Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 401856 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #885 on: September 08, 2009, 05:05:27 PM »
So does he get to go to the show with you? (If so you might want to call & make sure they're allowing kids of his age into the show.)

I actually heard that!  I was down checking the FM reception thing on my stereo, and switched to KFOG just then!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: September 09, 2009, 09:48:18 PM »
So all last week Annalisa was giving away Doobies at the Fillmore tix on her Mid-Day Mind Games.  And she was just playing the opening notes to well-know songs & you had to ID the song.  On Friday I was driving with my kids to Sweet Tomatoes when this came on again, so I dialed my phone & handed it to my son Adrian (the one who met Dave Mack & his wife at the Lyle Lovett show) who was riding shotgun, and said to him, "Let me know if it rings".  Right then Annalisa played the opening bar of "China Grove", so I said, "if it rings and someone answers, just tell them it's 'China Grove'."

So he says it's ringing and then I hear him say, "My name is Adrian & my dad's name is Mark"..."Yes, it's China Grove"..."I'm 9"..."We love the Doobies"..."Okay, I'll hold."

We pulled into the parking lot just in time to hear the palyback of the exchange, which was pretty cool since the reason Adrian was riding shotgun was that his brother & two friends were in the back seat.  So they all got to hear him win the tix on the radio.

This is the coolest thing I've heard in a long time.  Way to go!  (Tell Adrian I'm applauding him right now!  :D )

PS: I'd like to retell this story on my blog, if you don't mind.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 09:50:17 PM by Gazoo »
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: September 09, 2009, 11:21:23 PM »

So he says it's ringing and then I hear him say, "My name is Adrian & my dad's name is Mark"..."Yes, it's China Grove"..."I'm 9"..."We love the Doobies"..."Okay, I'll hold."

We pulled into the parking lot just in time to hear the palyback of the exchange, which was pretty cool since the reason Adrian was riding shotgun was that his brother & two friends were in the back seat.  So they all got to hear him win the tix on the radio.

:) :) this is very awesome!
~CPL593H~

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: September 10, 2009, 07:57:50 AM »
So all last week Annalisa was giving away Doobies at the Fillmore tix on her Mid-Day Mind Games.  And she was just playing the opening notes to well-know songs & you had to ID the song.  On Friday I was driving with my kids to Sweet Tomatoes when this came on again, so I dialed my phone & handed it to my son Adrian (the one who met Dave Mack & his wife at the Lyle Lovett show) who was riding shotgun, and said to him, "Let me know if it rings".  Right then Annalisa played the opening bar of "China Grove", so I said, "if it rings and someone answers, just tell them it's 'China Grove'."

This is the coolest thing I've heard in a long time.  Way to go!  (Tell Adrian I'm applauding him right now!  :D )

PS: I'd like to retell this story on my blog, if you don't mind.
Most excellent for the little Shray. Kinda means he needs to go to the show. Way to train in ticket winning ways early on.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: September 11, 2009, 10:06:38 AM »
Went to the show with Adrian last night, and we both enjoyed it very much.  There were generally only 2-3 people between us and the stage, so it was close enough that he could get decent viewing angles despite being a foot and a half shorter than everyone else.  Lots of people, incl. staff thought it was really cool for him to attend (and Christina even had him wearing his tie-dye t-shirt when he got dressed in the morning).

Tom Johnston's teen-age looking daughter Lara was the opening act, and she's got a voice like Susan Tedeschi.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: September 15, 2009, 09:19:04 AM »
Happy cat. Been waiting for Knopfler to come to N. America after Europe and he'll get here in April. Playing Portland and Eugene then Oakland and Santa Rosa. I'm going to try for Oakland tix. Saw him years ago at Mtn. Winery and it was wonderful.
Sharks bleed teal.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: September 15, 2009, 11:38:07 AM »
Peter Hartlaub  chimes in on just-announced Bridge School Benefit (Oct 24-25) lineup:

Neil Young
Chris Martin from Coldplay
No Doubt
Sheryl Crow
Monsters of Folk
Gavin Rossdale
Fleet Foxes
Wolfmother
Jimmy Buffett (Saturday only)
Adam Sandler (Sunday only)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/culture/detail?entry_id=47558
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: September 15, 2009, 09:24:19 PM »
Peter Hartlaub  chimes in on just-announced Bridge School Benefit (Oct 24-25) lineup:

Neil Young
No Doubt
Sheryl Crow
Monsters of Folk
Gavin Rossdale
Fleet Foxes
Wolfmother

Read that earlier today. Have to say, I agree with him. Pretty lame lineup, imo. Looks like they're going for the younger demographic. That's a long way from Townshend or Bowie or McCartney or some of the other luminaries they've had on the bill in the past. However, Pearl Jam is not listed either, so props for that.

In somewhat happier news, rumors are flying that Pavement will reunite next year.
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2009/09/the_pavement_re.html
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: September 15, 2009, 09:52:43 PM »

Neil Young
No Doubt
Sheryl Crow
Monsters of Folk
Gavin Rossdale
Fleet Foxes
Wolfmother

I go every year. Doesn't really matter about the line up. Took my kids last year, it was their first show. Taking them to Chickenfoot this month on the 25th.
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: September 16, 2009, 12:24:40 AM »
Monsters of Folk hold promise - they're an indie-rock "supergroup," which could make them their generation's CSNY - and I highly recommend Fleet Foxes.  This may not be a "legendary" roster but it's a good one.  How hard is it to get tickets?  I've never contemplated going before.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: September 16, 2009, 07:38:46 AM »

Neil Young
No Doubt
Sheryl Crow
Monsters of Folk
Gavin Rossdale
Fleet Foxes
Wolfmother

I go every year. Doesn't really matter about the line up. Took my kids last year, it was their first show. Taking them to Chickenfoot this month on the 25th.

I'm not clear on what Sandler's doing there. Is he gonna sing? His stand-up act isn't exactly family-friendly, and gawd knows his politics are the opposite of Neil's.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: September 16, 2009, 10:01:07 AM »
I'm not clear on what Sandler's doing there. Is he gonna sing? His stand-up act isn't exactly family-friendly, and gawd knows his politics are the opposite of Neil's.

I didn't think Neil's politics were consistent enough to call anything "the opposite of" them.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: September 16, 2009, 10:35:17 AM »

I didn't think Neil's politics were consistent enough to call anything "the opposite of" them.

Wrong...he could consistently be called the opposite of himself.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: September 16, 2009, 12:02:56 PM »

Wrong...he could consistently be called the opposite of himself.

Obviously Neil has gone back-n-forth over the years (he's an iconoclast, fer sure), but I generally think of him as NoCalLefty, give or take. And Sandler is quite a right-winger from what I understand, so it's a curious pairing from that angle  (compared to, say, Neil hanging out with Eddie Vedder). So, nice that Adam's willing to make the trip.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: September 16, 2009, 03:24:46 PM »
Monsters of Folk hold promise - they're an indie-rock "supergroup," which could make them their generation's CSNY - and I highly recommend Fleet Foxes.  This may not be a "legendary" roster but it's a good one.  How hard is it to get tickets?  I've never contemplated going before.
Lawn seating = easy, relatively inexpensive
Section 100's (lower bowl) = Hard to get, costly
Section 200's = Can usually obtain easily, still somewhat costly after ticketbastard fees

I'd love to host you and get you to the show.  My girlfriend who usually parties with me at most shows is flying to Vegas on Bridge weekend for U2. I think it's U2. I used to go both days but cut back to one day last ear. This year I prefer Sunday with Sandler. Maybe he'll sing the Channukah song.... not.

Sharks bleed teal.