Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 403647 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #930 on: October 09, 2009, 08:37:09 PM »
The BeatlesFest West convention is today/Sat/Sun in SF, at the Scottish Rite Center, 19th Ave & Sloat.  Beatles tribute bands, swap meet, displays, etc: http://www.beatlesfestwest.com

I have friends who've been to these conventions, but I've never been.  Recommend it?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
West Fest free concert in the park 10/25
« Reply #931 on: October 10, 2009, 09:58:21 AM »
A friend just forwarded this to me. I won't be able to go, but some of y'all might:

40th Anniversary of Woodstock
Free Concert Golden Gate Park
San Francisco, Sunday, October 25, 2009

Event:             “West Fest” Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of Woodstock.
Attraction:      42 bands, 3 stages and 26 poster artists. Solar domes, Alternative vehicles, Electric bikes, Native American Tipi Village, Sustainable Living Road Show, Conscious Art Gallery, Light Temple, Holistic Healing Section, Hooper Heaven, Rock’n Green Kids Zone and Eco Village vendors. Narada Michael Walden featuring Vernon Ice Black leading 3,000 guitar players and closing the show with the Hendrix Experience reenactment and Superstar Jam
Admission:      FREE
When:             October 25, 2009, 9am to 6pm
Where:            Speedway Meadows, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, CA USA
Producer:       2b1 Multimedia Inc. and the Council of Light in association with Artie Kornfeld, the original producer of “Woodstock 1969”
Non-Profit:     501-(c) 3
Contact:          Boots Hughston, 415-861-1520 www.2b1records.com/woodstock40sf or woodstock40sf@yahoo.com

Acts confirmed with more to come:
Jefferson Starship; Leslie West (Mountain); Jerry Harrison (Talking Heads) with Ronnie Montrose; Lester Chambers (the Chambers Brothers); Country Joe McDonald; Denny Laine (of Paul McCartney, Wings, Moody Blues); The Original Lowrider Band (with Lee Oskar); Narada Michael Walden featuring Vernon Ice Black leading 3,000 guitar players and closing the show with the Hendrix Experience reenactment Superstar Jam; Greg Errico, Jerry Martini, Cynthia Robinson (From Sly and the Family Stone); David and Linda La Flamme (It’s a Beautiful Day); Michael McClure (Beat Poet) and Ray Manzarek (from the Doors), George Brooks, Kai Eckhardt, Jay Lane; Lydia Pense and Cold Blood; Terry Haggerty (from the Sons of Champlin); Annie Sampson and her band; Nick Gravenites Band; Harvey Mandel and the Snake band; Barry “The Fish” Melton (of Country Joe and the Fish); Jerry Miller and Jim Post; Lost Creek Gang and the Merry Pranksters with Ken Babbs, George Walker, and Mountain Girl; El Chicano; Alameda All Stars (Gregg Allman’s Band); Edwin Hawkins and The New Edwin Hawkins Singers “Oh Happy Day”; David Denny (from Steve Miller) with Prairie Prince (of The Tubes), Diana Mangano (formerly of The Jefferson Starship), Greg Douglas, Carlos Reyes; PF Sloan; Jimmy McCarty (from Detroit Wheels); Peter Kaukonen (from Jefferson Airplane); John York (from the Byrds); Leigh Stephens (from Blue Cheer); Kathi McDonald and Friends; Cathy Richardson band; Joli Valenti and Tony Saunders; Mitchell Holman (It’s a Beautiful Day), Miles Schon Band; Jose Neto and Friends; Rock Hendricks (Bobby Womack, The Jackson 5, The funkidelics); George Michalski; Jeff Jolly; Scoop Nisker - KFOG; David Harris – speaker; Matthew Rosenthal – Prevent Hate; Bettina Aptheker – Free Speech Movement;  Ben Fong -Torres (Rolling Stone); David Hilliard - Black Panther Party; Benjamin Hernandez – Hearts and Hands elders; Blue Thunder – spiritual healer, Teton; Dennis Peron and Richard Eastman (Marijuana Initiative); David Rovic; Rabbi Joseph Langer ; Ed Rosenthal; Terence Hallinan  (Former SF DA); Gene “DR Hip” Schoenfeld;  Paul “Lobster” Wells (DJ), Aron “Pieman” Kay (from the Yippies); Alex Reymundo – comedian; Doug Green MC; Some acts can not be advertised because of contractual obligations.

Poster series: Stanley Mouse, Arnold Skolnick (original Woodstock 69 poster artist), Chris Shaw, Mike Dolgushkin, Wendy Wright, David Singer, Mark Henson, Carolyn Ferris, Dave Huckins, Lee Conklin, Bob Masse, Andrew Annenberg, Victor Moscosco, Michael Moss, Thomas Yeates, Chrissy Costello, Gilbert Johnson and Dusty Hughston, Michael Rios, Burry Olsen, Pat Ryan, Ron Donovin – Fire House Crew..

In honor of Jimi Hendrix, who headlined the festival in 1969, 3,000
guitar players will attempt to break the World's Record for the Largest
Guitar Ensemble playing "Purple Haze" -- all at the same time!

