Sunday only)
Eddie Vedder
Los Invisibles featuring Carlos Santana, Cindy Blackman Santana and guests
Beck
Mumford & Sons
Norah Jones & The Little Willies
Devendra Banhart
and special guests

Still, should be fun, will catch up with Alicat there Oct 23, anyone else?

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: October 15, 2011, 12:21:17 AM »
Just came back from Bryan Ferry.  Hell yeah.  I enjoyed the Solid Gold backup dancers...and Chris Spedding, too.

I'm pretty sure I was on the same BART train coming back with Dred Scott AND TC, but wasn't 100% sure.  Besides, they were with their lady friends, and didn't wanna be all HAAAAAY.   :)

What was up with the screeching feedback towards the end?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 10:38:13 AM by sundaygal »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: October 15, 2011, 07:16:56 PM »
Just came back from Bryan Ferry.  Hell yeah.  I enjoyed the Solid Gold backup dancers...and Chris Spedding, too.

I'm pretty sure I was on the same BART train coming back with Dred Scott AND TC, but wasn't 100% sure.  Besides, they were with their lady friends, and didn't wanna be all HAAAAAY.   :)

What was up with the screeching feedback towards the end?

A couple of my friends who were there commented on that, too. One of them is a sound engineer, and he thought that the sax player's mic was shorting out thru her monitor. Painful for all parties, I'm sure.
Let's get right to it.