Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 404078 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #960 on: November 10, 2009, 10:48:21 AM »
oops! EJ & BJ cancelled for Saturday nite -- so much for KFOG giving away tix!

When EJ & BJ toured together last time (I wanna say 8 or 9 years ago) I saw BJ on Valencia St at that motorcycle showroom (Valencia & 15th). I'd always known he was short but damn he's tiny -- 5'4" at most. No wonder he was an angry young man!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: November 11, 2009, 08:03:41 AM »
TMBG in-store appearance tomorrow at Booksmith on Haight.  I bet it'll be jam-packed.  Booksmith is a small place! 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 08:08:12 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: November 12, 2009, 11:19:12 PM »
Just got back from seeing Ray Davies at the Warfield, who's touring in support of his new album of Kinks songs done w a choir.  He did two sets, the first started w him and his guitarist, then the rest of the band eventually came out.   They perf'd for a while and then took a break.  When they came back they had a 28-voice choir on stage as well.  They did a suite from Village Green, some classics like Waterloo Sunset, Days.  Victoria sounded really nice with a raucous chorus belting out the backing vox.  Great show, but I was a little hesitant at first, thinking the chorus idea would flop:  I had listened to some samples of the new album on Amazon, and wasn't digging it.  But in the live setting the rockiness off the band was more in front, and the vocal arrangements, which didn't jell for me on the record sample, melded nicely w the band.  I'll get a setlist somehow...!  (He did not do Lola, so to speak.)

SJ Merc
Review: Ray Davies delivers 'Kinks Choral'
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 06:12:14 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: November 15, 2009, 08:52:18 AM »
Just got back from seeing Ray Davies at the Warfield, who's touring in support of his new album of Kinks songs done w a choir.  He did two sets, the first started w him and his guitarist, then the rest of the band eventually came out.   They perf'd for a while and then took a break.  When they came back they had a 28-voice choir on stage as well.  They did a suite from Village Green, some classics like Waterloo Sunset, Days.  Victoria sounded really nice with a raucous chorus belting out the backing vox.  Great show, but I was a little hesitant at first, thinking the chorus idea would flop:  I had listened to some samples of the new album on Amazon, and wasn't digging it.  But in the live setting the rockiness off the band was more in front, and the vocal arrangements, which didn't jell for me on the record sample, melded nicely w the band.  I'll get a setlist somehow...!  (He did not do Lola, so to speak.)
SJ Merc
Review: Ray Davies delivers 'Kinks Choral'
Thanks for the review, interesting project.  I always appreciated the Kinks, have a nice memory of them playing my college in '79 or 80!

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: November 15, 2009, 08:54:32 AM »
Tix on sale now (I got mine!):
A Celebration of a Life Tribute to Norton Buffalo featuring the Steve Miller Band, Doobie Brothers, Bonnie Raitt, Huey Lewis, George Thorogood, Elvin Bishop, Charlie Musselwhite, Roy Rogers, The Knockouts. MC Wavy Gravy.  Fox Theater, Oakland, Sat, January 23, 2010.
Musicians and friends are coming together on Sat, January 23, 2010 at The Fox Theater Oakland to honor and celebrate the life of Norton Buffalo, who appeared on more than 180 albums performing with numerous artists over the course of his storied career and spent 33 years as a member of the Steve Miller Band. Join us on January 23rd at the Fox for a benefit concert with many of Norton Buffalo's friends, including The Steve Miller Band, The Doobie Brothers, Bonnie Raitt, Huey Lewis, George Thorogood, Elvin Bishop, Roy Rogers, Charlie Musselwhite and The Knockouts. 100% of net proceeds from this concert benefit the Buffalo family. Tickets are a non-deductible contribution.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: November 17, 2009, 06:58:38 AM »
There's an exhibition called "Something's Happenin' Here: Bay Area Rock & Roll 1963-1973" (photos, posters, costumes, instruments, other items) on view now through Aug 2010 at the Museum of Performance & Design, 401 Van Ness, SF (4th floor of Veteran's Bldg), Wed's-Sat's 12-5pm, FREE admission ($5 donation suggested).  More details: http://www.mpdsf.org/EXHIBITIONS/ROCKNROLL/RNR.html
Check out samples photos (some well-known, some less-known performers):
http://www.mpdsf.org/EXHIBITIONS/ROCKNROLL/RNR.swf

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: November 17, 2009, 10:51:17 AM »
TMBG in-store appearance tomorrow at Booksmith on Haight.  I bet it'll be jam-packed.  Booksmith is a small place!

Saw them!  :)  It was full but honestly not jam-packed like I thought it'd be either. (I thought it'd be so full that people wouldn't be able to get in...but I got in at 4 and I could even get close enough to see the band.)  Perhaps because it wasn't that heavily advertised.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: November 19, 2009, 09:57:36 AM »
Just announced, for those who care: KFOG Concert For Kids features Brandi Carlisle and Mat Kearney this year.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: November 19, 2009, 10:06:20 AM »

Just announced, for those who care: KFOG Concert For Kids features Brandi Carlisle and Mat Kearney this year.

Well in that case, no, I don't care.  What happened to the days when the could get Van Morrison or the Pretenders?

Oh wait, that was just last year wasn't it?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #969 on: November 19, 2009, 10:25:35 PM »
I think this is when you young folk say "meh!"
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: November 20, 2009, 09:51:29 AM »
Renee just mentioned that Jim Lauderdale is playing in my 'hood tonite, at Noe Valley Ministry.  I was a fan back in the '90s; saw him open for Nick Lowe at Slim's in '95 or thereabouts and he did a bunch of slow depressing songs; none of his upbeat alt-country toe-tappers that had actually, y'know, gotten airplay. I was quite mystified.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: November 20, 2009, 10:15:37 AM »
Renee just mentioned that Jim Lauderdale is playing in my 'hood tonite, at Noe Valley Ministry.  I was a fan back in the '90s; saw him open for Nick Lowe at Slim's in '95 or thereabouts and he did a bunch of slow depressing songs; none of his upbeat alt-country toe-tappers that had actually, y'know, gotten airplay. I was quite mystified.

He's been Elvis Costello's musical foil for the last several months, playing in EC's band and on his most recent record, Secret, Profane & Sugarcane.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: November 20, 2009, 10:55:33 AM »

Hmm, I may have to chk that out!  I think I saw him and Hardly Strictly a couple years back and liked him
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #973 on: November 20, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
Jim has also worked with Robert Hunter.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: November 20, 2009, 02:19:14 PM »
After missing Peter Bjorn & John when Depeche Mode got cancelled, I got to see them last night @ the Great American Music Hall :) (Thanks Live 105!)  They were GREAT!  So unexpectedly adorable...and for being Scandinavians they really weren't that weird. (Their opening band, El Perro Del Mar was pretty weird though...but not half bad.)

Was also there last week to see Josh Joplin's new band w/ Garrison Starr called "Among the Oak and Ash."  They were there with Landon Pigg & a Fine Frenzy, who I don't really care about, but weren't even listed because they were 'pre-openers'...pshaw.  I was obsessed (& still am) with his song from about 8 years ago, "Camera One".  I know KFOG played it back in the day, it's a shame they don't give it much love anymore (or any other station for that matter).

His new band plays sort of alt-country covers of old folk songs & they have a few originals that are in the same vein.  It worked!  Hope his new band lasts longer than his prevous Group.