Players are encouraged to register at:

www.steveroby.com/Jimi_Hendrix_Archives/Register.html

OVERVIEW:

Woodstock was not just an event, a happening, or a concert with 400,000 people.  It was a pivotal moment of realization for an entire generation, an epiphany, a moment of realization for the entire country. The hip movement started in San Francisco a couple of years earlier in the Haight Ashbury and the “Summer of Love” had spread across the nation. There were now millions of hip people with 400,000 of them converging on Woodstock.

Woodstock was a statement to the world, “humanity had evolved”, coming together through peace, love and spirituality. An event whose original intent was to make money became the largest FREE event in history. The hip movement had come of age and was recognized by the world. The principles of love swept the country and we had become the ‘Woodstock Nation”.
Hundreds of San Francisco stars and musical luminaries will perform at this October 25, 2009 event to commemorate the original principles of peace, love and spirituality. The Woodstock 40th will begin with a blessing by the American Indigenous People and several Beat Generation poets. There will be many speakers from the Peace Movement, the Free Speech Movement and the Anti-War Movement along with many of the acts who originally performed at Woodstock (to be announced). There will also be an “Eco Friendly Green Village” highlighting the products, services, and information of the emerging green movement. 

Some good bands playing, but man, that world record attempt w/ 3000 guitarists playing Purple Haze could be absolutely painful. I picture just one big inaudible morass of feedback.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 10:00:40 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: October 10, 2009, 10:58:57 PM »
woodfest...same day as Bridge.
Sharks bleed teal.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: October 11, 2009, 09:34:42 AM »
“West Fest” Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of Woodstock.
 42 bands,
When:             October 25, 2009, 9am to 6pm
Where:            Speedway Meadows, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, CA US

I'll prob check at least some of this out: I usually ride my bike through GGPark on weekends anyway, so instead of having to swerve around aging hippies, I'll join them, although I don't see many acts that I would go out of my way to see.

These look interesting:
Leslie West , Ronnie Montrose, David & Linda La Flamme, Original Low Rider Band (that's actually four guys from "War," although they don't own the rights to the name, and they don't even mention War on the lowriderband.com website in the "bio" section.)  But sometimes you never know when and where good music and good times will crop up...

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 02:13:55 PM by ggould »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: October 11, 2009, 03:37:35 PM »
Gaz & the princess might also be interested in the Treasure Island Music Festival, which is next weekend. (this one ain't free, tho')  I recall Gaz saying nice things about MGMT earlier this year.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/11/PKAN1A0H3J.DTL
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: October 15, 2009, 11:39:43 AM »
just announced: MGMT tix on sale at noon today for a show at the Independent tomorrow:

http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail?dispatch=loadSelectionData&eventId=2988114

I might try for this.
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: October 20, 2009, 10:59:38 AM »
Nice interview with Walter Becker in advance of the run of Dan shows starting tonight:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/20/DDDA1A66CM.DTL

Davefish, you're going tonight, yes?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: October 23, 2009, 08:34:01 AM »
this artists-doing-entire-LPs-in-concert thing is sweeping the nation, apparently. Todd is doing A Wizard... a True Star live at the Palace of Fine Arts in December.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: October 23, 2009, 08:40:04 AM »
this artists-doing-entire-LPs-in-concert thing is sweeping the nation, apparently. Todd is doing A Wizard... a True Star live at the Palace of Fine Arts in December.

yes, and last night, at the Fox Theater in Oakland, Echo and The Bunnymen performed their Ocean Rain album with a small orchestra.  I didn't go, however. I was very tempted, but I could so easily drop 50+ bucks on any of several shows on any given month.  There's always something good -- and pricey -- that I'd love to see.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: October 23, 2009, 09:28:04 AM »

yes, and last night, at the Fox Theater in Oakland, Echo and The Bunnymen performed their Ocean Rain album with a small orchestra.  I didn't go, however. I was very tempted, but I could so easily drop 50+ bucks on any of several shows on any given month.  There's always something good -- and pricey -- that I'd love to see.

indeed -- were it not for poc tonite, there'd be Lloyd Cole (sans Commotions) at the Swedish-American Hall.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: October 23, 2009, 10:06:40 AM »

Oh. My. God.  I'd pay money to see that. Wonder if he's playing Portland or Seattle? Off to Pollstar!

ETA: No luck. SF, Sacramento, LA and Ventura are all that's listed. :(
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 10:09:10 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: October 27, 2009, 06:31:55 AM »
Clapton pulls out of Rock Hall NYC concert for gallstone surgery, Jeff Beck to replace him. Springsteen also questionable for that show following death of his cousin/roadie:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091027/en_nm/us_clapton_2

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: October 27, 2009, 06:45:35 AM »
69-photo slideshow of Neil's Bridge School shows this past weekend w/No Doubt, Jimmy Buffett, Sheryl Crow, Adam Sandler, Chris Martin, more:
http://www.livedaily.com/news/bridge-school-benefit-gallery-spotlight-mountain-view-ca-oct-24-25-2009-20500.html

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: October 27, 2009, 07:37:48 AM »
Clapton pulls out of Rock Hall NYC concert for gallstone surgery

I always said Crapton had a lot of gall...   ;)